Heathrow 2008 frame rates and CTDs

AnthonyGA

I purchased the Heathrow 2008 scenery this weekend. I'm posting a few observations here mainly to point out a few apparent bugs, but also to provide some praise. My observations:

1. This is the most detailed airport scenery I've ever seen.

2. This is by far the fastest airport scenery (in terms of frame rates) I've ever seen.

3. I'm getting some pesky CTDs while trying to move to the airport (with "Go to airport...").

4. Every time I do anything other than fly or taxi, there's a 15-30 second delay during which the sim (and to some extent the entire system) is stalled.

The detail and frame-rate comments are self-explanatory. I'm consistently amazed by the frame rates I get at the airport. Even with all graphic sliders maxed, I get 26 fps, whether I'm parked, taxiing, or overflying the airport. This compares to about 11-15 fps with the Aerosoft Cloud9 LAX scenery (also excellent, but much slower in terms of performance).

The crashes to the desktop occur when I try to move to EGLL from another airport. They happen with Dreamfleet and PMDG add-ons even when I'm parked. They don't happen with default aircraft unless I'm in the air when I try to change airports (I should just be placed back on the ground at EGLL, but in fact I get a CTD).

The huge delays whenever I try to look at the sim menu or change views or something like that are very frustrating. Granted, when I'm actually flying the performance is stunning, but if I have to look at a menu or something, the sim is stuck for 15 or more seconds at a time. If I'm offline, this isn't a big issue, but if I'm flying on a network like VATSIM, this can seriously perturb other pilots and controllers.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. I have a funny suspicion that the lightning performance in flight with this scenery is somehow connected to the very slow response when I select a menu or something—does this scenery do something magic behind the scenes to speed performance that other scenery packs don't?

Unfortunately, I have the same CTD when moving to EGLL from KSEA. I always load the default airport and cessna then load my chosen aircraft and airport. CTD with error, g3d.dll everytime when changing to EGLL. This happens with all my payware and I have them all. It does not happen with the default Cessna. I don't have any other EGLL afcads installed, AES 1.91 not selected and tried the updated Simwings afcad but still the same result. Would be great if this can be resloved vey soon as I love this new airport scenery

Gerry

I forgot to include my config:

Intel P4 3.04 Ghz with HT

2 GB RAM

nVidia 6800GS 256 MB

Windows XP Pro (US) SP2

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (9.1)

DirectX 9.0c

Screen set to 1600x1200x32

ActiveSky 6.5

PMDG 747-400

PMDG 737-800

Dreamfleet Beechcraft Baron 58

Dreamfleet Beechcraft Bonanza A36

Cloud9 LAX (also from Aerosoft)

A few other airport packages (US-Airports, some freeware)

VATSIM SquawkBox 3.x

FSUIPC 3.75 registered