Huey X throttle start

Burner762

I fell in love wth this helicopter but there is one problem that was made aware to me by a real Huey helicopter pilot. He now flies the Bell OH-58C, but has had hundreds of hours in a Huey. He informed me that when he starts his engine that the throttle is rolled all the way to idle, then he depresses the starter until 12-15% N1 and then turns his throttle past the idle release button to introduce fuel into the engine and thats how it gets started, after that the engine is self sustaining. He said after starting the engine and watching to make sure he doesnt have a hot start he rolls the throttle to full slowly. He said that the Huey X checklist looked about right from what he can remember about the Huey, but said some things were missing, obviously because it is just a simulator. He said that for the Huey, N1 is 40% and for the OH-58C its 12-15% because its a smaller engine than the Huey. I told him that the only way you can start the Huey X is to have the throttle rolled just passed the idle release button to 8% throttle, and he said that is wrong. The way the Huey is started is the same as the OH-58C. The throttle must be turned all the way to idle to 0%, then the started button must be depressed until 40% N1 on the turbine, then the throttle is rolled past the idle release button to introduce fuel into the turbine because then there is enough oxygen to fuel ratio to light the fuel and start the self sustaining turbine. I am posting this so that the developers can make the Huey X realistic in that aspect. I understand it is just a simulator and that there are some people out there that have no flight experience before or dont understand the operation of turbines. It would be nice to have a fully functional realistic Huey. Everything is spot on but the unrealistic way the engine should be started. It would be awesome if this problem could be solved, or if it cant be fixed because of FSX.

Thanks!

It can't be done because of FSX.

Dodosim are working on a fully-realistic version. Have been for a long time, and still are. Which given their previous experience with the 206 suggests its not easy, even for them. And you can expect to pay. Lots. Realism costs.

I love the Huey, but after reading up on the Bell 206 for FSX by Dodosim, Im just going to go with that. I just built a helicopter sim with collective, cyclic, and anti torque pedals, so I need more realism!

obviously it can! You just said it cant be done because of FSX, but yet Dodosim is working on this "Fully Realistic" version for.......... FSX...

Obviously it can't, or else it would already have been done. The fact that Dodosim - with a track record in realistic helo starts - have yet to produce anything resembling a Huey that starts `correctly` tells me - and you - that it can't.

As with all things, it may be achievable by using programming OUTSIDE of the simulator. But it hasn't yet. So obviously it can't. For now.

You may want to do your own research on the faults of the turboprop/turbine engine modelling in FSX. Clearly you don't understand the issues.

Yes it can you should do your own research I bought the dodosim bell 206 last night and guess what you can which means that their huey coming out can which means you could start the huey x like that they just didn't program it right. Don't be ignorant! The start up for the dodosim on the checklist states roll throttle to zero, depress starter until 12-15%n1, roll throttle to 6%, continue depressing starter until 58%n1, and then last roll throttle to full. I hope you bought the program an aren't just talking out of your ass, get your straight, cause obviously it can be done...

That is all.....

Yes it can you should do your own research I bought the dodosim bell 206 last night and guess what you can which means that their huey coming out can which means you could start the huey x like that they just didn't program it right. Don't be ignorant! The start up for the dodosim on the checklist states roll throttle to zero, depress starter until 12-15%n1, roll throttle to 6%, continue depressing starter until 58%n1, and then last roll throttle to full. I hope you bought the program an aren't just talking out of your ass, get your straight, cause obviously it can be done...

That is all.....

I did my research. I can't find the Dodosim Huey. Neither can you. The engines in the 206 and the Huey bear no similarity whatsoever, beyond a common description as a `turboshaft`. You will now explain the architectural differences between the Allison and the T53-L-13 engine, or else you will be branded a buffoon.

That is all.

Don't be a troll! The process is the same the only difference is the size of the engine! I know the dodosim huey isn't out yet but if they can make a real engine start procedure on the 206, then aerosoft can! All I'm getting at is that if one company can make a real engine start then aerosoft can.

Don't be a troll! The process is the same the only difference is the size of the engine! I know the dodosim huey isn't out yet but if they can make a real engine start procedure on the 206, then aerosoft can! All I'm getting at is that if one company can make a real engine start then aerosoft can.

Process is NOT the same. Go look it up because you're boring me. A 206 Allison is NOT a Lycoming T53. N E Fule no that.

Except one, seemingly. Who won't explain it despite being asked, thereby confirming what we suspected.

You don't understand the difference.

Aside from Dodosim, who has made a correctly-configured turboshaft for FSX? One, that's who, and it wasn't Aerosoft. So why don't you go ask them why it took two years to develop and represents only the one make and type of engine? And ask another why it's taken more than three years for their turboshaft, when they already had a correctly-performing model in FS2004..? :mellow:

So if you don't understand the difference, can't be bothered to look it up, don't comprehend the sim limitations involved and think it's simply a matter of demanding petulantly, why don't YOU go and knock up a complete engine model and show us `trolls` how it's done..? :mad:

Hello Mr. "Burner",

just to clarify somethings:

In a real Huey (i checked it today) you have to position the throttle just below idle stop, NOT AT IDLE (to give you the chance to cut off immediately in case of a hot start), then you press the start button, hold till 40 % N1 or 40 seconds, then wait for stabilised idle (70% +-2%), now you increase slowly the throttle until reaching 6400 to 6600 Eng RPM. Exactly the same procedure is programmed in the HueyX!

Best regards

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Process is NOT the same. Go look it up because you're boring me. A 206 Allison is NOT a Lycoming T53. N E Fule no that.

Except one, seemingly. Who won't explain it despite being asked, thereby confirming what we suspected.

You don't understand the difference.

Aside from Dodosim, who has made a correctly-configured turboshaft for FSX? One, that's who, and it wasn't Aerosoft. So why don't you go ask them why it took two years to develop and represents only the one make and type of engine? And ask another why it's taken more than three years for their turboshaft, when they already had a correctly-performing model in FS2004..? :mellow:

So if you don't understand the difference, can't be bothered to look it up, don't comprehend the sim limitations involved and think it's simply a matter of demanding petulantly, why don't YOU go and knock up a complete engine model and show us `trolls` how it's done..? :mad:

The 206 runs in FSX and I totally agree with burner. If you watch the hovercontrol forum you can get the reason why the release is waiting for. They are busy in other project´s and real life. Their 206 is the best Heli ever for MS Flightsim and we hope the Huey will be too. What burner means is, if one can so Aerosoft can too. DO IT.

Don´t miss understood. I like the Aero Huey very much, is at this time the best Huey.