FSXi or FS11

petergraves757

Hello All, I was serching on google and found this link: http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=47090

Obviously any new flight sim is always of interest to me but as we all know that Microsoft have given the impression that they are not going to continue Flight Sim on the PC after FSX, so why do people post these on Forums, it just annoys me a bit.

What is the thoughts of all our fellow simmers to this link

I say its 100% untrue!!!

Hello Peter,

Quite frankly I'm sure Microsoft would be on an advertising campaign if it was going to be released when he says it will be.

I personally would take no notice of these remarks until you hear it from the horses mouth.

There is no development going on at MS on ANY next-generation flight simulation game - sim or shoot-em-up. The team has been dissolved. `Outside contractor` is nonsense.

MS would only take on outside contractors if they can do so under the umbrella of their own design studio. That was how it was for FSX, with some `name` developers who we better know as aftermarket suppliers developing for the platform. Just look at the box credits on the written manual, it's all there.

Now, that said, assuming this chappie isn't lying through his first post teeth (which is the likeliest explanation) what we do not know is how far into `FSXI` development ACES was before they got their marching orders: Phil Taylor hadn't commented on early Alphas, as they only committed to the next iteration after completing SP2/Acceleration and of course all further development on FSX ceased. Stated fact.

So it is entirely possible, if not likely that renderings, base development mules or even early speculative features might have been touted around Redmond - after all they didn't know they were getting kicked out!

What would be extremely disappointing, and therefore render irrelevant anything this jerk says, is if that WERE true it would have meant they were building on the same old platform - and that seemed quite likely as MS were at the time touting for business with the FS-derived ESP project, which has now been licensed to Lockheed Martin

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2009/nov09/11-30warfightertrainingpr.mspx?rss_fdn=Custom

but which specifically EXCLUDES the gaming market.

So, in the absence of definitive confirmation I think you are already closer to the Next Generation Flight Simulator than you would be from visiting other, lesser, liar-filled fora... ;)

One of the old ACES members commented that he got his job back, basically doing the same stuff as he used to do... Maybe he was just talking about modelling or games programming in general, or maybe not?

One of the old ACES members commented that he got his job back, basically doing the same stuff as he used to do... Maybe he was just talking about modelling or games programming in general, or maybe not?

Microsoft have the capability to reintroduce a simulation product whenever they want. They just don't want. Not now. Based on previous MS trading history they will wait for a new developer to exploit the now-vacant playing field, then buy them out. It worked before, and MS don't have the quandary of choosing to develop for DX10, DX11 and risk getting it so very wrong, again. There is no development team working on an aviation simulation product for the PC. Who knows what they're up to with other hardware like Playgame station box 44 or whatever that rubbish is called. And who cares?

The only `risk` is that a platform developed away from the dictats of MS might not feel so avuncular toward DirectX and might lean in a different direction - it hasn't harmed the equivalent-computer performance of X-Plane...

only the future will tell!!

A nice Service Pack 3 for FSX would be nice!!! lol!!!!

Yes, as would next weeks lottery numbers. And the lotto is more likely... :rolleyes:

Actually there are still two team members at Aces... you don't just burn down the entire house, if it's on the shelves you still have to provide support even if it's a limited form. They've also released new SDKs in the past few months as well but NOT planes that's for sure :) Kind of cool.. if you got dev questions someone still might respond... but for the time being those two will be supporting Lockheed.

• Aerosoft

Actually there are still two team members at Aces... you don't just burn down the entire house, if it's on the shelves you still have to provide support even if it's a limited form. They've also released new SDKs in the past few months as well but NOT planes that's for sure :) Kind of cool.. if you got dev questions someone still might respond... but for the time being those two will be supporting Lockheed.

What SDK's are that? We got a load of ESP lincenses and we have not seen any new files.

Also I would like to mention, that although there is not likely to be a new FS11 in the future, I woud like to say that without great companies like Aerosoft that FSX would be just like it is out the box!!!

I have purchased lots of Aerosoft products for many years and they have really enhanced my virtual flying enjoyment and visualisations.

They do a fantastic job and I am grateful they are still here working/producing for us

Thankyou Aerosoft smile.gifsmile.gif

Merry Christmas to all of the Aerosoft team and fellow Flight Simmers

What SDK's are that? We got a load of ESP lincenses and we have not seen any new files.

Tim Gregson (aka Beatle) is one of the two ACES still at MS ( login to AVSIM forums before clicking the link: http://forums1.avsim...dpost&p=1674433 ).

He is working on a new SimConnect library ( http://beatlesblog.s...456F5!305.entry ).

I know that new SimConnect lib quite well, because i am a member of his beta tester group.

Its not a complete new FSX/ESP SDK, just a replacement for the managed SimConnect client library.

The advantage of this new SimConnect is its internal architecture, which gets rid of certain limitations of the original SimConnect client library.

The advantage being, presumably, that the simconnect improvement can be sent right over to Lockheed Martin...

Oh wait, I just pressed `December 09` on Beatles blog and there it is.

In other words, while it might be usable in FSX as a developed development tool, to coin a phrase, it isn't an indication of intent for FSXI and definitely not Service Pack 3. That is just wishful thinking.

I also see that Beatle specifically states (NOVEMBER 09) that ACES is closed and that he is retained as part of the ESP licensing deal with Lockheed Martin...

That also confirms he is not a games developer, and he is not part of an ACES team but part of a licensing team. It also makes your previous statement about two SDK's to be erroneous when referring to FSX.

Can we please allow this speculation to stop?

The advantage being, presumably, that the simconnect improvement can be sent right over to Lockheed Martin...

Oh wait, I just pressed `December 09` on Beatles blog and there it is.

In other words, while it might be usable in FSX as a developed development tool, to coin a phrase, it isn't an indication of intent for FSXI and definitely not Service Pack 3. That is just wishful thinking.

I also see that Beatle specifically states (NOVEMBER 09) that ACES is closed and that he is retained as part of the ESP licensing deal with Lockheed Martin...

That also confirms he is not a games developer, and he is not part of an ACES team but part of a licensing team. It also makes your previous statement about two SDK's to be erroneous when referring to FSX.

Can we please allow this speculation to stop?

OK, here are some facts about Tim's library:

Tim 'Beatle' Gregson's new managed (.NET) SimConnect client library can be used with FSX SP2 / Acceleration / Gold and ESP 1.0. I am using it for several months now with FSX and ESP to develop client applications, and it works fine.

These are the major differences between this new library and SimConnect from FSX/ESP SDK :

1) The new library doesnt require the unmanaged/native SimConnect library. Instead it directly talks to the "wire" (socket or pipe). Its assembly/dll can be installed together with the client application using it. It is even possible to link it into a client application using ILMerge. This simplifies installation and development.

2) The internal thread architecture is different. The new client lib uses send and receive queues with asynchronous send and receive threads. Because of this architectural improvements, it is possible to handle data received from FSX/ESP in multiple parallel background threads. This allows faster data exchange and better usage of multicore CPUs. However, receiving on the main (UI) thread is still possible, too.

3) The new SimConnect lib simplifies data exchange between FSX/ESP and client applications. You now can register your clients structs/classes with new SimConnect, so that SimConnect does all marshalling ("translating" data between mannaged / unmanaged code). That makes SimConnect easier to use in managed client applications.

For minor improvments, just download Tims Beta3 release and compare it with the official SP2 SDK.

As far as I understand, this new SimConnect library will not be an official MS release, but Tim's own product. That means, he could do further development independently from MS, e.g. like Pete Dowson did with his FSUIPC lib.

Of course, all this doesnt teach the FSX/ESP server side any new tricks, but it significantly simplifies development of managed clients.

Together with my own (not yet public available) CLR hosting module, the new SimConnect lib can even be used to run managed code modules / applications INSIDE the FSX/ESP process.

I hope that allows to reduce the amount of speculation ..

OK, here are some facts about Tim's library:

Tim 'Beatle' Gregson's new managed (.NET) SimConnect client library can be used with FSX SP2 / Acceleration / Gold and ESP 1.0. I am using it for several months now with FSX and ESP to develop client applications, and it works fine.

These are the major differences between this new library and SimConnect from FSX/ESP SDK :

1) The new library doesnt require the unmanaged/native SimConnect library. Instead it directly talks to the "wire" (socket or pipe). Its assembly/dll can be installed together with the client application using it. It is even possible to link it into a client application using ILMerge. This simplifies installation and development.

2) The internal thread architecture is different. The new client lib uses send and receive queues with asynchronous send and receive threads. Because of this architectural improvements, it is possible to handle data received from FSX/ESP in multiple parallel background threads. This allows faster data exchange and better usage of multicore CPUs. However, receiving on the main (UI) thread is still possible, too.

3) The new SimConnect lib simplifies data exchange between FSX/ESP and client applications. You now can register your clients structs/classes with new SimConnect, so that SimConnect does all marshalling ("translating" data between mannaged / unmanaged code). That makes SimConnect easier to use in managed client applications.

For minor improvments, just download Tims Beta3 release and compare it with the official SP2 SDK.

As far as I understand, this new SimConnect library will not be an official MS release, but Tim's own product. That means, he could do further development independently from MS, e.g. like Pete Dowson did with his FSUIPC lib.

Of course, all this doesnt teach the FSX/ESP server side any new tricks, but it significantly simplifies development of managed clients.

Together with my own (not yet public available) CLR hosting module, the new SimConnect lib can even be used to run managed code modules / applications INSIDE the FSX/ESP process.

I hope that allows to reduce the amount of speculation ..

Indeed it does. This has NOTHING to do with the future of the FS franchise. While relevant, FSX benefits are a by-product. Regardless of the developers previous associations it has the same relationship to FSX as, say, aftermarket addons from Sibwings and Captain Sim, both of whom receive credits on the Acceleration product but who are developers whose expertise can be applied to enriching the sim experience.

Which is a long way from being a developer of the sim itself or showing any further development of the base product.

Thanks for clarifying.

I suppose for some people this isn't a new SDK at all.. especially if you're doing unmanaged code... but if I were to do a managed code SimConnect project (which I would never do because of the lousy dependencies that don't ship with the OS), I would definitely use this iteration of simconnect versus what comes on the FSX disks. Obviously I'm not sold on .NET, the MFC guys still talk louder as far as I'm concerned, hehe :)