Question of the day

• Aerosoft

From today to the end of the year, one quiz question a day. Some will be technical (and we kindly ask trained aviators not to answer in that case, we EXPECT them to know it). The first question is a different one however.

Why was a certain Leon Delagrange important for aviation?

A tip, there is a MORE important reason then what Wikipedia knows.

First, he was one of the first clients of the brothers Voisin.

Then, he flew the first motorised flight in Italy in 1908 (he was the first person to participate in a foreign flying competition).

He carried the first woman in an airplane and he gave the first opportunity to a woman to fly in solo (it was Thérèse PELTIER, his wife).

He died in an airplane crash when he was only 38.

He got one of the first French pilot license (the Number 3. Numbers one and two were given to Louis Blériot and to Glenn Curtis).

Something rather special:

A street is named in his memory in Paris. In fact, it's an important place for the aviation, as the HQ of French Aviation Army, the HQ of the civil aviation and the heliport of Paris are also located there.

He also beated lots of records: distance and time (The 11th of April 1908, 3 925 metres and 6 minutes and 30 seconds. A little later, the 29th of May (in Italy) - 12,750 km and 15 minutes and 25 seconds of flight. Then, the 6th of september 1909, he flew 15 times and a half round the terrain of Issy-les-Moulinaux, that means 24,727 km and 29 minutes et 54 seconds).

He carried the first woman in an airplane and he gave the first opportunity to a woman to fly in solo (it was Thérèse PELTIER, his wife).

It was the 8 of July.

• Aerosoft

Leon Delagrange was the first pilot to carry a passenger in Europe. This passenger was his opponent, Henri Farman.

Okay, what's your source for that?

I'll give you the win for the day, but my sources (AOPA Pilot April 2008) state he was the first aviation passenger in history. Taken up by Farman and without any doubt being served some crappy plastic lunch.

Okay, what's your source for that?

I'll give you the win for the day, but my sources (AOPA Pilot April 2008) state he was the first aviation passenger in history. Taken up by Farman and without any doubt being served some crappy plastic lunch.

Source? Here it is! You just need to speak French.

I don't know what about the first passenger in history or in Europe, I said so because of AngelsAndAirwaves's post laugh.gif . Anyway, thanks a lot!