PFPX unable to find/produce "simple" routes...

Greetings,

I've been having the odd issue where PFPX cannot find/produce a very simple(relatively) route.  For a fairly complex route finder application it's a little odd.  I've actually had to go and use Simbrief to find the route then copy and paste it into PFPX.  So here are the two scenarios I've encountered this problem with.  Both are using the "Dash 8-400" with the  latest PFPX performance profile.

Try and find routes between:  CYFB-BGGH & BGGH-BIKF

Both of these give me "Route finder was not able to find a valid Route.  Open Advance Route Finder?"  This is where I'd go and use Simbrief and it would find the route for me.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Todd.

Hello Todd,

It could be due to the lack of airways from departure until arrival that PFPX does not find a route.

Just looking at the Jeppesen charts I would say CYFB MUSVA CLAVY GH BGGH. Only directs. One snag is that there are no procedure for C and C aircrafts and only 950 m runway which is going to be very limitative.

The other route there is an airway but not for all the flight and it seems that BGGH NUTKA UT594 SOSIT GIRUG BIKF should be all right.

Regards,

JP

Thanks for the reply JP.

My point wasn't really on what route to take.  There were definitely a few options available.

It was more on why PFPX came up completely empty and yet Simbrief, freeware at that, gave me a number of viable routes?

Hello Todd,

I used Simbrief before but I got strange results. I checked the routes given by Simbrief between BGGH to BIKF and found it is wrong as GIMLI does not exist anymore in Iceland.

From CYFB to BGGH it gives a correct route:  YFB MUSVA CLAVY KU

I suppose the routes given by Simbrief are routes entered by users like many other free planners. PFPX does not work the same way. It calculate the route each time but unfortunately in some regions where there are no airways all along the route, the calculations do not work. It is the same with company routes in Europe, PFPX does not know them and sometimes gives completely different results than RW.

It could be a bit frustrating at times but I am not sure that professional flight planners costing a bit more would give better results.

Regards,

JP

• Deputy Sheriffs

As I see it there simply are now airways in the vicinity that the route finder can utilize.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Every time I fly up there I also have to plan the route manually, as the finder is unable to build anything meaningful.

PFPX requires links either via airways or directs to generate routes.

If an area is not covered you can simply create new directs using the 'airway/waypoint' editor. I would suggest adding your own 'USER' database.

In Europe with the increase in Free Route Airspace and the removal of airways in some of those FIR's myself and now taken up by David, aka Sharky, have produced direct files to allow route generation.

Turn on the map DCT function to view available links.

In the end I did use other sources but I was a little surprised that PFPX couldn't come up with anything.  Something like a simple point to point random route using the great circle as the reference path.

All good here.  Thanks for the clarification guys.

Cheers!

Archived