Buggy bugs... - and other surprises

EDNR-Cruiser

Hi Marcel,

First of all I'd like to let you know that I've never enjoyed an aircraft half as much as your Katana 4x! I have few aircraft for FSX in my stable that I do like after all (Piper Cheyenne from DA, the much too big PMDG Jetstream 4100) and still spent more time flying the "old" FS2004 than FSX but your Katana 4x changed everything... - I simply love it and it crushed all my bad feelings for the FSX. I even find it difficult to switch my PC off at night as I'd rather would want to watch MY Katy parked all night - you know, protecting her from evil... :mallet_s:

However, as near perfect as your birdy is in Version 1.03a I got struck by bugs... - or should I better say flies and mosquitos??? :rolleyes:

There is one dead fly which doesn't move with the canopy but stays on screen even with the canopy lifted... - that is definitely not a dirt spot on my monitor, it's in the FSX...

Here are two screenshots:

post-35107-0-46202900-1325338958_thumb.j

post-35107-0-78580000-1325338981_thumb.j

Furthermore I was surprised that the generously offered natural "aircraft washing machine" doesn't work with your Katana 4x! Today I flew two hours in heavy rain (with almost no impact on speed!?!?) and in real life my plane would look almost brand new after such a shower but not your Katana 4x... - it was still as dirty as before!!!

That is cleary a buggy bug and should be cured asap... B):)

post-35107-0-58471800-1325339198_thumb.j

Okay, please don't take the latter bug too seriously - though it would be a good laugh to have even that fixed - after all this is the most perfect rendition of real flying that I ever had installed on my PCs. Thanks a lot for this superb experience!

Take care and many happy landings,

Bernd

Marcel,

I'm a bit frustrated... - somehow my Katys Oil Access Door was damaged and I can't close it any more.

Maintenance (Airframe, Engine) couldn't fix it either! Funny thing is that the engine lost oil despite the closed oil cap!

The file "data.cfg" reads:

ACCESS_DOOR_OIL_ANGLE=10.000000

...but I have no idea why that is and how to fix it with the supplied maintenance tools.

Sure, I could modify the settings in the data.cfg file but that is not what I expect nor want!

Something is wrong but I can't figure out what it is... - please advise.

My Katana is now parked for the time being and I'm waiting for help.

Sure, I could reset the configuration or tweak the data.cfg but that would ruin all the fun...

Hoping for the best,

Bernd

Surprise, surprise!!!

Snave, how did you know??? Thanks a lot!

I closed the oil access door a dozen times already with a LEFT mouse click - just as you deal with all the other stuff in the maintenance and service area... Why the heck do I need to click with the right mouse button all of a sudden?

Anyway... - it works and my Katana is ready for more flights...

Now after a short intermezzo with my Cheyenne from EDMS Straubing to EDHK Kiel-Holtenau my lovely Katana is taken out for another ride this very minute... :wub:

It's always been right click. Other doors may alternate between open and close on the left click, but that one was always right click to close IIRC...

Negative, Snave!

I just closed the Oil Access Door again with a LEFT mouse-click as I always did before!

Believe me, I was so surprised to see the left mouse button work again that I opened and closed it five times in a row! :D

I spent the whole day today asking myself wether I get too old for this, suddenly got drunk after just one glass of Champagne or probably suffer from Alzheimer... :eyepop_s:

Hmmm.... - Marcel, I just ran into the next miracle...

Your Katana is able to take-off with the tow-bar attached, shows the airspeed despite the protection in place and flies with the wheel chocks attached to the front wheel. Downside is that the wheel covers of the main gear are not displayed although installed (according to the Setup screen).

Here is the screenshot and no, I didn't fake that with PhotoShop!

post-35107-0-25895200-1325770389_thumb.j

Having witnessed two such incidents in the real world, it does happen..!

It's what the walkround check is for!

As for the wheel covers, that's usually a reuslt of getting things out of phase between flights - perhaps you have a saved flight with them not fitted, then launched the sim with the Kat when the options menu says they are? Just removing and replacing them should get things back in step.

Snave is right. I was once told by one of my instructors that he witnessed a c182 taking off with both concrete dices still attached to the wings. I can't think of how that must have looked like or how you can't notice that... Also the two bar is often a problem.

Negative, both of you!

I did the walkaround check and I did neither fit any of these items to the plane nor did I EVER remove the boots or reapplied them...

What did help was to leave the FlightSim and restart it... - then the problem was solved.

It is a visual problem only! No noticeable impact on flight performance at all... - take-off and landing was without the least of a problem, both on grass strips.

...and Snave and Piper Pilot:

Yes, these things happen and I already watched one such incident live! Trying to taxi an aircraft - a Cessna 206 in the case I watched - is loud, nasty and expensive (Cowling and prop destroyed) and no, you won't get to the runway with the tow-bar in place...

Taking off with a pitot tube cover happens more often but then you have no speed indicated and flights are stopped very quickly usually...

• 1 month later...

There is a very small chance that variables are not set on some systems, perhabs this was such a bug and I hope, it didn't appear again.

As for the rain and bugs: I should think about adding you to the beta team for the next projects. ;)