SIMstarter NG v1.4.0 = MakeRwys CRITICAL ERROR

Aquilam

I have been using SIMstarter NG just fine since September, however after installing this latest version I keep getting this error when trying to set an takeoff airport:

---------------------------
SIMstarter NG | startPos read runways.xml
CRITICAL ERROR: Reading < C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\data\userprofiles\FSX\runwaysNG.xml > caused a error. This can be caused by a faulty 'runways.xml' file. Problem:

Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 1391009, position 12.

Do you want to run MakeRwys again? Please restart SIMstarter NG after that.
Yes   No   Cancel   

Any suggestions? 

I did uninstall this latest update and reinstalled an earlier version, but SIMstarter still crashes when it tries to run MakeRwys.

I also deleted the runways.xml file and let SIMstarter NG create a new one, but the problem remains.

Thanks.

Thank you for the response. I finally fixed the issue by going to http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html and downloading and replacing MakeRwys.exe in the FSX-SE main folder.

For some reason the existing MakeRwys.exe had today's date, while the MakeRwys.exe downloaded from Dowson's page is dated 23 September.

Did SIMstarter NG install a different version of MakeRwys.exe with this latest update?

Thanks again for a fantastic product!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem, i.e. I get the above mentioned message when I try to set a starting position. But Aquilam's method did not solve it. SIMstarter causes a CTD whenever I try setting a starting position. I run the latest version 1.4.1.

My setup: FSX-SE is running on a Windows10 system.

runwaysNG.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Archived