What was that for again...?

tup61

'Hmmmm,' I thought. 'What's that hand symbol doing over the VS gauge... Let's click on it.' Nothing. 'Let's right-click on it...' O my dear! What did I do!!! Shock! 'Let right-click again...' Aaaah, no, more mayhem!

What was that for again...? I forgot why you can break that little window...

BTW There is one thing I do NOT like about the Katana... that you can set RPM by moving the mouse over the RPM gauge.... Naaaaah, that can't be realistic! :P Wonder why this feature is implemented because it doesn't seem to fit with the realism. No big deal of course...

BTW Tip: what do you do when you have repairs going on? Visit this forum! ;) Now let's see if the gauge glass has been repaired. And my flaps too. (I have to admit I used the flaps at a too high speed on purpose because all the time I have been flying the Katana, nothing had to be repaired and I wondered if the damage system really worked... Well, it does... ^_^ )

'Hmmmm,' I thought. 'What's that hand symbol doing over the VS gauge... Let's click on it.' Nothing. 'Let's right-click on it...' O my dear! What did I do!!! Shock! 'Let right-click again...' Aaaah, no, more mayhem!

What was that for again...? I forgot why you can break that little window...

BTW There is one thing I do NOT like about the Katana... that you can set RPM by moving the mouse over the RPM gauge.... Naaaaah, that can't be realistic! :P Wonder why this feature is implemented because it doesn't seem to fit with the realism. No big deal of course...

BTW Tip: what do you do when you have repairs going on? Visit this forum! ;) Now let's see if the gauge glass has been repaired. And my flaps too. (I have to admit I used the flaps at a too high speed on purpose because all the time I have been flying the Katana, nothing had to be repaired and I wondered if the damage system really worked... Well, it does... ^_^ )

Breaking the glass will re-enable the device if a static port becomes blocked, by creating a new source for pressure differential - but in a reversed sense (i.e. a climb of 500ft/min will show as a descent of 500ft/min on the gauge).

Reason for mouseover on the rpm gauge is the only alternative is to look down for the rpm lever, and lose spatial awareness right when you might not want to. It's needed because in Realistic mode there is no direct control of the rpm lever possible, save by the mouse - and in turbulence... whoops! :o

You can use the VSI as alternate static port. In emgergencies...

I added the clickspot on the RPM gauge because it can be hard to adjust RPM with the low positioned lever with your mouse and checking the indication at the top of the panel. ;)

Ups, Simon, you are too fast... :D

Ok, thanks for the explanation. (Got to do some reading into that static port stuff... :blush: )

About the RPM: I understand. (And I was of course kidding when I said there is one thing I do NOT like about the Katana!) I have to admit (here we go...) that after take off I always simply align the RPM lever with the bottom of the arrow like this...

194align.jpg

...and then never touch it again until approach... Not exactly pro, I guess...? :blush: So far this ALWAYS gives me a nice and steady RPM of 2200: near the top, but on the safe side and not too low (the plane isn't that fast so I like to get every ounce of speed out of it). I have to add though that because I don't have rudders I always fly with no wind at all. I guess that when fly with wind, my method won't work anymore (please correct me if I am wrong, because there is a big change I am...! ^_^ )

EDIT

The realism of the Katana makes me think if I should invest in some rudder pedals... for more realism... Maybe it's time for that after all these years of casual flying...

Ok, thanks for the explanation. (Got to do some reading into that static port stuff... :blush: )

About the RPM: I understand. (And I was of course kidding when I said there is one thing I do NOT like about the Katana!) I have to admit (here we go...) that after take off I always simply align the RPM lever with the bottom of the arrow like this...

194align.jpg

...and then never touch it again until approach... Not exactly pro, I guess...? :blush: So far this ALWAYS gives me a nice and steady RPM of 2200: near the top, but on the safe side and not too low (the plane isn't that fast so I like to get every ounce of speed out of it). I have to add though that because I don't have rudders I always fly with no wind at all. I guess that when fly with wind, my method won't work anymore (please correct me if I am wrong, because there is a big change I am...! ^_^ )

EDIT

The realism of the Katana makes me think if I should invest in some rudder pedals... for more realism... Maybe it's time for that after all these years of casual flying...

Actually that's very close to how I do it in the real thing. I have forefinger and thumb rested on the serrated wheel and then I `feel` the gap with my other fingers down the slot - you can get very consistent results that way and you only need a quick glance from the sacred six to the rpm gauge to verify, which is rather oddly placed on the right side of the panel - given that flight limitations are prop rpm limited more than manifold pressure, it's odd they didn't just place on the left side of the radio stack - the C1 usually has it adjacent to the Altimeter.

There's a lot of `touchy, feely` involved in small GA, not just because you're often rubbing shoulders with the person next to you... ;)

Thanks! I'm almost surprised to see 'my' method is quite realistic...! ;)

BTW Of course I ALWAYS check the RPM gauge to see if RPM is indeed (around) 2200...! With a realistic plane like this you just never know.

EDIT

Oh please do. You'll wonder how you ever managed without them. The only thing you'll have to contend with is stopping yourself twisting the life out of the joystick! :wacko:

Oh please do. You'll wonder how you ever managed without them. The only thing you'll have to contend with is stopping yourself twisting the life out of the joystick! :wacko:

I was amazed at how un-coordinated I had become with out using pedals! They do take some getting used too...But well worth it once you do.

Cody