Photo Ground Textures In Bgl Format

croftspardon

I am going through the long process of of re-mixing my ground scenery to get rid of the pale washed-out look in FSX. I have

completed my summer european ground textures (GEX) and it's looking great now.

For my more important airports I am matching the included photo base with my new textures at least in terms of colour temperature and saturation and overall tone, to make them blend in acceptably. The screenshot shows the kind of thing, as good a match as I can get with a batch-process one-off modification. I could match them exactly, but in most cases they (all developers) don't even match themselves it would take years to adjust each field at each airport!

I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction on getting access to photo textures when they are within a bgl. I am thinking here of EDLP. This has poorly processed images that wouldn't match anybody's scenery, but would be easy to sort out if I knew how to get access. I've looked in the SDK, it goes into the deepest detail on water blending etc. Then tells you how to add bgls to the scenery library- but nothing in between- like compiling and decompiling. Bgl decompilers just seem to give access to the xml.

I know this isn't a support issue, but it may be of help to you in the future- as an artist I can match anything with anything, a skill that you could use from time to time.

(There is a developer from a long way away that matches all their scenery together. They are ahead of everybody else, not because of technology, but because they adhere to art priciples. It's not so easy for anybody else as you have to see your scenery next to someone else's landscape- but a poorly matching airport can undermine all the good work in the design. It would be great if someone laid down a standard for all to follow. Easy to suggest, probably impossible to do! Anyway, that's why I made my own standard.)

Regards Keith

post-10007-12812408501_thumb.jpg