Seychelles Orthophoto?

hey there, I just bought the Seychelles addon and I'm  very excited to explore it all, so expect me to ask some questions now and then :)

First one, is the ground textures for all of the island orthographic images takes via satellites? I use ortho4xp a lot so am used to seeing them. And on the website here https://www.thresholdx.net/news/m2xprs it says:

"In addition to high quality orthophotos, custom terrain, autogen and custom landmarks; the pack also includes a rendition of Seychelles International Airport and Regional Praslin Island Airport, the two main airports of the islands as well as 13 airfields and 4 heliports to explore"

I looked through the download files but didn't see any in the typical format. Are there actual ortho photos?

thanks!

Seychelles4XPlane doesn't include ortho-photos in terms of a native photo-mesh, but features a "custom terrain mesh with photo-realistic textures" (as we state it in the official product info). These textures are derived from high quality air-photos, but they are "generic": That means, you may encounter repetitive patterns, but usually they aren't really noticeable, in particular if you fly on low altitudes. Such a mesh-solution has a lot of advantages over native photo-meshes, amongst others: consistently uniform quality (as it regards resolution, colors and so on) and most important: no distortions, in particular at steep slopes.

Enjoy your exploration of Seychelles XP!

7 hours ago, maps2xplane said:

Seychelles4XPlane doesn't include ortho-photos in terms of a native photo-mesh, but features a "custom terrain mesh with photo-realistic textures" (as we state it in the official product info). These textures are derived from high quality air-photos, but they are "generic": That means, you may encounter repetitive patterns, but usually they aren't really noticeable, in particular if you fly on low altitudes. Such a mesh-solution has a lot of advantages over native photo-meshes, amongst others: consistently uniform quality (as it regards resolution, colors and so on) and most important: no distortions, in particular at steep slopes.

Enjoy your exploration of Seychelles XP!

thanks for the clarification! yeah i think some people (including me) were confused about that, i saw it in several places that said "...high quality orthophotos..." or some variation so assumed that meant actual ground photo textures. but that's ok it's awesome the way it is

• Thanks 1

I love that approach, it is a very nice middle ground between Orthos (which take a lot of space and can look bad if the source images are of inconsistent quality) and the ugly default X-Plane textures. Please keep using it.

Actually, your sceneries are one of the main reasons why I developed my little Transparency4Ortho tool... I hated to make the choice of switching on or off road textures globally when flying from Iceland or Norway (where I have Orthos available and don't want to see the X-Plane roads)  to Svalbard or Vágar -- where I most definitely do want to see the roads, because the scenery is relying on them. And I've flown these legs dozens of times now.

• Thanks 1
vor 8 Minuten, Martin Buchheim sagte:

I love that approach, it is a very nice middle ground between Orthos (which take a lot of space and can look bad if the source images are of inconsistent quality) and the ugly default X-Plane textures. Please keep using it.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Really appreciate that you can confirm, that this approach of building custom terrain meshes is a very good alternative between default textures and native photo-meshes. Both have their pros and cons, and one could sum up that we try to bring the pros from both worlds together, and it seems to work quite well 🙂