KORD departure routing question

When departing to the north or west from the westbound runways at KORD (for example, KORD-KSFO departing 27C, also KORD-VHHH departing 27C), PFPX likes to give me no SID and the following: RAYNR DCT BRTMN DCT TAAYZ DCT PETTY and then on course. 

Is this snippet published somewhere? It would seem like a pre-determined route segment, since it shows up frequently, but it's not part of the only published departure (OHARE7, which is just vectors) as far as I can see. And the dogleg to PETTY (to the northeast) seems like a needless extension of the route, which is why I'm wondering about this. For example, the route to KSFO was:

RAYNR DCT BRTMN DCT TAAYZ DCT PETTY DCT BAE ... , so we were actually backtracking a bit. To VHHH it was:

RAYNR DCT BRTMN DCT TAAYZ DCT PETTY DCT GRB ... , which isn't a backtrack but isn't as direct as (for example) TAAYZ DCT GRB.

I could assume that it's a preferred route segment for the purposes of traffic flow, but is this published anywhere? And where would the data be stored within PFPX?

Just curious, thanks.

Will,

Is this something you are looking for?

https://zauartcc.sfo3.digitaloceanspaces.com/downloads/Route-Maps.pdf

Please login to display this image.

Whenever there some uncertainty about local procedures, I like to refer to a specific facility at VATSIM. Policies and SOPs should be following the real world procedures. :)
Based on this, I found a this document. I have to say that KORD is one of a few airports that has only one SID (I want to say that this is more US thing, but I am happy to be corrected).

Cheers!

Interesting, that's helpful but it doesn't solve the mystery. Take a look at the first VATSIM chart, the one titled "KORD RNAV (GPS) Departure Routes/Fixes."

It shows a preferred route to the northeast of RAYNR BRTMN TAAYZ and so on. 

In both the cases above, I was going to the northwest. So I would think PFPX would give me PMPKN NEATO DLLAN RONIC BAE (etc.)

But in any event, the route to TAAYZ going north doesn't really take me off course until PETTY, which is the first intersection to the east. That's the one that takes me out of my way. It would be appropriate for a northeast departure, but it's odd for a northwest departure.

For a trip to KSFO, I think PFPX should have picked the PMPKN-BAE segment on that chart, not not the RAYNR-PETTY-BAE segment.

Steven, thanks, I can find that window on PFPX but it seems to only show the preferred initial fixes? 

Yes these are the preferred fixes which I have entered from the chart.

For your NW departure you will need to add each direct as they are not currently defined ( check using directs enabled on the map and add as necessary ). Add these to your user database:

Should that not suffice we could look at using sub-routes.

Having added the individual directs PMKN through to BAE an automatic route find KORD - CYWG returns:

PMPKN DCT NEATO DCT DLLAN DCT RONIC DCT BAE J89 YWG J515 VLR AMBIL3

Hmmm, that would be 14 separate directs, one for each departure point from O'Hare... And I don't know how to get PFPX to choose the right one of the 14...

I think I'll just keep a copy of the chart handy and enter the waypoints manually. (grin) Seems like less work, right?

You should be ok just manually entering DCT in this location.

Should however non standard flight levels be required then you would need to create the direct using the required cruise table code. Frequent requirement in Europe.

Hi

I will include an updated airport xml file for KORD as well as the direct segments for RNAV departures from the chart for the upcoming Rad Restrictions Directs 2302 this Thursday or Friday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

autorouting wil prefer the first fix

Am 19.2.2023 um 14:37 schrieb Will C:

Interesting, that's helpful but it doesn't solve the mystery. Take a look at the first VATSIM chart, the one titled "KORD RNAV (GPS) Departure Routes/Fixes."

It shows a preferred route to the northeast of RAYNR BRTMN TAAYZ and so on. 

In both the cases above, I was going to the northwest. So I would think PFPX would give me PMPKN NEATO DLLAN RONIC BAE (etc.)

But in any event, the route to TAAYZ going north doesn't really take me off course until PETTY, which is the first intersection to the east. That's the one that takes me out of my way. It would be appropriate for a northeast departure, but it's odd for a northwest departure.

For a trip to KSFO, I think PFPX should have picked the PMPKN-BAE segment on that chart, not not the RAYNR-PETTY-BAE segment.

Steven, thanks, I can find that window on PFPX but it seems to only show the preferred initial fixes? 

Are you using PFPX v2.04? I had the problem that with v2.04 Autorouting always prefers the first fix from the Airport Data/Departure Waypoints section. Enter PMPKN as the first fix like my screenshot let's see if that helps. Nonetheless you must have Direct Routes between the waypoints after the first waypoint PMPKN, EBAKE, RAYNR etc. manually saved in your Database like Stephen did. PFPX cannot find a direct route between waypoints which are not in any database. Over the years I have made hundreds of manually Direct routes in my database mostly US/Canada.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy & Terms of Use