JoHubb

JoHubb

I will be flying a London City Airways Dash 7 on this tour. In one way it is a strange choice as standard versions are relatively short range, at around 700 nm.

For the purposes of this illustrious Round the World Tour, the friendly Fokker  engineers at Schiphol have fitted auxiliary tanks on each side of the fuselage (not shown in this photo, sorry!).

With these modifications, the aircraft can load 18,000 lb. of fuel and remain airborne for around 16 hours with VFR reserves. Both the Canadian Ice Service and the British Antarctic Survey have used Dash 7s with this type of auxiliary fuel tank.

Even so, and even with a low gross weight, my flight plan is based on approximately 500 nm max range between fuel stops - to make life interesting.

Please login to display this image.

The de Havilland Dash 7 was first built in 1975 so she qualifies as a modern aeroplane. With ATC approval I will fly VOR-VOR/NDB with VFR when charts and weather allow.  Those clever chaps in Schiphol have managed to fit auxiliary tanks in two special compartments in the aircraft hold.This will give greater protection on rough surfaces than the external tanks fitted to the Canadian Ice Service plane, and will avoid the extra drag. 

I reserve the right to make unplanned, even unreported, diversions to take account of conditions enroute, to visit friends rarely visited in far off places, and to confuse detective Fix.

M. Passepartout, who has not flown before, has confided to me that he has a weak bladder. He states that he wishes to avoid any business with a bottle, not to mention a trap-door in the floor. He is worried as to the effect of the excitement provoked by taking to the air for the first time. I explained that whilst the French excel in the culinary arts, the English are well ahead when it comes to toilet facilities, even on an aeroplane. He was astonished when I showed him the Dash 7 W.C.

The range of this aeroplane, even with auxiliary tanks, will be a constant worry. The longest leg (1052 nm) is from St John’s, Newfoundland, to Flores Island in The Azores with its non-precision approach.

I will be making a positioning and test flight from Schiphol to London Southend, thence to London City if all is well.

Route and flight plan to follow.

My Route:

Airfields in red are mandatory stops.

Airfields in black are planned refuelling stops.

Airfields in italics have fuel available if required according to conditions enroute.

London City, United Kingdom (EGLC)

Linz, Austria (LOWL)

Pécs, Hungary (LHPP)

Sofia, Bulgaria (LFSB)

Kos, Greece (LGKO)

Port Said, Egypt (HEPS)

Kuwait International (OKBK)

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (OMDB)

Karachi, Pakistan (OPKC)

Mumbai, India (VABB)

Nagpur, Maharashtra (VANP)

Calcutta, India (VECC)

Mae Sot, Thailand (VTPM)

(special arrangements are in place with Royal Thai Air Force for 5,000 lbs Jet-A to be available here)

Tak, Thailand (VTPT)  

(special arrangements are in place with Royal Thai Air Force for 5,000 lbs Jet-A to be available here)

Udon Thani, Thailand (VTUD

Hong Kong International, Hong Kong (VHHH)

Wenzhou, China (ZSWS)

Kagoshima, Japan (RJFK)

Yokohama, Japan (RJTF)

Tokachi, Japan (RJCT)

Petropavlov-Kamchatsky Russia (UHPP)

Eareckson AB (PASY)

Unalaska, Dutch Harbor, Alaska (PADU)

Kodiak, Kodiak Island (PADQ)

Yakutat, Alaska (PAYA)

Port Hardy, B.C., Canada (CAW5)

Olympia Regional, Wa (KOLM)

San Francisco, Ca (KSFO)

(San Jose, Ca (KSJC))

Greater Kankankee (KIKK)

Aspen, Co (KASE)

New York, Linden (KLDJ)

Eastport Municipal, Maine (KEBM)

St John’s, Newfoundland (CYYT)

Flores Island, The Azores, Portugal (LPFL)

Santa Maria Island, The Azores, Portugal (LPLA)

Cascais, Portugal, (LPCS)

Limoges, Limousin, France (LFBL)

Hey Jo,

That's a great Diary! In fact, unless there is an objection, I'd like to do one to replicate this one for myself.  I'm planning on flying a HondJet and 500NM is well within its' range.

RW I was a chopper pilot with the USMC so a chopper is almost always my first plane out of the hanger.  Having said that, I'd need a host of LPHS chartered to refuel me as my range would be less than 225 NMS.  Not to mention, it takes a pretty long while to travel very far with an average airspeed of about 115knts and a stop for fuel every couple of hours. 

Here in Kentucky we have an old saying "Horses for Courses."  For example, you wouldn't enter a draft horse or a quarter horse in the Kentucky Derby.  I find the HodaJet to be a fun plane to fly so I'll plan on using it.

Rupert

Welcome to Limoges (LFBL), it's very close to my home !!! :D

FYI, the French Jean Passepartout Appreciation Society will fly with Airbus, with first class culinary art AND suitable toilets... ;) 

And, BTW, many thanks for keeping Detective Fix busy !!

Rupert,

Your idea of a round the world tour in a chopper reminded me of this chap from Ireland:

http://gyroxgoesglobal.blogspot.co.uk/ 

All in a good cause too!

Of course, I would be happy if you wished to duplicate my route. But, remember, there is one leg which is close on 1200 nm over the sea. Also, there are many legs which are well over 500 nm. I don't know if long-range fuel tanks are available for the Hondajet. If not, I fear that at some point on the way you will all get very wet, or worse! 

EDIT: Just noticed this about collapsible fuel tanks from Mathijs: http://www.turtlepac.com/products/collapsible-aircraft-ferry-tanks/

Eric,

Ah, Limoges! Quelle belle ville! Ma femme et moi l'avons visité plusieurs fois. Nous l'aimons et nous aimons Limousin aussi. Nous convenons que les dames de Limousin sont très belles aussi!

(Rough translation: my wife and I love Limoges, and we agree that the ladies of the area are very pretty too). 

As regards 'facilities' thank you for putting me right about Airbus toilets. I had no idea! Neither had I any idea that M. Passepartout was a culinary expert. I suspect he will be very disappointed with the Dash 7 galley...what to do??

JoHubb,

Thanks so much for letting me get info from your diary! As to the range concern, I think I have that covered.  According to the specs. on the FSX HondaJet, it has a VFR range of 1,400NM.  And a speed of .71M at FL390.  So I think I probably have adequate reserves!!;)

The 500NM between stops is because I'm not really into flying 1,000 or more at a time unless I really need to.  In fact I do a lot more flying at 250knt. or so for less than a hour at a time than not.  Whereas RW for me about two hours+- at 120knts. was considered a pretty long flight. 

Once we took two CH-46s out of MCAF Santa Ana on a flight to Las Vegas.  After over a hour we sere still trying to get over the mountains and waving at cars who were passing us while they were driving the Grapevine!  We were indicating 125knts and everyone on the crowded freeway passed us like we were standing still.  In fact part of the time we weren't standing still, we were moving backwards.  True Speed Over Ground occasionally equaled -5 to -10 knts!!!?? :o 

Obviously we returned to MCAF, refueled, then waited till the next morning to cross over during the relative calm!!

14 hours ago, rupert said:

JoHubb,

Thanks so much for letting me get info from your diary! As to the range concern, I think I have that covered.  According to the specs. on the FSX HondaJet, it has a VFR range of 1,400NM.  And a speed of .71M at FL390.  So I think I probably have adequate reserves!!;)

In fact part of the time we weren't standing still, we were moving backwards.  True Speed Over Ground occasionally equaled -5 to -10 knts!!!?? :o 

On 9/27/2017 at 11:42 PM, JoHubb said:

My Route:

Airfields in red are mandatory stops.

Airfields in black are planned refuelling stops.

Airfields in italics have fuel available if required according to conditions enroute.

Linz, Austria (LOWL)

Pécs, Hungary (LHPP)

Sofia, Bulgaria (LFSB)

Kos, Greece (LGKO)

Port Said, Egypt (HEPS)

Kuwait International (OKBK)

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (OMDB)

Karachi, Pakistan (OPKC)

Mumbai, India (VABB)

Nagpur, Maharashtra (VANP)

Calcutta, India (VECC)

Mae Sot, Thailand (VTPM)

Tak, Thailand (VTPT)  

Udon Thani, Thailand (VTUD

Hong Kong International, Hong Kong (VHHH)

Wenzhou, China (ZSWS)

Kagoshima, Japan (RJFK)

Yokohama, Japan (RJTF)

Tokachi, Japan (RJCT)

Petropavlov-Kamchatsky Russia (UHPP)

Eareckson AB (PASY)

Unalaska, Dutch Harbor, Alaska (PADU)

Kodiak, Kodiak Island (PADQ)

Yakutat, Alaska (PAYA)

Port Hardy, B.C., Canada (CAW5)

Olympia Regional, Wa (KOLM)

San Francisco, Ca (KSFO)

(San Jose, Ca (KSJC))

Greater Kankankee (KIKK)

Aspen, Co (KASE)

New York, Linden (KLDJ)

Eastport Municipal, Maine (KEBM)

St John’s, Newfoundland (CYYT)

Flores Island, The Azores, Portugal (LPFL)

Santa Maria Island, The Azores, Portugal (LPLA)

Cascais, Portugal, (LPCS)

Limoges, Limousin, France (LFBL)

Not sure if you should re look at Mae Sot.

Just long enough at sea level but it is 700ft  and hot. and short

only dash-4s and similar usually operate there.  

Yangoon may be more convenient.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:07 AM, rupert said:

Hey Jo,

That's a great Diary! In fact, unless there is an objection, I'd like to do one to replicate this one for myself.  I'm planning on flying a HondJet and 500NM is well within its' range.

RW I was a chopper pilot with the USMC so a chopper is almost always my first plane out of the hanger.  Having said that, I'd need a host of LPHS chartered to refuel me as my range would be less than 225 NMS.  Not to mention, it takes a pretty long while to travel very far with an average airspeed of about 115knts and a stop for fuel every couple of hours. 

Here in Kentucky we have an old saying "Horses for Courses."  For example, you wouldn't enter a draft horse or a quarter horse in the Kentucky Derby.  I find the HodaJet to be a fun plane to fly so I'll plan on using it.

Rupert

A guy called Dick Smith, later to be in charge of destroying aviation in Australia traveled round the world in his.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/blogs/on-this-day/2010/07/on-this-day-dick-smiths-around-the-world-solo-flight/

Couple of things, Harry,

Thanks for your interest but I'm not sure where you got your information about Mae Sot runway length, air temperature (26C today), or airfield elevation.

Check this link:  https://skyvector.com/airport/VTPM/Tak-Mae-Sot-Airport.

Second, I hate choppers with a vengeance!  So I am unsure why you posted the Dick Smith link here, interesting as it is. Perhaps you meant to post it in Rupert's diary??

I hope you have a good trip with Passepartout and manage to avoid Detective Fix!  He's a tricky customer, so I'll be flying off piste sometimes. Shh! 

I hpoe you keep out of Mr Fixs way, and hope it is not you that has to be rescued from the pyre, 

I was basing it on a trip there when they only ran Caravans, because of the high trees close to the threshold and the winds it was a fairly exciting trip from Chiangmai. (I  was living there at the time but now live in chiangrai.  I  was trying to be helpful but I see they must have done something because NOK before it's operatiing licence was suspended was using dash 8s (a nice choice by the way, it was my first if they had updated to p3d4 bujt my falback is still a good ones.

It will be a bit warmer in the end of October, round 30 degrees so you are realy operating at a density altitude of round 3000ft. so 5000ft is still short when a Dash 8 needs 4819 ft at STP. But I actually remember it as shorter which is why I said,  They have done some work on it to make it okay for Dash8 and are doing more at the moment to make it ok for jets.

Yes, the link may have been better in Rupert's diary which is who it was mainlly meant for.  I am used to forums which go sequentially.

Have a great trip, as I am sure I will, and if I upset you again I do not mean to.     

(I hope that reference to flying off piste was not refering to Duty Free Cognac.)  :)  

Harry

6 hours ago, JoHubb said:

"Couple of things, Harry,

Thanks for your interest but I'm not sure where you got your information about Mae Sot runway length, air temperature (26C today), or airfield elevation.

Check this link:  https://skyvector.com/airport/VTPM/Tak-Mae-Sot-Airport.

Second, I hate choppers with a vengeance!  So I am unsure why you posted the Dick Smith link here, interesting as it is. Perhaps you meant to post it in Rupert's diary??"

Wow!  You hate choppers?  I never got that reaction from any of the fixed wing drivers I plucked out of the ocean on S&R.  Nor, come to think of it, any of the grunts I pulled out of a hot zone or resupplied on the side of a mountain.;).

6 hours ago, JoHubb said:

Harry,

Pyre!! Maybe I should stay at home!!

I was confused by your post, not upset. Thanks for your suggestion.  I hope you have a very enjoyable tour.

John

Rupert,

If your best friend was killed in a chopper, you might feel different.

BTW, what on earth is a 'grunt'?  The noise a pig makes I know.

22 hours ago, JoHubb said:

Rupert,

If your best friend was killed in a chopper, you might feel different.

BTW, what on earth is a 'grunt'?  The noise a pig makes I know.

Actually my three best friends were all killed in H-46s.  One of them was flying right seat (Pilot in Command seat in a chopper) while I was flying in the left.  I got shot that mission as well but managed to get back to a safe area.  Sadly by then Rocky Garner, my friend, was already dead.

The other two, Bill Miller & Larry Bumgarter, flew into the side of a mountain during a training exercise in So. Cal.  I don't think any of these three deaths were the fault of the plane.  In fact I feel choppers saved a lot of lives at least during Vietnam!!

In the Marine Corps a "Grunt" is what we call a "Basic Rifleman"  in other words a "grunt" is a Marine who fights on the ground.  They all loved choppers.  Choppers were their Life-line!

Mine was killed when the gearbox burst in fog. If he hadn't been in the thing, he wouldn't have been killed. Same goes for your pals.

Peace be with you.

On 10/3/2017 at 5:01 AM, JoHubb said:

Mine was killed when the gearbox burst in fog. If he hadn't been in the thing, he wouldn't have been killed. Same goes for your pals.

Peace be with you.

True enough, I guess.  Does that mean we should all stay home with our windows and doors locked in fear of encountering the real world?  I got shot up twice in Vietnam and have been disabled ever since.  Both times I was in a H-46.  But I never blamed the plane.  And had I not volunteered to the Marine Corps, I'd die wondering what I'd missed and why I hadn't tried!  Such is the human condition. 

I have a friend from the Vietnam era who worked on ejector seats of F-4 Phantoms.  One time the ejection seat he was working on fired off, took out one of his eyes, tore up his shoulder, then hit the roof of the hanger and fell hitting him again.  Through all of that he's never felt he wouldn't get near another fixed wing airplane.  Just the opposite.

Peace BE With You!!  I truly believe your friend would not want you to spend your life grieving in this manner!  Nor do I expect he would for a minute regret the times he spent living his life including the time he spent with a chopper!

Archived