In-air refueling?

imn2sims

From the manual:

AIR REFUEL OPEN - Opens the refuel door on top of fuselage, opens all inter-tank connections and enables refuel door lights. If you activate this switch over 5000 ft AGL and your airspeed is below 300 knots, your tanks will slowly refuel, simulating an aerial refueling. The right indexer next to the HUD will show RDY when the door is open.

CLOSED - Closes refuel door

This doesn't seem to work for me. Yes the the RDY light comes on and I see the door open but the "total fuel" digital readout just keeps going down. Tried it down to speeds of about 250 CAS.

FSX SP2 no acceleration

Steve

I have searched the internet and what I could find indicated that it might only work in missions.

With Acceleration comes a mission where You have to take off from a Carrier and rendevouz with a tanker (a 737 dedicated as a tanker).

Getting it to work though seems to be a matter of trial and error, but it seems necessary to have a tanker in front of You).

Just flying slower than 300 kts and above 5000 ft doesn´t seem to do it.

If anybody has more indepth knowledge regarding inflight refueling in FSX Acceleration, please post and we will see what can be done !

Finn

I can verify that simply opening the AR receptacle does not initiate an on-load of fuel in Acceleration at any altitude or speed. It is possible to make this happen though. Back in FS9, I had more than a few freeware and payware models that featured something similar. One that stands out in my mind is the Alphasim B-58 Hustler. When you selected to open the AR door, she would take on fuel and fill to, I believe it was 80%. I would imagine that this capability can be reproduced in FSX.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll have it checked out, could be a bug.

Does not appear to work for me either. Below 300Knots TAS and above 5000 AGL I briefly got the RDY but quickly the DISC showed up and no fuel. I thought it worked before the patch, but I guess I was wrong.

With SP1 refueling has been redone.

You now need to find an AI aircraft - preferable an airliner, like a Airbus 321 or Boeing 737-800.

- You need to get behind it

- Open refuel door - RDY light On.

- Lock it with the radar

- Fly very close to it like here:

post-7458-1227826596_thumb.jpg

- When You are too far away, DISC light will be On.

- When You are taking fuel, DISC light goes out and NWS/AR light goes On.

Speed and altitude is no longer considered - only Your distance to the "Tanker" AI aircraft.

This distance is determined when Your radar has locked the AI aircraft.

Infact any AI aircraft, even a Cessna 172, can be used, though You won´t be able to fly slow enough to stay on station.

Fuel will not be added gradually, but rather in staeps of +25% fuel, due to a FSX limitation. But You won´t have time to see this inorder to keep position ;)

Filling almost empty tanks takes appr. 80 sec.

Finn

• 2 weeks later...
With SP1 refueling has been redone.

You now need to find an AI aircraft - preferable an airliner, like a Airbus 321 or Boeing 737-800.

- You need to get behind it

- Open refuel door - RDY light On.

- Lock it with the radar

- Fly very close to it like here:

post-7458-1227826596_thumb.jpg

- When You are too far away, DISC light will be On.

- When You are taking fuel, DISC light goes out and NWS/AR light goes On.

Speed and altitude is no longer considered - only Your distance to the "Tanker" AI aircraft.

This distance is determined when Your radar has locked the AI aircraft.

Infact any AI aircraft, even a Cessna 172, can be used, though You won´t be able to fly slow enough to stay on station.

Fuel will not be added gradually, but rather in staeps of +25% fuel, due to a FSX limitation. But You won´t have time to see this inorder to keep position ;)

Filling almost empty tanks takes appr. 80 sec.

Finn

It wont let me take on fuel...I have tried many positions...DISC goes off but fuel doenst refill...see pics

2008_12_6_20_19_46_266.BMP

It wont let me take on fuel...I have tried many positions...DISC goes off but fuel doenst refill...see pics

I finally got it to work, though the refueling was mostly wasted chasing down the AI. Plus, the AI was going in the wrong direction leading me to waste fuel anyway. You have to stay in relative position for longer then just a brief connection. It's not like F4AF where the camel realizes you are fueling and he needs to stay smooth. The AI (I use WOAI which may mess things up) is in an extended serpentine path and not smooth at all, so you have to be patient and quick on the reflexes.

Next time I will call the camel when I spot an airplane on a relative course and instead of taking the first AI plane the radar locks up I will select my own.

Camel.jpg