Catalina cockpit wall is transparent

Paul K

P3DV3.4.14.18870

Catalina v1.21.

I've just noticed that when I change view from the virtual cockpit to the passenger compartment, the wall separating the two becomes transparent. I can't remember this happening in FSX, though someone might like to check. The problem is the same with all three models that have a passenger compartment ( i.e. Civil Dutch, Civil Calypso and Civil AusBlackCat ). I've tried moving the viewpoint around, but it makes no difference - from the passenger compartment, there is no cockpit wall visible.

From the VC, looking to the rear:

Please login to display this image.

From the passenger compartment looking forwards and up to the cockpit:

Please login to display this image.

Any idea what's going on, and is there a fix for this ?

Thank you.

Further to the above, this is from the manual:

This means that TrackIR users will be able to move their head in positions that we did not design the aircraft for. As an example, since the radio view in the period models is fixed, you cannot pan around. Yet with a TrackIR you can override this and will see that the backwall of the cockpit is transparent. This is done to save framerates and will never be seen from the viewpoints we intended to be used.

Obviously, my problem is related, and I am aware of the radio compartment view in the period models. However, I'm not using TrackIR, just the joystick hat switch, and this is the passenger compartment, not the radio compartment view.

Mathijs, thanks you very much for your reply.

May I just clarify what I said in the second post - I didn't make myself very clear. I can understand why there is no need for a solid bulkhead in the 'period' aircraft, because all you are doing in that view is operating the vintage radio, and there is no real reason to look round the compartment. However, in the modern civil versions, it seems odd that having gone to all the trouble of modelling airliner seats in that compartment, the user still sees a transparent bulkhead when sitting down there.

No, I don't expect a fix soon, but I'm pleased it is noted by you, and that the problem might be addressed at some point. Even after all these years, the Aerosoft Catalina is still the definitive flying boat for FSX and P3D. One of the best add-ons I ever bought.

Regards

Paul

Archived