Airshows 2007

VinFlyer

The airshow season is about to begin, or has already begon in some countries. Perhaps a good idea to dedicate a topic here to all the different airshows around the world. Might be fun to hear to which airshow(s) people here are planning to go to. Perhaps people would like to make show reports with pictures to show how the airshows where. Post you plans and pics here in this topic. Personally, I'd also like to here about the US airshows.

Let me kick-off with a list of shows I'm planning to visit:

- june 2-3: Sola Airshow

- june 15-17: KLu Open Dagen

- june23: Paris Airshow Le Bourget (not sure about this show yet)

-30 june/1juli: Belgian Defence Days

- juli 14: RIAT Fairford

- juli 17: Kleine Brogel spottersday

In 2 months I'll be in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, for EAA's Airventure, July 23-29. Been wanting to go to this one since I was a kid, now I finally have the chance.

AH yes, Oshkosh. A show I really would like to visit some time. Won't be this year though.

I heard about the show at Geilenkirchen, but it's only static show right?

but it's only static show right?

Nope, there are daily performances. I think I'm mostly looking forward to the F-22 flight display.

I wouldn't mind RIAT, but to be honest watching jets do aerial displays always scares the pants off me :wink: But I am interested in this.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I had my first show of this year. I visited Sola, Norway near Stavanger. I stayed there with Dag who works on the airport. So I was also able to have a view behind the scenes :D Below a selection of photos shot between May 31 and June 4. The show itself was on June 2 and 3 with a nice mix of aircrafts, from the 1909 Bleriot XI to the 'new' Saab Grippen. Over 30.000 spectators visited the airshow on Saturday and Sunday (the hundreds of people outside the field at the fences not counted :lol: ).

IMG_0087.jpg

Sola Airport view from the SeaKing

IMG_0067.jpg

My taxi ride for Thursday

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Dag ruining an otherwise perfect picture :wink:

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

How many cars does it take to transport the Patrouille Suisse? Just one :lol:

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

And last me in one of the Patrouille Suisse F-5E

If you think you haven't seen enough pics yet, have a look here: http://picasaweb.google.com/v.yperen/SolaAirshow2007

PS: Dag (and Eli), once again thanks for the nice stay. I really had a nice week :D

Hi Vin,

Good shots there, great in fact :D This week has been "Phantom-week" wth 37+16 beating ut the Sandnes/Stavanger area. Great smoke trails, reminds me of the old days :-)

I sure hope I did not give you an aviation-overdose, 5 out of 5 days shooting pics at the airport/base did not leave much room for strolling the streets, having a very expensive beer..... oh well.... might as well.....

Best

AMAZING PHOTOS!!! You should put those on a.net.
Thanks. I already send a few pics to airliners.net. But's always hard to get photos accepted there. I'll just have to wait and see.

Dag, we're waiting for your pics :lol:

Thanks. I already send a few pics to airliners.net. But's always hard to get photos accepted there. I'll just have to wait and see.

Dag, we're waiting for your pics :lol:

I work as in-efficient as possible to get them out it seems, expect them around X-mas :D

Best

thanks guys :D

The camera I use it the Canon 350D with the kitlens and a Sigma 70-300mm zoomlens. Not the best but it does a decent job. Now saving money for a more advanced Canon L lens...

I'll be at Volkel both days most likely despite the bad weather forecast :?

I was going until i learned iv got a few exams coming up >.<

i use a nikon D-70 with a 50-200 VR lens (recently bought that one:))

here are a few of my pics from KLu 2006

DSC_5720altklein.jpg

a landing F-15

bluenr2_klein.jpg

blue angel nr 2

DSC_5755altklein.jpg

the french display team

Well todays show at Volkel was fun. Weather wasn't too bad. We had a tense moment though with the first starting F16 for the airfield attack experiencing an engine stall after what was probably a bird strike. Huge flame shot out of the afterburner, pilot entered the pattern and had another nice flame out at downwind.... Apparently he had enough power then to climb and drop his fueltank at a safe location and land. You could see the tanks fall. Now that it ended well I can say it was intriguing to see. :)

Other than those I really enjoyed the Catalina flight and the Hunters. Also keep an eye out for the Blades, awesome 'new' Brithis display team! :D

Two pics.

SU22-2.jpg

Catalina01-2.jpg

Hi,

From an airport fire-fighter here;

There is never a "nice flameout". I'm sure the unlucky pilot had his hands full and that things could have gone very wrong. Emergencies can be talked about but never spoken about as a nice "extra" to the airshow programme. Just my opinion. Well done to the unlucky pilot, good show :D

Never forget Ramstein .... this is serious business.

Thanks

I know what you mean Dag. ;) That's why I used intriguing, not 'great fun' or anything like that. And trust me, knowing a bit about aircraft behaviour it was scary to see the first flame out, immediate right turn with the aircraft slowly losing height until apparently the pilot managed to get some power out of the engine again. I was thinking, ok here we go, he'll just sink right into those trees but lucky enough that didn't happen. :)

So no worries, again it was intriguing to watch. A confirmation of the skill of these professionals. The relieve you feel when you know you pulled something off that could have gone horribly wrong. 8)

I was at the show both days, but I arrived at Volkel on Friday after 12am so I missed the bird strike of the F-16. Despite all the bad weatherforcasts the weather was mostly dry but cloudy. So not the most wonderful picture opportunity. Still I managed to make a couple of nice ones from the press grandstand :D

IMG_2381.jpg

One of the local F-16s taking off for a massive base attack (15 in total)

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Turkish Stars, flying our former Dutch NF-5s :D

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

Swiss F-18A

IMG_2438.jpg

The Blades

IMG_2470.jpg

RNLAF AH-64D Apache

IMG_2576.jpg

Hey, I've seen them before..... :lol:

IMG_2627.jpg

Royal Jordanian Falcons

IMG_2597.jpg

Yes, it was very busy on Saturday

IMG_2647.jpg

No "Open Dagen" without the KLu F-16 demo

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

Spanish EF-18 pulling some Gs

IMG_2854.jpg

The 'new' Dutch Hawker Hunter

IMG_2156.jpg

And finally the Patrouille de France ending the show

IMG_2899.jpg

I got a couple more pics here.

Here's a little contribution with the pictures I made at the Paris Airshow on Friday last week. Unfortunately the weather was really poor and I could not take as much picture as I would have like during the air show :/ But well at least I came back with more than 100 pictures, I just removed one or two that were completely blurried, and leave the rest for everyone to see. Of course the A380 was part of the show unfortunately only a few people could enter it as it was only with invitation which I obviously did not had ;)

I hope you'll like these ;)

Slideshow : http://www.flickr.com/photos/92296556@N00/...478654979/show/

Gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/92296556@N00/...57600478654979/

That's not bad at all despite the poor weather. I was thinking about going to that show but the weather was just too unreliable. Now I've missed the Super Hornet :( Ah well, maybe next year, it looks like an interesting show.

• 2 weeks later...