Strange Poor Performance - i7-4790K

Hello everyone,

So, a few days after having this PC, I had problems with the sound card. I did a few system restores but no change. Oddly enough, after most of the system restores, I got BSODs.. I haven't overclocked. I had high temps with my 4790K but it was fine and I got really good performance with FSX but now with lower temps, it has gotten worse.

I have accidentally reset settings in the Asus BIOS to default and I believe that may have contributed to the result I now have with very poor performance in FSX and other games..

One thing I noticed with RealTemp after this change from the BIOS was this:

(The good one): http://billedeupload.dk/?v=rZnD2.png

My clock was constant 4.4GHz and it says ''100 x 44.0'', and stayed like that throughout, producing great performance.

(The bad one): http://billedeupload.dk/?v=DQJar.png

Now, my CPU performs strangely jumping up and down a lot more often and my FPS at unlimited varies greatly from 20 to 130 and the top right shows ''99.94 x 42.5'' which I believe is a multiplier of some sort.

Thanks in advance and any help and advice would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, are you using the stock fan? I got really high temps and purchased a Noctua fan cooler. Best thing I ever did.

The CPU will boost itself to 4.4 if it needs to, or you can manually set it to always run at 4.4 but you need a good cooler. If you have an Asus board, run a Bios update, and see how you go.

Thanks for the reply - appreciate it! Using a liquid cooling system: Antec Kuhler H20 650. My Asus BIOS is grey and orange, a little different from what I've otherwise seen. How can I manually set it to run at 4.4? Would that still be called an overclock and could I do that from the BIOS? And where can I run a BIOS update?

Cheers,

Dan

Archived