I have installed a 480gb SSD with a 40gb partition for my win7 pro OS and 409gb for other things (possibly FSX).  Currently my FSX resides on a 300gb hdd/7200rpm and works well.  By cloning FSX to a SSD I understand that it boots quicker, but no gain in FPS which is what I most would like to see.  So my first job will be to transfer the OS only from the hdd to the SSD.  Disccloning programs can not clone just the OS to the SSD and leave the rest as it is, as I have understood it.  If I reinstall win7 pro from the dvd to my SSD, would that affect my current installation?  I would like to be able to boot from alternatively hdd and ssd for a while.  I am also afraid that "pointers! in i.e. windows registry and so on get mixed up.  When you clone a disc, I believe that all target adresses are change also, but I am not sure.

I would really appreciate feedback from people who have done this before me.  Maybe I should take the big leap and transfer both while I am at it?

Thank you in advance :)

The only way you'll be able to separate the OS from the Flight Sim install is to perform a reinstall, however I recommend a different path.

I recommend cloning everything to the SSD.  One of the best (and free) programs to do this is the Free Version of Macrium Reflect.  With everything on one harddrive, you will be able to quickly and efficiently create a backup image or clone (I do the latter) just in case something happens with your install or primary HD. The performance increase gained by separating your OS from the FS install is really minimal, and I'd argue it's far better to be able to backup or clone 1 drive to 1 drive.

PERFORMANCE INCREASE

Several months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and found the OS to operate faster and cleaner, and both FSX and P3D to run far better with less strain on my system and much improved frame rates.  I was using x3 23 inch monitors, and then replaced one of those with a 55 inch 4k T.V. and my performance was still terrific.

Then, just prior to the OVPA Flight Sim Web Conference (Sept 24th) the Win 10 Anniversary Update got through where I'd blocked it, and that update trashes my computer due to my having Cortana turned off when the update was installed.  I reverted back to Windows 7 and with the 55 inch 4K my performance was dismal.  I re-upgraded to Win 10 (this time the Anniversary update auto installed) and I am happy to report that with x2 23 inch and x1 55 inch 4K TV I was able to bang up to in excess of 140fps in the P3D default F-22 at Eglin AFB (default flight).  As a run with frames capped at about 32fps, I can't tell you what the Aerosoft Airbus, Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pro or Leonardo Maddog (FSX) run at max frame rate, but I can tell you that there is no struggle running either FSX or P3D, I hit 30fps with little dips below that at numerous payware airports.

MY SYSTEM:

i7-4770K, Turbo at 4.5 (no O/C)

GTX 960 (no O/C)

ORBX Global and Vector

GSX

Payware airports (roughly 60 of them)

Only slightly higher than normal settings in FSX/P3D.  In P3D I have HDR and shadows turned off.

FS Tweaks:  I run with a few NVIDIA Inspector settings, but for FS the only tweak I have installed is the High Memory Fix and Affinity Mask in FSX, and only the Affinity Mask in P3D.

CAVEAT:  I don't know if such a performance increase would be found for LCD monitors.

Best wishes.

Thank you, this convinced me - it's a good idea to upgrade to Win10 Pro.  I will also install OS and FSX on the same partition.  I am currently replacing one of the harddiscs in my 'Drobobox and when that is finished, a complete backup of C:\ and H:\ ( H: is where my fsx installation resides) will be transferred to the Drobobox.  Then the cloning starts.  Thank you for your informative answer.

Archived