Sign in to follow this  
domm

DC8 Operations

DC8 Operations

Two remarks: The reverses work without the pneumatic pressure (pressure manifold indicator zero psi) , which is abnormal.

:D

When starting­­: The fuel flow debits with the fuel valve on off, when the starter  is actuated ??? :wacko:

page 54 Auxiliary start. I read:

"Auxiliary starts used compressed air from a main gear oleo. This system was found to cause corrosion in the strut and the system was removed from all DC-8s"

This is true, but the DC8F,  and some 50/55 passenger version was equipped with 2 high pressure air bottle installed in the right wheel well, air  ducted to a small combustor attached to the #3 eng., ( Methanol  reserve in #3 pylon) So this auxiliary function was operative.

In the conbustor kerosene was mixed with the air and ignited. The exhaust gasses were then supplied to the #3 Eng starter to turn it & fire up #3 engine.

Once again this was a last ditch arrangement for when there wasn't an air start truck was available

It was intended to be used at remote airports with few facilities and was used only to get one engine started on the ground. Once one engine was running there was electrical power and cross-bleed air to start the remaining engines.

On some aircraft there was also an air compressor to inflate the air bottles

19 hours ago, domm said:

The reverses work without the pneumatic pressure (pressure manifold indicator zero psi) , which is abnormal.

The reversers are actuated by bleed air directly from the engine and not from the pneumatic manifold.  Manifold air does operate the emergency thrust brake retractor system, but this is not modeled. 

19 hours ago, domm said:

When starting­­: The fuel flow debits with the fuel valve on off, when the starter  is actuated ???

This is not a behaviour that I coded. It appears to be simply how the FSX starter system works.  I could inhibit the movement of the fuel flow gauges (it's on my list) until the fuel is turned on, but fuel will still be consumed. 

19 hours ago, domm said:

This is true, but the DC8F,  and some 50/55 passenger version was equipped with 2 high pressure air bottle installed in the right wheel well, air  ducted to a small combustor attached to the #3 eng., ( Methanol  reserve in #3 pylon) So this auxiliary function was operative.

An auxiliary start system may have been implemented on some aircraft, but I have no information available to simulate it.  My manuals only describe the original system that was taken out of all DC-8s.

6 hours ago, Michael2 said:

The reversers are actuated by bleed air directly from the engine and not from the pneumatic manifold.  Manifold air does operate the emergency thrust brake retractor system, but this is not modeled. 

On your DC-8 reverser work even with the engines stopped, (OFF..not running)  and this is False.   You can try... And anyway, as soon as a motor runs there is pneumatic pressure indicated on the  pressure manifold indicator.

I am retired pilot, and I started my career on DC-8 in the French Air Force, and after at UTA. DC-8 50/55F/70serie So I know this aircraft very well. ( From the moment my memory is still good)
And all the DC-8 series, 50F in  the French Air Force and the all F versions from UTA, had the auxiliary star  on the #3 engine by combustor.

4 hours ago, domm said:

On your DC-8 reverser work even with the engines stopped, (OFF..not running)  and this is False.   You can try... And anyway, as soon as a motor runs there is pneumatic pressure indicated on the  pressure manifold indicator.

I am retired pilot, and I started my career on DC-8 in the French Air Force, and after at UTA. DC-8 50/55F/70serie So I know this aircraft very well. ( From the moment my memory is still good)
And all the DC-8 series, 50F in  the French Air Force and the all F versions from UTA, had the auxiliary star  on the #3 engine by combustor.

I agree that the reversers should not move when the engines are off. I overlooked this and will correct it when the cargo version is released. 

I'm happy to have the benefit of your experience if you wish to help improve the aircraft.  I can show some pressure in the manifold even with the switches off after an engine start, but I need to know how much.  You can send me a personal message if you wish. 

3 hours ago, Michael2 said:

I'm happy to have the benefit of your experience if you wish to help improve the aircraft.  I can show some pressure in the manifold even with the switches off after an engine start, but I need to know how much.  You can send me a personal message if you wish. 

Hi,
I will tell you my opinion. The cockpit is perfectly represented, well done, and that brings me back 50 years. So your plane is fine, even with this problem of textures.:cheers_s:

My pleasure is to learn flying aircraft to young people around me.

I finished my career on 767-300 at Air France

.As soon as I have time I will try this DC 8, and inform you about possible problems. If ever, I can remember. I do not have any more documentation and I have thrown away a few years ago the Operations Manual and the checklists and procedures.

Hello Michael2

First quick test

First off all...Fuel management.

It's a pity because: The DC-8 had the most advanced fuel management system, in the 50s, and you could run an engine from any source 

Crossfeed not simulated, so all fuel fill valves sw are useless

The crossfeed does not work, as well as engine fire shut-off

transfer fuel from one tank to another impossible.

Fuel in tank Alt 3 =0 and boost pump Alt 3 ON we have 15 psi ?? (see attached jipg)

Fuel in tank Alt 2 =0 and boost pump Alt 2 ON we have 0 psi that is OK

Do you send information by personal message?
Have you noticed that I'm at -8 in red, so a bad one  (
and I do n't care about that) .

I'd love to help you, but why should I help Aerosoft, who does not even bother to answer me? So if you do not mind, I'll give my comments through the forum.
Good Day  to You
regards

Fuel_1.jpg