P3D Options changed without my permission

Heronjr

This is something I didn't expect from this software. I've read the manual and learned that the simulator options are changed by the user, or am I wrong? Yesterday I made my first flight with SS and didn't tweak any display, world or lightning options, nor any other setting, and I know pretty well where are all those numbers tweaked by me during many years. 

I use EA with volumetric clouds at ZERO, slider at full left. Yesterday I could start P3D from SS, but not today and I opened another post to ask why. So I started the simulator without SS, and for my surprise, as soon as I was airborne, I saw that the clouds were somewhat different. So I went to options and saw the EA on, and the volumetric clouds slider in the MIDDLE. 

I ask you please, if this is something this software really does, because I didn't read about that in the manual, as such feature is unacceptable for me. And I would like to know how I retrieve my old display configuration. 

Earlier today, I was seriously thinking about a refund, first because yesterday, with almost 2 hours flying, I received my first CTD in V5.4, in a region I fly every week. The flight was started by SS. Second, because today I couldn't start the simulator with this software. 

I really hope I'm wrong. I thought I bought program starter, not an AI program. 

Regards,

If as suggested you have made no changes at all to the configuration files within Simstarter then the default settings of prepar3d.cfg as imported will be in use and is no different to launching P3D directly.

Should you have made any changes to the Master config set within Simstarter or created a new sim config set then these settings are written to the prepar3d.cfg file, starting P3D directly will also reflect these changes.

Is Simstarter set to 'run as administrator' ?

Should it be necessary to restore file prior to the Simstarter install simply rename the backup files eg prepar3d.cfg.SIMstarterBackup located in the app data folder but this should not be required.

• Developer

Hi Heron,

good news are, SIMstarter takes a backup of all your config files (Tools > SimConfigBackup Manager). Regardless from this: if you change a configuration with SIMstarter, these changes will be done in your PREPAR3D configuration files. If you start your PREPAR3D without SIMstarter, which is not the way you should use it, you will get the configuration files that have been altered by your last use of SIMstarter.

Since SIMstarter has been on the market, I don't know of any case where my software was the cause of a CTD. Usually it is the settings of the users or other reasons that would have led to the CTD even without SIMstarter.

I am sorry that SIMstarter did not have a good start with you...