Questions about switches in the yoke panel

Albrecht

Hi,

I'm planning to build the switch panel on the yoke this weekend (with an USB joystick controller).

Am I right, the switches for

- Starter

- Primer

- Cowl Gills

- Carb Heat

should be spring-loaded switches?

But in your Cat, they are all made as normal switches (and I better should take them also).

Shouldn't the Carburetor Heat switch be similar to the Cowl Gills switch?

Not only ON-OFF (HOT-COLD) but with gradations between?

Manual page 301 (DE-ICING PROCEDURE) sounds like this.

Otherwise, in could conditions like in the mission, you constantly have to apply this switches.

What does the red lights (CARB HEAT) mean?

Manual, page 390, “Two red lights on the instrument panel, one for each engine, indicate when the carb air control is at fully cold.”

But they indicate fully hot?

Thanks for your help!

Albrecht

Hi,

I'm planning to build the switch panel on the yoke this weekend (with an USB joystick controller).

Am I right, the switches for

- Starter

- Primer

- Cowl Gills

- Carb Heat

should be spring-loaded switches?

But in your Cat, they are all made as normal switches (and I better should take them also).

Shouldn't the Carburetor Heat switch be similar to the Cowl Gills switch?

Not only ON-OFF (HOT-COLD) but with gradations between?

Manual page 301 (DE-ICING PROCEDURE) sounds like this.

Otherwise, in could conditions like in the mission, you constantly have to apply this switches.

What does the red lights (CARB HEAT) mean?

Manual, page 390, “Two red lights on the instrument panel, one for each engine, indicate when the carb air control is at fully cold.”

But they indicate fully hot?

Thanks for your help!

Albrecht

The mentioned switches are springloaded - also on the Aerosoft Cat. Try to click on the base of the switch and You will see.

FSX has problems with springloaded switches as soon as the mouse moves away from the switch itself. Thats why I suggest that You click as close to the base of the switch as possible.

Carb heat switches are also springloaded. Carbheat is gradual applyable. Moving the switch up will increase carb air temp, while moving the switch down will decrease carb air temp. Use the Carb air temp gauge for adjustments.

You are right about the carb heat lights. When they are lit then there is some amount of carb heat present.

Finn

As I'm a DIY fanatic, I've been thinking for a long time about building my own hardware for FS.

So I'm really interested in your project and I'd like to ask you some questions.

I've already searched on google but the solutions depicted are often too easy ("buy expensive hardware that does everything") or too complicated ("build an entire homade cockpit with 6 computers").

Of course if moderators find that my message is off the point, they can of course move it to a new topic...

Do you know if it's possible to use at the same time a joystick and this kind of usb controller? Or do I have to disassemble my joystick and adapt it to this controller?

How do you assign the "non standard" functions of the Cat to your switches?

I mean: to assign ordinary fonctions such as landing gear, flaps, spoilers, throttle,etc it's easy: one simply has to use the FS options menu and configure the keyboard and joystick. But how do you assign to your panel functions that are specific to the Cat and that are not available in the FS options menu?

Many thanks

Hi,

I was just wondering the same.

I'd like to assign the floats to a key for ease of access. Panning and flying a critical phase whilst trying to hit a switch with the mouse isn't the easiest of things to do! :)

Best regards,

Robin.

Gents !!

Please let me know if You got probelms with some of the custom switches (those not using standard FSX key assignments)

I might be able to help You a bit to make it possible to assign them too, but that will require a small XML module.

Finn

As I'm a DIY fanatic, I've been thinking for a long time about building my own hardware for FS.

So I'm really interested in your project and I'd like to ask you some questions.

I've already searched on google but the solutions depicted are often too easy ("buy expensive hardware that does everything") or too complicated ("build an entire homade cockpit with 6 computers").

Of course if moderators find that my message is off the point, they can of course move it to a new topic...

Do you know if it's possible to use at the same time a joystick and this kind of usb controller? Or do I have to disassemble my joystick and adapt it to this controller?

How do you assign the "non standard" functions of the Cat to your switches?

I mean: to assign ordinary fonctions such as landing gear, flaps, spoilers, throttle,etc it's easy: one simply has to use the FS options menu and configure the keyboard and joystick. But how do you assign to your panel functions that are specific to the Cat and that are not available in the FS options menu?

Many thanks

Hi David,

first of all you will need FSUPIC.

So you will be able, to assign "non standard" functions of the Cat or other aircrafts either to your keyboard (!) or (with the help of an usb controller) to separate switches.

There is a big list of "non standard" funktions (approx. 1000).

And you can do this aircraft specific (so you will not need to change this configuration if you select an other aircraft).

And with FSUPIC you can use a lot of different joysticks and usb controllers at the same time (up to 16).

Hi Finn,

thanks for your informations and help.

Havn't tried different setting of carb heat, as the tool tips shows only "hot" or "cold" - as far as I remeber - percentage would be helpful.

Regards

Albrecht

Thanks a lot Albrecht

I've been reading things about FSUIPC for a long time without actually understanding what it was.

Now I've just read this page and I'll probably buy it soon, when I'll have some time to spend on simulation projets.

Thanks again for your help.

David

Gents !!

Please let me know if You got probelms with some of the custom switches (those not using standard FSX key assignments)

I might be able to help You a bit to make it possible to assign them too, but that will require a small XML module.

Finn

Finn,

would be a great help, if you could make such a module.

I see, it isn't easy, to make this switchboard without this file.

Radio Master, Pitot Heat and Magnetos work fine but the other switches do not.

As is fly with TrackIR, it is a little bit tricky to hit the switches with my mouse.

This was the reason, why I decided to solve this by hardware...

Albrecht

Finn,

As is fly with TrackIR, it is a little bit tricky to hit the switches with my mouse.

Albrecht

Ok - I will have a look on whats possible.

Stay tuned...

Finn

Finn,

Albrecht

TrackIR offers a `pause function` option. Simply map it to a joystick button or even the centre mouse button and you can `look and freeze` to operate keys, buttons and levers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Finn,

how are my chances?

As this is a common problem (Aircrafts are getting more complex - e.g. DO-27 & prop lever), a general solution like Aerosoft Sound System could be great...

Would be an item for the new flight simulator...

Real hardware switches are better feeling than each mouse!

Albrecht

Hi Albrecht

I didn´t have time to look into it yet, but will shedule time for it the upcomming weekend.

It´s not easy, rather imposible to make a common module for the switches, since different aircraft addons uses different switch events.

On most newer complex piston engined aircraft addons the only way to simulate proper engine failures is by manipulating the mixture controls.

Therefore You will see that mixture controls can´t be manipulaled by hardware axis' or buttons.

BTW: I have send You a PM.

Finn

• 3 weeks later...

I looked into the possibilities for making a "switch module" this weekend.

The number of usefull "spare" FSX events are very limited and it´s therefore not possible to include all switches on the steeringbar switchbox as hardware switches.

So I need to know if You are using a registered version of FSUIPC, cause that might help making it possible to do such a module then.

Sorry for my late feedback, but reallife events came in between !

Finn

Hi Finn,

yes, I use FSUPIC.

So you can take all types of FSX controls, which do not have influence here (e.g. engine 3 & 4 commands).

I'll make an aircaft specific configuration.

Albrecht

Ok Albrecht...

That might make it easier to do such a module then, but I doubt I can find enough events for all switches.

From tuesday next week and two weeks from then I will be on holiday.

I will see if I can get something done before that - no promise though.

Best

Finn

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've found the solution.

And this works also with other aircrafts and non standard controls!!!

Many thanks to Flashman, here is his description:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19751

I only made a little Lua Macro (which is included in FSUPIC):

[Macros]

1=L:Carbheat_pos_L=SET

2=L:Carbheat_pos_R=SET

3=L:Cat_cowl_L=SET

4=L:Cat_cowl_R=SET

5=L:Cat_prime=SET

6=L:Cat_starter=SET

7=L:Cat_wiper=SET

8=L:Cat_float=SET

With this, I could assign all this switches.

The Parameters are 1=up, 0=center, 2=down.

This is a great day.

Albrecht