C-1 Eclipse

After watching this:

, I have two questions.

a. I'm guessing that this is indeed the C-1 right?

b. Is the C-1 capable of aerobatics, or is this guy just a complete nutter? Either way, I think Marcel can expect another sale thanks to me, once this is released!

a: No, thats a DV-20 Katana, an earlier variant of the DA-20 Katana.

b: As far as I know it is neither allowed with the DV-20 nor with the DA-20-C1 to perform aerobatics so yes, this guy seems to be a complete nutter. wacko.gif

2.9. APPROVED MANEUVERS

This airplane is certified in the UTILITY Category in accordance with JAR-VLA.

Permissible Utility Category Maneuvers:

a) All normal flight maneuvers

B) Stalls (except whip stalls)

c) Lazy Eight’s Entry speed: 116 kts (215 km/h)

Chandelles: Entry speed: 116 kts (215 km/h)

Steep turns in which the angle of bank does not exceed 60°

d) Spinning (with Wing Flaps UP)

NOTE

Aerobatics are prohibited.

Not just a nutter. An irresponsible nutter.

He probably will realize what he's doing wrong when the wings snap off at some point. I just feel sorry for the passenger who doesn't realize in what kind of situation she is stuck there.

The wing structure is actually very strong. It's the tail or elevator that would break off first. The main reason the aircraft isn't certified for aerobatics is, firstly, it's not certified in that class (chicken and egg, but it's worth mentioning) and mainly, the Rotax does not respond well to being inverted in this form.

Manufacturer limits are no more than 5 sec at negative G and at a maximum of -0.5g - usually, aircraft with Rotax 912s that ARE going to be used legitimately for more advanced manoeuvres have an additional oil pump or oil pick up included in the crankcase (the 912 uses a blowback system to return oil) to prevent oil pooling or oil starvation.

The pilot doe not break the engine limits in the video, but that doesn't make him any less of a knob.