Bush Hawk FPS

Just Fly

Hello!

I just flew the intoduction flight and I have to say this plane is excellent!

Unfortunately, I get very bad FPS flying it (around 8-10 FPS, sometimes even 3!). Usually I get around 24 FPS (and maybe more if I try Mathijs's suggestions).

Poly models are set to high, and resolution texture also.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 with a i7 920 CPU, a nVidia 8500GT (512 Mb) graphic card and 6 GB DDR3 RAM (so CPU and RAM aren't a problem biggrin.gif ). DirectX 10 is switched off.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Again, thank you, Thorsten, for this wonderful piece of FSX art!

OK, let's continue.

After some settings tests, I got a little (really a little) more FPS: now it's between 10 and 12. I only slowed down terrain settings, but also activated the AA.

I'm actually thinking about change poly models from high to low. Will it help and what will I "loose"?

I just switched from high poly models to low ones. That makes only 3 FPS more on my machine. I'll try for the resolution texture.

I've got two little problems more yet:

I flew the FlyIn Fishing assisted flight today, and my BHXP went up and up, really up (more than 20° pitching), even with throttle 50% and flaps up. I had to apply full trim to correct this. Is it normal? I also couldn't change the fuel quantity using the default FSX fuel and payload system (see below), as well as the other values that should be flexible.

They are a lot more than free flights though. Each Assisted Flight includes:

• [...]
  • Free flexibility to change fuel, payload, aircraft, daytime,... (normally this is not possible in missions)
  • [...]

Small question about the cargo:

If I understood well, to load/unload cargo or passengers in assisted flights, I should use the menu which pops up when we set the parking brake. But how to do it in free flight? Also, how to change fuel in assisted flights (in FlyIn Fyshing, I had to use my co-pilot as the third passenger because I couldn't change the fuel)?

PS: If I can suggest you something to add to the service pack, I would say: "Add the "Unload rear seats" option (I have only the "Install rear seats" option) to the assisted flight menu. Actually, I need to use "Empty aircraft" option and then to reload cargo"

EDIT:

I finished FlyIn Fishing without to have to unload passengers or cargo (and wasn't invited to this BBQ tongue.gif ). Is it normal?

The Assisted Flights are no missions like others. You have to do most things by yourself without the mission reminding you about it all the time (boarding, flying, navigating,...).

So everything you experienced is actually ok. In free flight you can only change fuel and payload with the normal menu.

The center of gravity in Flyin Fishing is pretty far in the back of the aircraft, some nasty thing we implemented to give an extra challenge. (you never know how some people load their aircraft :D )

The Assisted Flights are no missions like others. You have to do most things by yourself without the mission reminding you about it all the time (boarding, flying, navigating,...).

So everything you experienced is actually ok. In free flight you can only change fuel and payload with the normal menu.

The center of gravity in Flyin Fishing is pretty far in the back of the aircraft, some nasty thing we implemented to give an extra challenge. (you never know how some people load their aircraft biggrin.gif )

So really no messages? Even not one?

About the center of gravity: I couldn't change the fuel, that's why this happened. My main problem remains the issue with loading/unloading fuel in assisted flights.

EDIT: The fuel is not only a problem for the center of gravity, it's also a problem for overweight. FlyIn Fishing starts with +/- 300 Ibs overload. Fuel dumping is one of the possible solutions, but I cannot open the default FSX fuel and payload system. Maybe there is a key assignement to do so?

No messages, that's why they're not called "missions".

you can dump fuel with the payload calculator (the only thing you can actually change with it). But this will not change the COG as the fuel is in the wings, right above the COG. The aircraft will still have to be trimmed a lot on that flight. ;)

You can dump fuel with the payload calculator (the only thing you can actually change with it). But this will not change the COG as the fuel is in the wings, right above the COG.

Thanks a lot for your help, Thorsten!

I didn't see this little "dump" button before (even if I saw it, I would never think it's functionnal, because I read the manual first).

Those assisted flights are awesome! The first four are already done, and I probably won't be on this forum some days: the Aleutian flights will take all my time...

• Upvote 1

The center of gravity in Flyin Fishing is pretty far in the back of the aircraft, some nasty thing we implemented to give an extra challenge. (you never know how some people load their aircraft biggrin.gif )

Only in FlyIn Fishing? I'm experiencing this (more or less) also in Flightseeing Mt Edgecombe, Flightseeing Blue Mountains (which looks awesome with ORBX software!), and Columbia Spring assisted flights.

A little thing about the Columbia Spring assisted flight:

I think there is a little mistake: the estimated time to complete looks more like 1 hour 45 min than only 45 min... wink.gif

Well, you always need to trim your aircraft carefully, as far as I know the aircraft is rather flyable with the right trimming in those assisted flights.

1:45 hour, that might come closer to the real flight time, you're right.

It bears repeating the advice I give to all new `armchair` pilots when trying the sim out for the first - or 21,000th time for that matter - that FS as a desktop simulation product cannot give the level of feedback of trimming a real airplane, nor can it do more than approximate the actual functionality of the trim in a real aircraft.

In FS, trim functions as an additional control surface, adding or subtracting from the control inputs manually introduced through rudder, elevator and aileron controller by the simmer. This remains totally incorrect relative to the real world, but until force feedback reaches a new level of development - or one uses FF controllers together with the payware FS Force utility - there is no realism to trim in FS. The simplistic reasoning has always been that most controllers use springs which tend to centralise the yoke or stick, compensating for the absence of travel or true force feedback - or trim as we call it in real flying! Sadly FF joysticks (there are no FF yokes or rudder pedals) then compound the error by not using a compensation force because the basic sim is set up for non-FF spring-loaded sticks, but rather uses FF for other purposes which while useful, are completely missing the key point of FF in a flying simulator in the first place!

Therefore to use trim `correctly` in FSX (or earlier versions) one needs to interpret the trim function slightly differently:

Instead of setting a trim level then taking off, one starts the take-off run, then at Vr one pulls slightly aft on the controller to initiate elevator input and rotation, THEN ADD TRIM WITHOUT MAKING FURTHER ELEVATOR ADJUSTMENT UNTIL THE AIRCRAFT ASSUMES THE CORRECT T/O ATTITUDE.

That is `correct` trim for the sim, and no amount of indication on controls in VC or 2d panels or trim wheels is worth a damn, except for setting a start point, which should be done as part of pre- or post-start checklist.

FS Force does provide a truer, more realistic force feedback experience, but still relies on a base level trim setting to be correct as it adds force to the trim level which can be felt at the joystick, then genuinely trimmed out while the stick position remains constant.

As most simmers dont use FS Force, or even force feedback, the former advice remains the consistent method of operating ANY aircraft in FS, and the Bush Hawk, Dornier, Twotter et al are no different for all their complexity. Try it and see. You don't even LOOK at the trim setting as it is purely result driven.

• Upvote 2