Piper Supercub

wilkin52

Hey chaps,

Is there any way to increase the power of the Piper Supercub?

The reason I ask is when I look on the web there are many cubs now running 200hp +.

I wonder if there is an effective way of modifying an aircraft to do this or if aerosoft might release an update to include a more powerful version. Amphibious or tundra would be best.

Cheers,

Dan

There sure is - you have to create a new model (simply duplicate one of the existing cubs) and name it "Cub 200HP" or something appropriate...

And then comes the work... you have to fiddle around with the new Cub's "air" file - there's a couple of airfile editors available on the web as freeware which givve names to the various lines of code and you have to do a lot of trial and error if you don't know what you're doing...

Remember - make a copy - don't work on an original file. As to which parts to change - I don't know, but you'll have to have all the specs for a 200HP Cub like rate of climb, stress limits, whatever. I am just suggesting this because I have seen similar things done with other aircraft.

• Aerosoft
Hey Chris,

Thanks for your advice. It seems I have been heard by the aerosoft tweakers who are looking into this now. Possibly safer by far.

Thanks again for your reply.

Dan.

Worked on it a bit yesterday, but got stuck on the prop. The new model will got to have a McCauly metal screw, but I can't find any data on there props. Is there anybody around that knows something about that?

• Aerosoft
Hey Math,

Any news on the update my friend?

Cheers,

Dan.

Not really. All FS2004 work has to take second place to FSx developments now (and to be honest I spend almost the whole weekend on the track, trying to beat a few Porsches...)

• Aerosoft
Thanks for the reply. I'm no good at being patient.

I hope you did well against the porsches. what were you driving and where?

cheers, Dan.

I did great... Only on the long circuit does their higher top speed hurt me, but I had no problem taking them on in my Lotus Elise Sport

• Aerosoft
I really like the Elise, mid engined and light. Have you ever taken it around the old Nurburgring?

No, but it not really a good circuit for it. Too much long straights, I need twisty circuits with loads of corners I can drift out of with 7800 revs.

Dear Sir,

I am very glad to ear that the super is going to be revamped for FSX.

The Cub Crafter TOP CUB is indeed probably the best one you can find on the market and all informations of concern can be found on their web site.

I would also appreciate that new options and corrections should be taken into account as:

-Cargo pod

-Belly tank (and combination of both tank+cargo)

-Cargo door

-Large "square" instrument Panel

-Transparent lower door

-MacAuley 82 inch prop

-Vortex wings

-Square wings

-20" Tundra tires (much more used than 31 due to less drag for a reasonable efficiency)

- Nice steamlined wheel pants for standard model

-Revised EDO Floats (without the top structure added in the FS9 model)

-Revised Wipline Amphibs floats including side step and correctly steering wheels)

-On both float models, correctly drawn rudders and added front inside water deflectors

-Good effects for floats and skis versions

Other nice to have would be the possiblility to have two visible passengers(male hunters!) as well as visible cargo behind the back seat.

I have hundreds of pictures on super cubs and I could, of course, help you for any required clarifications.

Thanks for reworking the fantastic super cub.

Did I say something wrong?

I would appreciate to know what are your improvements plans on this model as this is the aircraft I fly the most (together with the Beaver) in fantastics Misty and Tongass sceneries.

Thanks for your answer together with maybe an expected release date.

• Aerosoft
Did I say something wrong?

I would appreciate to know what are your improvements plans on this model as this is the aircraft I fly the most (together with the Beaver) in fantastics Misty and Tongass sceneries.

Thanks for your answer together with maybe an expected release date.

No, was just too busy and trying to contact Cub Crafters. I really love the Sports Cub and those new panels. That is a model I would really like to do as well. I need however a bit more info for the panels and gauges.

I was talking about the TOP CUB (the real one)

The sport cub just being a ultra light is quite far away from the original

Just drop me a PM where we can exchange ideas and documents on what could be your next Super Cub release.

Sincerly yours

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note in regard to the Supercub add-on. You did a great job the first time around, and I hope it remains about the same. The supercub was made for STOL work, not to be fast. I would hate to see an unrealistic 3k fpm climb rate or a 140kt crusing speed or some other BS like that. as far as what is really being used in the field, please log on www.supercub.organd fire away your questions. We will all be very happy to answer any you may have. As for the lighter cubs, the LSA class in the US is gaining substantial momentum in popularity. Cub such as the Legend (not even close to being an ultralight...) would also be great add-on and I'm sure the boys at Sulphur Spring would be delighted to work with you. Check there site at http://www.legend.aero

Please keep the flight charateristics real.

Thanks a bunch.Looking forward to buying the new Supervub version for FSX 8)