Recover indicator in icing?

I was fly in unalaska area with snow weather(not sure is normal),climb to about 2000ft temp was drop -2c ,then i notice IAS altitude v/s indicator was feeeze and has some ice build in leading edge.

And ice was dissolved by descent low altitude,but how to recover those indicator in flight?

I notice in V/S and RPM indicator can click "crack indicator glass",what function it is?

Thanks.

post-33547-0-63679600-1309538489.jpg

post-33547-0-91712600-1309538509.jpg

I was fly in unalaska area with snow weather(not sure is normal),climb to about 2000ft temp was drop -2c ,then i notice IAS altitude v/s indicator was feeeze and has some ice build in leading edge.

And ice was dissolved by descent low altitude,but how to recover those indicator in flight?

I notice in V/S and RPM indicator can click "crack indicator glass",what function it is?

Thanks.

Pitot heat will restore the instruments in time. This is standard fare and not exclusive to the Katana X but is covered in detail in the accompanying manuals which you MUST spend time with if you are to operate this aircraft correctly.

Emergency Procedure manual 3.3.4 for icing and its effects

The glass breaking has been covered in the forum. Please use search function

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/45117-what-was-that-for-again/page__p__302142__hl__glass__fromsearch__1#entry302142

Pitot heat will restore the instruments in time. This is standard fare and not exclusive to the Katana X but is covered in detail in the accompanying manuals which you MUST spend time with if you are to operate this aircraft correctly.

Emergency Procedure manual 3.3.4 for icing and its effects

The glass breaking has been covered in the forum. Please use search function

http://forum.aerosof...__1#entry302142

I was read manual before,you mean instruments can be restore by cabin heat in time? But i waiting about 5min without no ice on leading edge then instrument still freeze. ?

I was read manual before,you mean instruments can be restore by cabin heat in time? But i waiting about 5min without no ice on leading edge then instrument still freeze. ?

Yes, because you obviously did not apply pitot heat as you should have done.

Pitot heat is an anti-ice measure, NOT a de-ice measure and is applied whenever the risk of pitot icing is expected. So the low level heat from the pitot heating system may simply not have enough heat to quickly melt the accumulation, so you may have to wait some time.

This aircraft is about consequences, and you are now experiencing that.

Also the aircraft is NOT certified for flight in icing conditions, so if you have found yourself in a wing icing situation you would normally land as soon as possible. Consequences, you see?

Finally, you did suck on the pitot tube to clear it as part of the pre-flight checks? If not, you may have a physically blocked port and the ice may have nothing to do with it, nor will any amount of pitot heat clear it (and indeed could present a fire hazard).

Consequences.... ;)

Yes, because you obviously did not apply pitot heat as you should have done.

Pitot heat is an anti-ice measure, NOT a de-ice measure and is applied whenever the risk of pitot icing is expected. So the low level heat from the pitot heating system may simply not have enough heat to quickly melt the accumulation, so you may have to wait some time.

This aircraft is about consequences, and you are now experiencing that.

Also the aircraft is NOT certified for flight in icing conditions, so if you have found yourself in a wing icing situation you would normally land as soon as possible. Consequences, you see?

Finally, you did suck on the pitot tube to clear it as part of the pre-flight checks? If not, you may have a physically blocked port and the ice may have nothing to do with it, nor will any amount of pitot heat clear it (and indeed could present a fire hazard).

Consequences.... ;)

Haha,i hear da20 can't fly in icing condition because not have De-ice device from my friend.

About restore instrument,i was read you post explanation,and it's re-work by "crack it",but only IAS still stuck ,i guess pilot-tube still suck with snow day.

Anyway this aircraft really good.Even in cockpit can be fog...

post-33547-0-44954500-1309592930.jpg

As mentioned there is no pitot heat. Try to get out of the icing area and then wait for the ice to melt. The cabin temperature only influences everything wihting the cabin. ;)