Question of the day <----------------------

"A Bird Dog is a person who is paid a referral fee for locating and promoting business opportunities for someone else."

So I've also read about a company that did "bird-dogging" in the aviation industry. I think it's basicly about tracking prices and airlines and issuing airfare saving alerts on flights.

Yapta starts bird-dogging 9 more International Carriers

It's a pointer like an ADF's. It is a M. C. Escher invention that can remplace HSI or CDI.

Quotation from http://www.fepco.com/:

"When I started flying the bush, navaids, mostly NDBs, were few and far between, so it is not surprising that I developed a fondness for the radio magnetic indicator (RMI). But of what real use in an area rapidly converting to VORs is an expensive instrument that, for all practical purposes, takes a nice reasonable VOR and turns it into a NDB? One that, in fact, forces us to exchange our nice HSI or CDI -- in a strange M. C. Escher transformation -- for a bird-dog pointer just like an ADF's?"

Ah, I think it is to frequently chase the needle of for example the ADF to steer back onto a course.

Pick a runway at KSFO (San Francisco intnl.) ...such as 28 R .get off the ground and turn on heading of 150 degrees ...now set nav1 to Salinas(117.3) DME about 65 naughts away and steer the 777 toward the needle ( if the needle deviates from the 12'o clock position ) you steer toward or into the needle ,it will begin to move back toward 12'0 clock ...doing this frequently is called bird dogging (or bracketing) and should be avoided ...

It is to frequently chase the needle of the RMI to keep it in the 12'o clock position when flying on a course towards a NDB or VOR. Or it is to frequently make corrections to keep the RMI needle at the heading/course that you want.. Do I say it more correctly now? rolleyes.gif

It is to frequently chase the needle of the RMI to keep it in the 12'o clock position when flying on a course towards a NDB or VOR. Or it is to frequently make corrections to keep the RMI needle at the heading/course that you want.. Do I say it more correctly now? rolleyes.gif

If Mathijs says that it is almost correct, i would like to add that it is also called bracketing.

I simply can't explain it :(, but i found a site that can explain from an example.

http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/bracket.htm

If Mathijs says that it is almost correct, i would like to add that it is also called bracketing.

I've already mentioned that wink.gif

...doing this frequently is called bird dogging (or bracketing) and should be avoided ...

• Aerosoft

Yeah we'll buy that. It's best described by keeping the nose pointed towards the destination (visually or by ADF) and not compensating for crosswind. The resulting track will be a curve with the heading ever more upwind. Not very neat piloting as it would be far better to crab towards the destination in a straight line. But easy if there is not a lot of wind and when you just don't care.

post-43-126149369878_thumb.jpg