Aerosoft products for Prepar3D, installer requests

Eric Bakker

• Deputy Sheriffs

Dear Mathijs,

I appreciate that you make Prepar3D installers with your new Aerosoft products.

I think P3D is gaining momentum.

Some other important developers like Orbx and REX are also partnering up with Lockheed Martin.

Would you please consider making P3D installers for Aerosofts 'older' products, like the Catalina, Beaver, Twin Otter, Katana, Dimona, F-16, etc.? And the sceneries of course.

Sometime ago you wrote that you might consider this when you get enough requests.

So I start a request thread here :D

My requests:

- Beaver

- Catalina

- Katana

- F-16

Considering all four products you listed work fine in P3D by SIMPLY copying relevant files and in the case of the Beaver making a simple edit to some files (well documented), there really is little point in Aerosoft wasting time and money making installers for these older products, unless of course you would like to fund aerosoft to do this? Surely time and money is best invested in producing new titles taking advantage of the newer simulator.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Considering all four products you listed work fine in P3D by SIMPLY copying relevant files and in the case of the Beaver making a simple edit to some files (well documented), there really is little point in Aerosoft wasting time and money making installers for these older products, unless of course you would like to fund aerosoft to do this? Surely time and money is best invested in producing new titles taking advantage of the newer simulator.

I assume the Aerosoft 'installer-maker' person is not necessarily a developer (who better spend his time on developing new stuff, agreed).

My little list was just a start. I am also curious how many Aerosoft customers actually do have P3D installed.

You have already made the move to P3D and did the installs manually. Fine.

I think more people are interested in trying P3D but do not want the hassle of finding out what works and what not, and what needs to be edited.

If Aerosoft makes these installers and is shown at the LM site as 'partner'I am convinced that this will help to make P3D the next step for FSX users.

People want a list of what does and doest work from the aerosoft catalogue, no problemo, Im quite happy to make a list of everything I have got to work. As for requiring installers people are so soft. If one cant copy and paste files from a to b or f to g then you should prehpas be trading in your PC for an for the latest x-station/WeeBox or what ever they are.

• Deputy Sheriffs

People want a list of what does and doest work from the aerosoft catalogue, no problemo, Im quite happy to make a list of everything I have got to work.

Thank you for your kind offer, please show me your list. And add per item what needs to be done besides copy and paste, if applicable.

Matt.

I love the feel of P3D, and I certainly can move files from A to B, but I think that is beside the point. A lot of users who might be interested in flying P3D, WILL be put off by having to manually copy/paste files, nomatter how "simple" others might consider. Having to edit files, as in the case of the Beaver, well this is well beyond the reach of a majority of flight simmers. Not all are nerds like us Matt.

I think, to secure the success of Prepar3d, which I believe if THE most important thing, as this is the key to the future of flight simming, at least if we want to keep using the interface we are used to from FSX, and all the addons, then installers for older addons from all the major developers are the without doubt a total MUST.

The easier the move, the bigger the succes. This is why I have lost faith in X-Plane, after buying both version 9 and 10.... And now P3D is available for a very fair chunk of money, we need Aerosoft to follow many other developers and start porting bigtime. I think this will make the important people who are now developing new addons, having a job of doing just that, in the future also.

... As for requiring installers people are so soft. If one cant copy and paste files from a to b or f to g then you should prehpas be trading in your PC for an for the latest x-station/WeeBox or what ever they are.

I'm pretty sure you speak for yourself in the above comment and not for any payware development team. If a producer of payware products harbored thoughts like your's they would soon find that they had no customers. I'd like to think Aerosoft is wise enough in their business methodology to realize P3D represents another sales channel and will respond accordingly with their products.

No developer should ever deem their level of competence as fitting the entire flight sim community. Surfing around the various sites will reveal that users come in all levels of competency and expecting customers to get down and dirty with copying and pasting and modifying CFG files is not good business practice. Whenever I do a manual for one of my products I always structure it to fit someone who has limited computer skills. The more knowledgable can skip over the details as they see fit.

I certainly do speak for myself. I don't get the people who moan so much over something that really is as trivial as copying and pasting a few files. Its not rocket science, its one of the basics of computing. And seeing at the directory structures of the two products are identical it really is a no brainer, so one can only surmise it being down to the users sheer laziness. I dont buy that people cant copy and past, IT and computing is so common in modern life, even my dad at 75 yrs can follow basic instructions to copy and paste a group of files from FSX to P3D

I'm certain Aerosoft do realise the merits of P3D over the current alternatives or lack there of.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I certainly do speak for myself. I don't get the people who moan so much over something that really is as trivial as copying and pasting a few files. [...] And seeing at the directory structures of the two products are identical it really is a no brainer

But what of the people who do not have FSX installed or already deleted it from their system, or want to do that?

An installer for P3D comes in really handy then.

Matt..

For the love of Christ. You and I are usually on the same side of things.... But I cannot understand this. I find it totally condescending towards other people, to say that they should give up on flightsimming, (trade their PC´s for X-boxes, Wii´s or whatever you deliberately mispronounced) merely because they might not find things that you consider second nature, as easy.

It´s fine to offer opinions and express that YOU find it easy and would like development instead of porting, but not to give your fellow flightsimmers - people who, with their purchases, are in on securing that YOU will have more addons in the future - the virtual finger.

This saddens my heart that anyone would rake all others onto the floor with a sweep of your hand, if they don´t feel exactly the same as you.

• Upvote 1

Ole you should know me by know lol, its more cynisism than spite. But having said that what does bermuse me about flight simmers, well two things:

Patience, they have none and always hounding about a product release yet are happy to sit in the cruise for hours in their Airbus X....

They have the IT aptitude to spend 1000s building the ultimate FSX rig and configure it, spend hours tweeking their beloved fsx.cfg, yet then cry about copying some files :lol:

I wonder what would happen in they were asked to do something in a dos box? :lol:

Hi!

I'm about to change to P3D and was looking for information about how to transfer addons from FSX to P3D.

It seems to be very easy...I'm glad to hear that.

I'm sure that since it is supposed to be SO easy nobody will have to fund Aerosoft to release a simple software to help those who are not so computer savvy make the chage in a quick, easy and safe way so they don't, by mistake, screw anything up within the entrails of their new sim. ;)

If they decide not to release anything... well... I've learnt more about FSX trying to fix bad scenery or aircraft installations than I could tell here... so let's explore a bit more.

In fact... other companies don't care much if their installers are the utmost piece of... software not ready to be released to the public.

• Deputy Sheriffs

It seems to be very easy...I'm glad to hear that.

It is so easy that Matt will make us quickly a list of how to do copy all the Aerosoft products succesfully tp P3D. Awesome! ;)

• Upvote 2

• Deputy Sheriffs

Lol Eric I'm sure I didn't say quickly.... it takes some time to write instructions down, besides this weekend is a BF3 weekend :P

Of course you need to get the priorities right, but just think about what a rewarding project this will be!

Instead of Aerosoft developers waisting precious time on something simple as copying stuff to a different directory, you will give the Aerosoft customers directions on how to do it themselves.

A new topic we will make of it, sticky of course, to be on top of the new Prepar3D forum here. WIth your name all over it, in large friendly letters, just beneath the title: Don't Panic!

WIth your name all over it, in large friendly letters, just beneath the title: Don't Panic!

Good "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" reference here, Eric! ;)

Of course you need to get the priorities right, but just think about what a rewarding project this will be!

Instead of Aerosoft developers waisting precious time on something simple as copying stuff to a different directory, you will give the Aerosoft customers directions on how to do it themselves.

A new topic we will make of it, sticky of course, to be on top of the new Prepar3D forum here. WIth your name all over it, in large friendly letters, just beneath the title: Don't Panic!

:lol: Theres a P3D forum here? I got no problems doing any of that Eric. But I will need your assistance.....

The Lawn needs mowning, the car needs washing, my shirts for work need to be ironed along with my trousers (no tram lines please), the rose bushes need pruning, the decking needs staining, the dishwasher needs emptying and refilling, the grocery shopping needs to be done oh and the RTWC II needs to be fished.

I will leave that little lot in your capable hands :lol: Meanwhile I going down the pub to work out where to start :cheers_s:

Let's make a BF3 party Matt :P

Any time :lol: Cpt_Calamilty of BattleLog...

• Deputy Sheriffs

The Lawn needs mowning, the car needs washing, my shirts for work need to be ironed along with my trousers (no tram lines please), the rose bushes need pruning, the decking needs staining, the dishwasher needs emptying and refilling, the grocery shopping needs to be done oh and the RTWC II needs to be fished.

Like I said, you need to get your priorities straight! :P