DIRECT vs ABEAM

Tom A320

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello guys,

about a year ago I started flying the AXE and am still learning everyday new things about this wonderful bird.

There is one thing I am still struggling a little bit with, and wonder if someone here is able to explain the difference to me. Wikipedia etc. weren't really able to get me out of my confusion.

So the question is, what is the difference between DIRECT and ABEAM? What is used for what?

Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Tom.

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you simply go DIRECT you delete every waypoint in between. When going DIRECT and you are using abeam waypoints, the FMGCs create waypoints enroute which are 'abeam' the ones that were initially enroute.

So you have a lot of unnecessary points in the MCDU and on the ND.

If you need a previously deleted waypoint for e.g. a fuelcheck it's much more elegant (and uncluttered) to push the sec f-plan button.

Thanks for the answer!

I think I get the difference now. Once ABEAM is getting fully implemented with the upcoming A318/A319 respective afterwards the A320/A321 update it will get even more clearer :-)

• Deputy Sheriffs

That was the missing link I was searching for :-)

Are the aalpha, abravo, etc waypoints more or less 90 degrees "abeam" from the origial ones? I just wonder where excactly the FMGC locates them on the direct path to delta.

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for all the answers. I just wasn't able to get the picture how the MCDU handles the ABEAM function. That's clear now :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Unfortunately its not working correctly with the Airbus

Yes, but it will be in the upcoming A318/A319, and afterwards also in the A320/A321. There is a screenshot in the A318/A319 preview thread which made me wonder how the abeam function works in general in the bus.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed that the ABEAM function was not working properly, as well as the function whereby you create a radial intercept to a fix. The latter is commonly done in the real aircraft while being vectored to an ILS.

May we assume the fixes for these functions spoken of in the above post will find their way to the Airbus X as well?

Archived