Msvcr80.dll Ctd

Hi,

on X-mas I got a brandnew and beautiful screen 24" 1920x1200, but, guess what, since then I have also persistantly crash to desktop with a fault in MSVCR80.DLL (...42, ...762, ...1433) with an AGP Nvidia GF 7600GT/256. Very occasionally I had this problem before, but rare enough not to pay much attention to it.

I googled the web up and down and found many similar cases, but no solution. I have also tried almost every available Nvidia driver, patched the WinSxS buffer to direct to FSX to specific DLL-versions (I have three of them), but no success. Sometimes FSX runs for three hours w/o problems, but the next session crashes after minutes, no joy anymore. TextureAGP=0 and PanelAsTexture=0 do not improve.

At last I changed BIOS setup, disabled AGP fastwrite, modified AGP aperture. First it looked, as if disbale fastwrite was the solution, but again, next session crashed after minutes only.

Possibly disabling AA is a solution, but image quality suffers heavily.

Has somebody also experience and possibly a real solution for it? At time I'm using 181.20, which is Nvidia's lates official release. Before I went back to 94.24, which has issues with addon-windows in FS-mode. Yet, CTD happens still with this one.

Tested so far:

Full re-install of FSX

Patching WinSxS to restrict FSX to one of the above DLL's

Most drivers between 94.24 until 181.20

TextureAGP=0 and PanelAsTexture=0

Disabling AGP fastwrite

Disabling write combine

AGP aperture 32, 128, 256, 512 MB (screen shows other malfunctions and artefacts, except for 256)

Disabling Ingame AA, using driver AA instead

Limiting AF to Bilinear

Using lower resolution in FS mode

Otherwise my rig runs rock-stable (AMD 2400+ XP, 1.7Gigs, GF7600GT/256, Asus Mobo A7N8X Deluxe OEM)

Any hints appreciated!

regards,

Peter

First many thanks to everbody who has taken a look at my problem, and in particular Bert, who wrote me a detailed e-mail.

Now the problem is either "solved" or miraculously has disappeared.

Today I found out, that I had DotNET Framework 2.0 SP1 installed on my machine along with a non-SP1 version of the language pack. This is supposed to produce library related messages, such as error messages in the language of your regional settings. In addition, there was a standalone version of the C++ runtime library, also a servive pack #1 version, along with the very same version as a component of VS2005 SP1.

I uninstalled DotNET FW 2.0SP1, the non-SP1 version of the language pack, and the redundant C++ RT. After that I reinstalled FW 2.0 SP1, now the correct SP1-version of the language pack. The C++ RT was considered redundant and skipped (wait for prgrams that do not work anymore).

Today I was able to run the sim for several hours without any errors and, yes, with the most recent driver version 181.20. Knock on wood!

Cheers, Peter

First many thanks to everbody who has taken a look at my problem, and in particular Bert, who wrote me a detailed e-mail.

No problem mate.

Allthough my mail didn't include the right solution for you, my guess is it helped getting you to look in the right direction (a .Net-issue and not a Nvidia-one).

Bert