maneuvering with autopilot switched on

keflin2612

Is it possible to turn the aircraft manually with the autopilot switched ON.

I use the autopilot a lot as do most people I would expect but as I come close to my destination airport I like to maneuver the aircraft my self but when I turn off the heading on the autopilot it still does not respond so I end up turning off the autopilot all together, and this seems to happen with all aircraft.

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong please,

Thanks Kevin.

This is correct operation for an autopilot. It uses the same control runs and control surfaces as the manual control system, so obviously when it's on, it's assuming control of those surfaces. Many autopilots have a `wing leveller` mode when they are powered up, but no navigational or vertical mode is selected, so you can't steer the aircraft.

Some advanced aircraft have a steer mode as a halfway-house that allows you to use the yoke or stick in the cockpit to directly steer the aircraft with the a/p engaged but without HDG or NAV lit, but not the defaults.

So your option is either: Autopilot ON or Autopilot OFF, there is no middle ground.

Thanks for your reply Snave

Sure there is...turn AP on, set your altitute you want to fly at, maybe even set your speed....to turn your aircraft while in AP, all you have to do is CTRL+V and it turns of the auto heading and it lets you make turns while the altitute stays at what you selectet....some planes have a auto level button, make sure its off....

happy flying...

Tom