Venice sloping water

RvdH57

Hi there,

venicecvxdk3.jpg

In the screenshot you can clearly see a "ribbon" of sloping water that disappears when you deactivate the CVX-files.

However, when you do that the buildings are hovering in the air above the ground.

From where I am standing, those CVX-files look like a quick, but dirty patch for those hovering buildings.

My question: "Will Venice get a proper correction?"

If not it would be a stain on an otherwise perfect scenery.

Best regards, René

In the screenshot you can clearly see a "ribbon" of sloping water that disappears when you deactivate the CVX-files.

However, when you do that the buildings are hovering in the air above the ground. My question: "Will Venice get a proper correction?"

If not it would be a stain on an otherwise perfect scenery.

René,

My quick answer would be, no.

Unfortunately the default fsx altitude for the sea in the Venice area is minus (-4) meters, hence to get shadows, the entire sea needed to be lifted to 0 alt.

As all tweaks like that need to 'end' somewhere, those visible 'ribbons' will always be appearing somewhere, thus there's no way to re-design almost the entire scenery just to deal with that.

regards

Andras

Hi Andras,

Unfortunately the default fsx altitude for the sea in the Venice area is minus (-4) meters, hence to get shadows, the entire sea needed to be lifted to 0 alt.

As all tweaks like that need to 'end' somewhere,

I can understand that.

However, this tweak ends in the middle of the scenery. (In the screenshot I am coming from LIPV.)

And even then, this ribbon wouldn't be noticed with "a skirted flatten", preferably outside the scenery.

Alternatively the buildings could be lowered to minus four meters.

Best regards, René

And even then, this ribbon wouldn't be noticed with "a skirted flatten", preferably outside the scenery.

Alternatively the buildings could be lowered to minus four meters.

René,

Yes, you are right in saying that the boundary is between the main island and LIPZ, but in order to solve the problem, the main airport should remain intact, as my preference.

The buildings could easily be lowered to -4 meters, this is how I originally wanted to do it, but FSX only displays shadows upto 0 m altitude. You do not get shadows in any negative alt. scenario.

We thought it is way better to have shadows, than having a smooth sea everywhere...

regards

Andras

Hi Andras,

I think most users will prefer flat water above ground shadows.

Ironically Pastaga says so in his message of January 2 without knowing the source of the "black line".

(http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=14516)

With photographic ground scenery shadows might even conflict with the shadows on the scenery itself.

Moreover, ground shadows often kill the frame rates.

And I don't see any ground shadows in the Aerosoft screenshots.

IMHO you should give the user a choice between the two variants.

Best regards, René

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft
Has Andras left the building? :cry: :wink:

No, but there is not a lot that can be said. We (Aerosoft and Andras) decide to do it the way it is done now. You prefer it differently but there is not a lot that can be done about that honestly.

We certainly will not rework the scenery and the installer (inviting a whole new range of customer support questions) because of your opinion. That's not a question of being indifferent, but just economics. No matter how it was done, no matter how many options the installer would offer, a good percentage of customers would find one or the other solution unacceptable. They would not remember we offered the option (just imagine trying to explain that in the 2 lines the installer offers, lol) while installing. So it's a no win situation. That's why we decided this is as it should be. The scenery is about the city more than about the water in our minds. And shadows that adds a whole layer of depth that is far more important in our idea then a MS caused issue in the water.

I strongly suggest you contact MS about this though, it is a nasty issue that would not be hard to solve in a future version.

Hi Mathijs,

I have just dropped an E-mail at tell_fs@microsoft.com. I wonder didn't you folk at Aerosoft do that yourself?

My technical knowledge of FS scenery isn't great, but I know it is the first FS that allows to make "skirted flattens" to prevent cliffs. Couldn't that be the solution for the time being?

Best regards, René

BTW am I right in presuming you are (like me) Dutch?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft
Hi,

Just in case I wasn't clear about "skirted flattens":

http://www.uk2000scenery.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=414.0

Best regards, René

Yes, but that does not work on all surfaces, certainly not on surfaces that we do not (can not) cover, like water.