ADF radio and needle

billhuntsman

Does the ADF radio and the ADF needle in the compass work? I just flew a flight where I essentially flew over an NDB. The ADF radio was set to the correct frequency and the selector was set to ADF, but the needle in the compass never moved. The checklist item for navigational radios ON was green. Am I missing something?

Bill

The ADF does work.

First thing to check, if you start the fs x flight planner, does it know of the ADF you're trying to use? In other words, is the ADF beacon in your scenery.

It must be both in the scenery and in range !!

Most NDB has a range at around 30 nm.

Finn

Yes, I am aware of the range issue as well as interference from hills. I noted that I was flying within 1 mile of the NDB and there was no land interference, but no needle movement. I will try in a few other locations to be sure that the NDB is active in FSX. It certainly shows up in Plan G.

Bill

Try to turn that little knob on for ADF Ident and listen for the morse code.

Finn

Things are working now. I tried it at a different location and both the VOR and ADF needles work. Thanks for the help.

Bill