spam prevention idea

PatrickZ

It occurs to me that there's still quite some spam on this forum. Not as much as there used to be, but it's not completely vanished. I've just reported another spam post I found.

My idea to make this forum less attractive to spammers is to not allow links in the first X number of posts for any new created account. After all, all those spam posts are created by new created accounts (they all got only one post) and they all include links wich the spammers want you to click. I've seen this rule on several other forums and it seems to work. Once a user has posted a number of normal messages you know it's not a spammer and links should be granted.

What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea. AVSIM also has (or at least has had) a different approach to prevent spamming: New members cannot post until they are a member for 5 days or a week, but I understand that this may not be a viable solution for the forums of a commercial entity.

Archived