Just a quick comment on how much thrust you need to taxi...

This is something to think about when we say "The aircraft should taxi at idle engine thrust" etc etc... The other day I actually started using X-Plane 10 (STEM edition, avoid like the plague, it's bugged, go for the disk edition) and something very interesting happened to me after pushing back from a gate at an airport (I think it was Alicante LEAL). I pushed back with the tug (I can't remember what airplane it was, either the JArdesign A320 or the Flyjsim 732) and when I finished the pushback, I set parking brakes, and went about starting the second engine.

With both engines on, flaps at takeoff setting, lights on etc etc, I released the parking brakes and before I could add thrust, the aircraft started rolling BACKWARDS... I panicked because I thought I hadn't turned off the pushback thing, but I had, so I then thought that it was a bug or something to do with the engine thrust. I added thrust and taxied forward. Anyway, as I moved along the taxiway, I noticed something. On X-Plane, it's not just the runways that follow the terrain slope, but also the taxiways and aprons!! AS I taxied to the runway, I caught a downhill part and I didn't have to add any thrust, the aircraft maintained speed, even accelerated a little, and then I got to the runway (runway 28 in LEAL) and I had to do an almost 150 degree turn, so it was slightly uphill again and I found myself having to give a fair bit of thrust after holding short just to get the aircraft moving again.

So think about that and that in FS all airports are completely flat and level (except the odd one out there that does have a sloped runway) when you say how the A32x should behave when taxiing and say that other people say it can taxi at idle thrust. It can, but was the ground comepletely flat and level when it happened? IMO, I think it should be able to taxi with ease, but not at idle.

And with that in mind... please Aerosoft, make sloped runways for X-Plane, not flat ones! Please! :cheers_s:

EDIT: I'll take it back, managed to see some pics of non-flat airports ffrom Aerosoft.

It has been mentioned before that at idle the engines can produce a small amount of thrust.

In a flight sim you also have to take into account incorrect mesh which can add slopes where there are none in reality.

The Airbus does taxi at IDLE, even at flat aprons/taxiways/runways irl. I've explained more details in other posts hundret of times, so please use the search function to find it.

The Airbus does taxi at IDLE, even at flat aprons/taxiways/runways irl. I've explained more details in other posts hundret of times, so please use the search function to find it.

I wasn't looking for an answer from anyone, so that comment is a bit out of place. I know about the search function, sadly I have had to use it a fair ammount of times.

Archived