Forum Maintenance Period (08/05/24) ×

Flight Plans

cyberpilot

Greatly enjoying the FSX Twotter and Lukla scenery.

Does anyone have any flight plans/maps for trips between:

1. Kathmandu - Lukla - Kathmandu

2. Lukla-Syngbocke-Lukla

3. Lukla-Phaplu-Lukla

4. Or any variations of these places

With regard to Kathmandu-Lukla I would especially like to know the recommended cruising altitude as well as the desired speed and altitude at the commencement of the turn on to final approach.

Without Track IR I find that judging when to turn onto finals at Lukla is quite difficult.

Is there a visual reference point in the scenery that would help?

Suggestions from those who have mastered this feat of airmanship would be most welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft
Can anyone help ..... please!

Because of the routing it will always have to be a VFR flight, so a real flight plan is not usable (certainly not for the routes to the smaller airport)

I would always fly the route shown below, just keep climbing all the way to 10.000 feet (so you arrive 1000 feet over the airport). Climb settings are shown in the kneeboard and cruise speed will depend a lot on weight. But just use 75% to 80% torque and you'll be fine. Close to Lukla I would slow to 100 knots IAS while keeping in mind the ground speed will be a higher because of the altitude.

There is no real visual aid for the landing, that's what makes it so difficult. But what helps is making a steep descend (followed by a strong flare) so you keep a good overview.