Top of Descent

Easy Pilot

Hi all,

Thought i would share this with the forum.

The topic goes back to 2010. Various answers were forthcoming. Amongst them, the arrow wont appear with five or more waypoints in the flt plan.

I'm not sure if AS provided a bug fix for this over time. My display never showed it about 6mths or so after i started flying the A320/A321.  (now in my 7th yr of flying the Bus).

Whilst having some down time in hospital, i did some research and came up with something interesting.

It refers to the altitude contraints !!

When you import a fltplan into the MCDU it has the known constraints from the SIDS/STARS. 

These are not concrete constraints in some cases. I have edited the constraints prior to departing from Europe now on around 7 flights.  All with the same results.

Numerous waypoints and the descent arrow always appears.

Lets say for example a route back from Greece to Gatwick and the STAR chart is a KUNAV 1G arrival, the chart shows altitude at  TIMBA is 7000ft.

The MCDU may show this as +7000. What this means is the aircraft can be anywhere above that altitude. To execute the constraint to 7000ft exactly, you need to select the corresponding LSK alongside TIMBA in the MCDU. Overwite the +7000 with 7000 (notice no plus sign).

The FCU will then descend the aircraft to achieve TIMBA @FL70. once you dial in the lower altitude.

Also check other constraints  before and up to final approach.

I hope this helps others as I was finding that most of my flights I was always higher on approach than I should have been, requiring me to manually descend with a greatly rate of descent.

Best regards.

Paul

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SimWare said:

Thank you for sharing knowledge and info, Paul.

Very much appreciated.

always glad to share any knowledge if i know the answer... after all we all enjoy simming so we should always aim to get the best out of it !!!

Rgds

paul

• Upvote 1