VFR London X

twright

Hello!

Purchased the aforementioned scenery package this morning and am having a problem with the airport textures at London City Airport, as can be seen in the following picture:

2009-12-27_18-9-54-803.jpg

As you can see, the ground texture immediately surrounding the aircraft appears an 'earthy' colour. As the aircraft is moved, or the camera is panned, this effect moves causing a 'flickering' effect, and follows the aircraft or camera. It doesn't happen over the whole runway, only the threshold and some parts further along.

At first I thought this may be because of the ordering of the scenery in the FSX scenery library, as I also have Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery installed and UK2000's VFR Airfields, but it all appears to be set up right with the London Scenery on top, with LCY airport right at the very top. I've also disabled the UK2000 LCY airport so it doesn't conflict. I also have all the display settings set up as instructed to in the user's guide included with the product.

Any suggestions on what is otherwise a brilliant piece of scenery?

Thanks,

Tom

Hello Tom,

What happens if you change your mesh slider and then let the scenery refresh, does that help.

Also try disabling all other 3rd party mesh and scenery except VFR London in the scenery library and see if the problem still exists.

This will check for compatibility issues.

Hi Shawn,

I've just disabled my Just Flight VFR Real Scenery for the South East and it sorted the problem. This must mean it is a conflict between the London X scenery and the JF VFRRS scenery. Whilst this technically has solved the problem for the London area, it now means I have no scenery (other than default) for the rest of the South East, which isn't really ideal. Are there any ways of making the two work together? Would it be worth picking up a cheap copy of VFR Gen X Volume 1 instead of the JF scenery, which i've seen available for under £20 somewhere?

Regards,

Tom

Hi,

The London scenery is on top, with the LCY airport scenery right at the very top. VFR Real Scenery is quite far down the list. I think what i'm going to do is ditch the VFR Real Scenery and get the Horizons Gen X one, as all the colours in most addon airports and the London scenery match that one better.

Regards,

Tom

• 1 year later...

Hello Tom,

What happens if you disable the VFR London photo-realistic scenery or try placing the london scenery on top so it has a higher priority as it seems that you have 2 sceneries fighting for the same layer.

Hi Shaun,

This is an old issue but, on reinstalling FSX and adding all my add-on scenery I have an issue with EGLC as depicted at the start of this thread. On initial install there is no issue with textures/bleedthrough until update 1.10 is added! I've carried out a number of things but to no effect. Do we know (maybe from the dev's) as to the cause and if there is a remedy?

Hi Shaun,

Yes, have Gen X installed. I think the last time I installed my UK/European Scenery VFR London X was installed first so didn't have this issue. May just need the relevant scenery moving up/down the list. Not sure.

Hi James, dont know if this is of any help to you. But this is how I have mine set up in the scenery library:

VFR London EGLC Airport

VFR London X

VFR Gen X Vol 1 Area 3 60 cm scenery

Pluspak x Airport Facilities

Traffic x AIrport facilities

VFR Gen X Vol 3

VFR Gen X Vol 2

VFR Gen X Vol 1

Note, I did the complete installs for all the VFR Gen X volumes. VFR London X is the boxed product patched to the latest version.

• 6 months later...

My issue also related to flickering textures

I am running FSX on a high spec PC i7 with a 580 nvidia gpu, and have just installed London X and patched to 1.3 however I am having a number of issues in both DX10 and DX9 mode

1)When I try to run it with DX10 (i set the provided DX10 preview program to on)the game runs ok but i get a terrible shimmering of tress which basically ruins the game

Does anyone know how to disable the trees on reduce the shimering?

2)When I run it in DX9 the game probably runs better overall in this mode however I get shimering/blocky london city airport taxi lines - even with highest anti alasing setting which makes all buildings and aircraft look really sharp the lines look really blocky and blurry and not smooth

Anyone know how to resolve this?

3)Can anyone direct me to a guide that gives me some recommended general settings for running London X/FSX?

4)I am also thinking of getting Manhatten X and read somewhere this add on actually runs better than London X under DX 10(less issues) is this correct?

actually i dont have UK2000 VFR!

only running london X VFR and ki tak and REX2 in addition to FSX accelerator

1)could you also give me some guidance on whether I should be running London X in DX9 or DX10 - the shimmering trees are making the DX10 version almost unplayable! but overall DX10 gives the best visuals if it werent for the trees!!!

2)for Manahatten X - which I will get soon - I understand this is better run in DX10 please can you confirm?3)

3)finally are there any good guides to optimizing FSX settings you can direct me to?