Request for help - low FPS at EGLL

markadeane

Hi all,

Love the EGLL scenery, it really is a great effort.

I am however suffering from rather poor frames. I will say straight off I DON'T think it's the scenery, rather my AI. I'm hoping someone else here has had similar troubles!

I'm running Ultimate Traffic, at 100% AI I was getting 5fps in the Wilco A320, winding it back to 55% I get about 9-10FPS, still not high enough. For comparisons sake I would expect in the region of 18-13 FPS at other efficient airports such as the ISD sceneries, flytampa etc with full AI.

I'm trying to avoid removing all AI entirely, but am wondering what people have done to get around this issue. A colleague (yes I work with another FS nut!) suggested replacing the Ultimate Traffic AI British Airways models with something more framerate friendly like a world-of-AI package. Seeing as how EGLL has a large number of BA 747's on gates this would presumably assist.

Before I go ahead with this, I'd like to know, has anyone done this, and did it help you? Is Ultimate Traffic AI particularly bad for FPS? I normally fly out of less busy airports so I honesty couldn't say!

Beyond getting more efficient AI is there anything else I could try?

Running the v1.1 of EGLL with the normal res textures. My computer specs are:

Athlon64 3200, 2GB RAM, ATX Radeon X800GT 256MB

Any help appreciated guys, thanks!

Mark

Mark, how many frames do you get at EGLL with traffic off?

It would tell us if traffic is the problem here.

As for the Ultimate Traffic, I was using it some time ago. However, as it was too heavy for my PC, I gave up.

After some time I started feeling lonely at all those empty airports when flying offline.

So I decided to make my custom traffic which I do until today.

Using available freeware packages and Traffic Tools you can do it easily.

The models available are definitely much more FPS friendly than the Ultimate Traffic collection.

I for instance use a mixture of mostly PAI, EvolveAI, AI Aardvark, CDAI, AI Malcontent and Fruit Stand.

Some of them from WOAI, the others made with TTools from ready FlightPlans found mostly at the AVSIM library.

My PC is really average (3 years old) and I can handle it well, also at Heathrow 2008.

And remember: there is no way not to get visible impact of AI on FPS.

However when well made, it may be fluent at smaller and bearable at larger airports.

Best regards,

Rafal

I only have the Ultimate Traffic AI models. My understanding is that they only have 1 LOD, because Heathrow is full of 747's (a particularly high-polygon model) I'm getting hit hard.

Still need to try a visit with 0% AI, hopefully tonight!

Hello Mark,

I believe both traffic and choice of aircraft play a part in the low frame rates.

I just turned the Ultimate Traffic right off zilch percent and used the Feelthere Wilco A320 and got around 11 to 15 fps depends on where you were looking.

However using a default 737-400 it shot up to 34 no problem.

Then re-add 100% traffic it shot back to the lowest of 10 FPS.

I think the choice of aircraft has a lot to do with it too besides turning the traffic down.

Thanks Shaun, based on my experience with the add-on and the AI traffic those figures would be about what I expect. I'll test when I get home in an hour or two and advise what my results are, but yeah: I'm 99% sure it'll be the inefficient AI models and to a lesser extent the A320 that are causing the slowdown, NOT the scenery!

<removed>

EDIT: Apologies, I was not aware Aerosoft markets the Wilco A320, I have removed my reference to a forthcoming, competing Airbus product accordingly. Chrs! M

Mark,

I, too, have been using UT since it's FS2002 days. A while ago I began replacing the aircraft with more FPS friendly AI aircraft. Aardvark, EvolveAI,... etc. It's a long process but with little organization it can be done. I preserved the UT nomenclature and organization which I find very well thought out. So why not keep it?

I have written a small thing in Excel that enables me to input just the two airline identifiers (OS OS) for example, and then a macro attaches the relevant data to aircraft.cfg. So, when I have downloaded all repaints for one aircraft, I prepare the basic data that goes into aircraft.cfg in the Excel sheet and start copying textures. It takes me around 20 seconds to install one livery complete with relevant entries into aircraft.cfg.

Well, I am 90% done and just the other day, I was sitting in the B737-900 (payware) cockpit at stand 139, 100% AI and a rain shower from above. :)

FPS? 23-28! True, I drop into teens on approach, but it is very flyable. I am really, really, happy with Simwings EGLL and my AI traffic (although I am seriously considering building my AI from scratch.)

My specs:

Athlon FX-57

Geforce 7800GTX

2Gb Corsair RAM

2x SATA 320Gb HD

FS9 installed on it's own disk

All sorts of add-ons :)

Regards,

Jure

I am seriously considering building my AI from scratch.
That's exactly what I recommend, gentlemen.

Use WOAI if available and TTools for your own work. There are so many airlines around available as flghtplans (in the AVSIM library but not only).

I have more than 300 of them installed. Mostly European, since this is where I fly most of the time, but not only.

What I recommend as models are the following:

Fokker 50 - Project AI (FSP)

Saab 340/2000 - Project AI (FSP)

ATR-42/72 - Project AI (FSP)

Do-328 - JBAI / Project AI (FSP)

ERJ-145 - AI Aardvark

ERJ-170-175 - AI Aardvark

ERJ 190 - Project AI (FSP)

MD-8X - AI Aardvark

Fokker 70/100 - Project AI (FSP)

CRJ-200 - CDAI

CRJ-700 - CDAI

717 - AI Aardvark

727 - AI Aardvark

737 series - AI Aardvark

747 series - AI Aardvark

757 series - AI Aardvark

767-200 - AI Malcontent / AI Aardvark

767-300 AI Aardvark

777 series - the Fruit Stand

DC-8 - Dee Waldron (DWAI)

DC-9 - AI Aardvark

DC-10 - EvolveAI

MD-11 - Project AI (FSP)

BAe-146 - Fernando Martinez

A300 - EvolveAI

A310 - Project AI (FSP)

A32X series - EvolveAI

A330-200/300 - Project AI (FSP)

A340-200/300 - Project AI (FSP)

A340-500/600 - the Fruit Stand

Yak-40/42 - Samdim

Tu-134 - Mehlin Rainer

Tu-154 - SimLandmarks / SKJ / Viktor Schacht (VSDesign_AI)

Tu-204 - AI Aardvark

Il-86 - SimLandmarks / Viktor Schacht (VSDesign_AI)

Il-96 - SKJ

An-124 - Project AI

You can download Traffic Tools v2.02 from here:

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Loca...&DLID=34731

Search for AI Aardvark models and liveries at:

http://www.ai-aardvark.com/aiaircraft/aiaircraft.html

Search for PAI (FSP) models and liveries at:

http://www.projectai.com/library_archive/r...nts_current.php

Search for the Fruit Stand models and liveries at:

http://www.the-fruit-stand.com/category/the-fruits/

All the rest can be found in the AVSIM and Flightsim libraries.

Best regards,

Rafal