CTDs and blue screens

Roy3103

Roy,

Would you also please download and install AppCrashViewer, and run this the next time either FSX Crashes to Desktop or you have a Blue Screen?  This program will show you all the crashes you've had, and you just have to select the one that occurred last. You can actually copy and paste the crash information from the crash right here in the forums.

What we'll need is the last crash before the actual Crash, and any FSX related Crashes.

Anton,

That error code is usually the result on bad memory OR overclocking your CPU or RAM higher than the RAM capability. If you're overclocked, please go back to normal speeds and see if you get the crash.  You can find additional information (and assistance for hardware related issues) HERE

Dave,

I'm not at home at the moment. If i have the opportunity this weekend i will answer and execute your comments, otherwise i will do it on monday. 

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Bivy1900,

Just to cover what Tom said a few weeks ago in this thread, Blue Screens can't be caused by the aircraft software. There has to be something going on with Windows or it could be a heat related problem (such as Roy seams to be having).

Please understand that while I can point out a few things that may help you, Aerosoft is a Simulation Software company rather than a computer troubleshooting company. It really is up to the individual users to ensure their computer meets the specifications AND is healthy enough to run such a program as hard on the processor as FSX/P3D and even X-Plane can be.  I know (and understand) that isn't the type of thing someone wants to hear when they're having problems (I really do), but the fact is that we're already extremely busy with work on our side of the fence (aircraft software work) and just don't have any time left to really get down into system level problems which if serious enough will require you to take the computer into have it properly diagnosed and corrected.

I am however very happy to help you try and resolve the problem yourself by checking some common problems which are easy to correct.

1. Many Blue Screen problems are caused by very high tempretatures, excessive heat over a long period of time (which will damage the hardware, requiring replacement parts or a new computer). There is a free program called Hardware Monitor which can help you to monitor your tempretures and it will give you an alarm and/or even shut down your system if it gets too hot (at a temperature you specify in the settings). Anyone who over clocks should run such a program to prevent damage to their system.  Two other things you can do to help with heat related issues is to clean out the computer vents (and inside the computer as well... just don't actually touch any of the cards or motherboard) and provide additional cooling.

2. Windows updates can sometimes cause a Blue Screen.  A friend of mine recently installed a Windows update and got a Blue Screen, so he unistalled the latest Windows Update and his system is working normally.  You can check for what updates were installed in the Windows Control Panel, Programs and Features.  If you choose to uninstall and update, only install one at a time, then check to seei if the problem is resolved. You can also Google the Update Number to see if others are having problems with it before you uninstall it.

3. The third most common cause of Blue Screens is a bad memory board.  Please google "Memory Troubleshooting" this for additional information on how to figure out which board might be causing problems.

If you get past all of the above, and you're sure it's not Heat or Over Clock related, then my best advice is that you take your computer in to have it professionally serviced.

The above is a lot of work to do, but I'd start with looking at a heat related issue (and get Hardware Monitor to help you check this out) and work yourself down from there.

I sincerely hope this helps you!  Please let us know how you made out.

EDIT:  It was very late for me when I posted the above, and I forgot to mention that Overclocking can also cause Blue Screens and also can cause heat related issues. To find out if Overclocking is the culprit, simply go back to normal settings.

• 3 months later...

Dave,

Sorry for my very late reaction ( due to some personal issues ).

In the mean time I tested a lot and came to the conclusion that I can fly the plane but not with ASN activated. As soon ASN is running its getting worse and worse. VPilot seems to do some harm as well, not much but every bit counts right.

I also checked the CPU temp and it's rising towards the low 90's when FSX is active and as soon it gets too warm my CPU will be downgraded to around 2.0Ghz. I didn't had any blue screens since November though.

Also, I started to build a new PC, I needed one so why not put the focus on gaming. It's going to be a lot better than what I have right now ( Asus Maximus Hero Viii, 16GB 3000 Dominators, i7 6700K, SSD+ m.2 not sure about the GPU yet ) so lets hope i will be able to fly the Airbus with the new machine.

Roy

Roy,

Welcome back.

Not sure what you mean by "worse and worse", more and faster Blue Screens and/or CTDs?

vPilot should not affect the aircraft or sim.  What you may be seeing are additional programs causing more processing which in turn raises Temps even higher.  FSX/P3D places a very large demand on any system, and increased demand (processing) means increased Temps. 

I'll go back to my post above, have you checked what I recommended?  If so, what were the results?

Looking forward to hearing about the results from my previous recommendations.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

What i mean with "worse and worse" is that as soon ASN is running the planes becomes unhandelble, as soon i turn ASN off everything is ok and i can fly the plane

So far i didn't had any blue screens or CTD.

The CPU temp is between 91 and 96 and as soon it hits 96 my cpu starts running at 1.8ghz for a second, so i think the temp is the biggest issue in this case.

Roy

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 18/02/2016 at 5:42 PM, Roy3103 said:

I also checked the CPU temp and it's rising towards the low 90's when FSX is active and as soon it gets too warm my CPU will be downgraded to around 2.0Ghz. I didn't had any blue screens since November though.

Hello Roy,

please take a look into the system requirements for the bus:

System requirements:
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2, Acceleration Pack, Gold Edition or Steam Edition) or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D (v2 or v3)
Windows VISTA, Windows 7, Windows 8 (all fully updated) (64 bit version highly recommended)
3.0 GHz processor (Dual Core processor or equivalent system recommended)
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
Mouse with mouse wheel (please note the controller and mouse with mouse wheel are absolutely needed)
3D Graphics Card with minimal 512 MB (2 GB recommended)
Control unit (joystick) with throttle and rudder control
Download-Size: 1 GB
Installations-Size: 2.5 GB

How many FPS do you have without ASN and after starting ASN? Also, how do the FPS change when your CPU is downgraded to 2GHz?

Hi,

I have had this problem too with FSX.

Some Microsoft Forums told me that the Power supply or the CPU doesn't do what it shoult.

I brought bothe back to the store and got two new one.

Then i've never had an issue again.

best Regards

Julien

18 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

Hello Roy,

please take a look into the system requirements for the bus:

System requirements:
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2, Acceleration Pack, Gold Edition or Steam Edition) or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D (v2 or v3)
Windows VISTA, Windows 7, Windows 8 (all fully updated) (64 bit version highly recommended)
3.0 GHz processor (Dual Core processor or equivalent system recommended)
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
Mouse with mouse wheel (please note the controller and mouse with mouse wheel are absolutely needed)
3D Graphics Card with minimal 512 MB (2 GB recommended)
Control unit (joystick) with throttle and rudder control
Download-Size: 1 GB
Installations-Size: 2.5 GB

How many FPS do you have without ASN and after starting ASN? Also, how do the FPS change when your CPU is downgraded to 2GHz?

The frames with ASN is around 12 to 15 and without around 25. With the downgrade it will go around 12 to 15 frames.

I know that the heat is the problem but i am not going to resolve it because i am building a desktop at the moment. I am not building it especially for the bus but i hope it will solve the problem. Question for me still remains, with the PMDG 737,777 and 747 and don't have any problems and the cpu is not getting hotter that 90 and so the cpu won't be downgraded why does this happen only with the bus from Aerosoft

Thanks for the thoughts Julian but that is not possible at the moment since i am playing on a laptop.

Greets,

Roy

• Deputy Sheriffs
22 hours ago, Roy3103 said:

... why does this happen only with the bus from Aerosoft

Hello Roy,

that's quite easy to answer: they don't have any or the same fly by wire system as the Airbus which is doing quite a huge amount of calculation in the background. There is a reason for the minimum of 18 FPS for the AS bus: it guarantees that all necessary calculation can be done in the background in time. If the FPS drop below 18 the time is not enough any more to do all calculations. 

The FPS difference with ASN is because ASN itself brings a certain load on your system. All those great tools like ASN or the AS bus brings a lot of realism into your sim, but this is of course not for free. It costs resources.

You might notice also differences in FPS between AS and PMDG when switching ASN on and off. The reason for this is, that the AS weather radar actually scans the weather in side the sim. When directed downwards you even get returns from the ground. so when being high enough you can therefore use the WXR as a sort of map tool. The PMDG WXR is nothing like that. It gets the weather information not from the sim but via a special interface directly from ASN. That doesn't consume that amount of performance as the scan the AS WXR is doing, but you wouldn't get any ground returns and it only works with ASN, while the AS WXR works with *every* weather tool, even the build in FSX/P3D weather.

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. For now it seems i need to fly it without ASN till my desktop is done.

Thanks for the help, maybe it gives you guys a little more info for people simming on a laptop.

No lets wait for the A330.

Regards,

Roy

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived