Gen Light

twright

Hi,

I bought this add on this morning and had a little fly and it's brilliant! The level of fidelity and attention to detail is amazing. After taking her for a short flight and covering the windscreen with oil as I left the oil cap off (oops!), I noticed when i'd landed and the throttle was at idle that there was a red Gen light on the panel. It went away when I increased the throttle a little. What have I done wrong or is that just an aircraft quirk (like in the Warriors I fly in RL the Vac light illuminates at very low power)?! :D

Thanks,

Tom Wright

Hi,

I bought this add on this morning and had a little fly and it's brilliant! The level of fidelity and attention to detail is amazing. After taking her for a short flight and covering the windscreen with oil as I left the oil cap off (oops!), I noticed when i'd landed and the throttle was at idle that there was a red Gen light on the panel. It went away when I increased the throttle a little. What have I done wrong or is that just an aircraft quirk (like in the Warriors I fly in RL the Vac light illuminates at very low power)?! :D

Thanks,

Tom Wright

No, that's real. At low rpm the genrator can't put out enough power to offset whatever you have running sucking amps - look at the ammeter and it will be registering `0` or negative at low engine rpm. The Systems manual specifically mentions that you have around 20 minutes of battery, but of course the other option is to shut down whatever you don't need - GPS, Transponder etc,

I've been leaving the throttle up just enough to keep the light out during ground ops. Can't really see any harm. Keeps the battery charged and I fugure gives the added benefit of keeping the plugs clean.

Ah that'll explain it! Very realistic indeed!

Thanks,

Tom

Actually, something similar IS modelled in the default C172 - if the RPM's drop the oil warning light comes on.

It's fine for short periods but if it doesn't go out when the throttle is advanced there's a problem.