Damage and failures

tup61

The manual says something about the FSX crash detection and the Katana, but it's not really clear to me if I should set FSX crash detection etc. on or off in order to (for instance) damage the wheels of the Katana while landing or to damage the flaps when using them at a too high speed... Will the Katana, at realistic settings, get damaged regardless of the FSX realism settings... or not?

The systems are completely independant. A FSX crash detection will not cause any further damages to the structure. But the hard ground contact before FSX detects the crash will do.

During development I thought about resetting all hours on the fuselage, the engine and other parts and giving you a new plane if a FSX crash is detected. It would be like a "restart level" in computer games... realistic but perhabs also little frustrating. :)

Ok, thanks. I'll turn off the crash detection then: too often I get a crash during taxiiing because of an invisible box somewhere... I rather only 'use' the more realistic Katana damage system.

I suppose that when I disable 'aircraft stress causes damage' (which is something else then crash detection) in FSX, that the Katana will still be damaged (by it's own damage system) when I do something stupid?

Of course: Hard landings, taxiing on bumpy ground without pulling the stick, braking on bumpy terrain with high engine power, high g-forces, high airspeed and hard maneuvers, open the canopy inflight and much more can be done wrong...

Awesome stuff!!! :D

All you said reminds me of the fact that I hardly know what you should and shouldn't do... The same goes for watching all instruments: I am used to planes working perfectly all the time and now I suddenly have to be careful... while I actually don't know what to take care of...! I never thought about pulling the stick on bumpy ground...!

So I wonder if there is a site or a book or a pdf I should read so I can learn WHAT to watch out for when flying the Katana...? I might be doing things the wrong way without knowing it... and without EVER knowing it. Like that stick pulling on bumpy ground... A lot comes down to common sense, of course, but surely not everything.

Maybe someone could make a lit if things you shouldn't do? I'd hate to ruin my Katana without knowing how I did it... Hm, talking about common sense...: I'll start by reading ALL the manuals Instead of only the ones I thought I needed... I never read a Limitations pdf, but I will do that today! Thanks to the Katana.;)

Awesome stuff!!! :D

All you said reminds me of the fact that I hardly know what you should and shouldn't do... The same goes for watching all instruments: I am used to planes working perfectly all the time and now I suddenly have to be careful... while I actually don't know what to take care of...! I never thought about pulling the stick on bumpy ground...!

So I wonder if there is a site or a book or a pdf I should read so I can learn WHAT to watch out for when flying the Katana...? I might be doing things the wrong way without knowing it... and without EVER knowing it. Like that stick pulling on bumpy ground... A lot comes down to common sense, of course, but surely not everything.

Maybe someone could make a lit if things you shouldn't do? I'd hate to ruin my Katana without knowing how I did it... Hm, talking about common sense...: I'll start by reading ALL the manuals Instead of only the ones I thought I needed... I never read a Limitations pdf, but I will do that today! Thanks to the Katana.;)

Yeah, that's the mindset to have. It's kinda like Accusim, but with preflight walkround. Although one can turn off the features and just `go fly`, there's plenty of other simplistic (or even `less complex`) GA to do that with - I love a squirt in the old Alphasim Rutan - so the best way to adopt this aircraft is with the attitude of real flight:

You arrive at the field (start FSX), check the weather (load the weather engine or select the flight) then you go out to the aircraft and you check everything as if your life depended on it and the previous person using it was a clown and a cretin. I love the need to dipstick!

Once you adopt that slowly, softly approach it makes getting into the air possibly the most rewarding experience in flight sim to date and brings a real smile to the face.

I actually spent three hours yesterday just comparing the walkround with my own recollections of the real thing (and reading the allied manuals). The only things missing are the smell of the oil and the sting of spilt mogas on scratched fingers (those bloody fuel drains are a right PITA). That and the smell of wet dog (Roddy, you know who you are, you were told "no pets..!") :lol:

I don't think even Marcel and team can replicate that, but I forgive them! :D

and you check everything as if your life depended on it and the previous person using it was a clown and a cretin. I love the need to dipstick!

Amen. I really LOVE to do the walk around (I also LOVE the dipstick!) and everything! And something simple as taxiing up to the runway has never been so exciting as with the Katana! For the first time EVER I have a bit of that sensation in FSX which I had when I did my first (and only) flight in a Cessna (as a passenger, of course). That tension... Will I survive the next hour or so... ;) Awesome stuff.

and brings a real smile to the face.

Now, there is a thing I can't picture you doing for the life of me. Reading your posts on several forums for years now, always berating people for the smallest of things, I can only imagine you as the most grumpy individual that I ever encountered. ;)

Now, there is a thing I can't picture you doing for the life of me. Reading your posts on several forums for years now, always berating people for the smallest of things, I can only imagine you as the most grumpy individual that I ever encountered. ;)

Which comes to show you can't judge people just by reading their forum posts... :D I think we are in for a lot of surprises if there ever will be some sort of real life encounter with all our virtual friends (and foes). :P

EDIT

Another 'explanation' might be that Marcel indeed made the BEST addon ever...! ^_^

Selective reading, or simply judgemental? Some of the most humorous posts in these forums have my name on them. So I guess your post says much more about you than it does about me. <_<

So I guess you can add `immodest` to the list, too... and for the grumpiness, what possible relevance does your post have to the issue under discussion? You are not benefiting the conversation at all. :mad:

Selective reading, or simply judgemental? Some of the most humorous posts in these forums have my name on them. So I guess your post says much more about you than it does about me. <_<

So I guess you can add `immodest` to the list, too... and for the grumpiness, what possible relevance does your post have to the issue under discussion? You are not benefiting the conversation at all. :mad:

Just a blunt but honest observation that was accompanied by a wink on purpose.

I apologize for being off topic, though. So let me rectify that by adding this: the Katana's immersion factor is amazing ineed. It forms a strong connection with me, because it definitely makes a difference that one has to actually take care of it. It certainly helps that I always try to fly realistically even if an aircraft doesn't model the possible consequences. The transition to the Katana was quite easy, because of that.

A question regarding failures: can random failures occur from time to time (sometimes things just give for no reason, because of faulty material or whatnot) or are all damages a direct result of not treating the aircraft right?

Yeah, he can go suck on his own pitot... ^_^

:lol: