Citation X and Vista 64-Bit

AMHOWLETT

Having recently upgraded my PC to a Packard Bell IXtreme (Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 1.5GB Nvidia Graphics Card) I am happily enjoying MS FSX at decent frame rates and stunning graphics :-)

I have just purchased and dowlnloaded Citation X which looks great but I am having two major problems.

1. During a takeoff run or landing, the aircraft veers left and right almost uncontrollably.

2. If a flight is ended FSX will crash and the message "Microsoft FSX has stopped working and windows closing down the application..." - this of course is a major problem.

When the aircraft is first slected and appears in the Free Flight Setup page window, I only see the inside of the aircraft (no exterior) I have found that by activating Directx10 on the graphics page the problem is resolved but I am unsure if this is infact the way it shoulod be.

I have a suspicion that there may be some issues with Vista 64Bit, but if anyone can assist that wouod be great as this addon looks great and I want to fly.

Hello AMHOWLETT,

Did you load a default FSX aircraft before loading the Citation X to see if that helps.

The good news is that the problems with steering were with my Logitech Pro Force. After a couple of calibrations it is now working fine.

However the problem with FSX crashing when you end a flight with the Citation still exists. I have just checked a few different scenarios. It is possible to fly with the aircraft, however as soon as you end the simulation I get the error "Microsoft FSX has stopped working and windows will close the application...".

As you can imagine it is most annoying. Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall?

Are there any patches I must download for Vista 64-Bit?

Thanks for any info you can shed on this.

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Does it also crash when you try to select another aircraft!

No. I can run FSX with all other aircraft, but as soon as I fly the Citation X, it will crash FSX when I "End Game".

Hello Andrew,

Sorry not when you end the game, try this, load the default Cessna then load the Citiation X then after the Citation X has loaded go to the Select aircraft menu and then load the default Cessna again.

Hello Shaun. Now dont laugh at what I am about to say...! What do you mean by "default cessna".

I just tried the 1st aircraft (Citation X Default) and then then changed aircraft to Citatio X Blue. Is this what you mean? I did try and fly but when I hit "End Flight" the message "DATA EXECUTION HAS CLOSED THE PROGRAM TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER. MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR WILL BE CLOSED BY WINDOWS"

Also, is it a requirement to have Directx 10 activated? If dont the aircraft have no fuselage (just seats and engines".

Thanks Shaun, I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

Andrew

He means a default aircraft installed as part of the basic FSX installation.

In almost all cases it is recommended to start your sim session with a DEFAULT aircraft, before switching to the aircraft of choice. In this case the recommendation is for the Cessna 172.

The reason for this is there are saved files and configurations that the user doesn't see, but which are loaded in the background. Many of the complex addons rely on those settings, but if you go straight into the sim session with a non-default aircraft they don't get picked up.

Also, ensure that you visit the 2d panel at least once when the aircraft loads. Almost all FS2004 portovers have system triggers spun off the 2d panel only, so if you fly exclusively in the VC you may have problems. You only have to do this once per flight.

Hello,

would this be the Citation X by Wilco?

If so, I guess the crashes happen because the aircarft is not compatible with the 64bit OS.

I have exactly the same issues with their Airbusses. They can be selected and fly alright, just untill the moment you want to end the flight. Then the simulation crashes. Starting the sesson from a default aircraft or returning to one after the flight won't change much.

I have brought this problem under the attention of the people at Wilco.

Their response was short and typical. Their aircraft are not compatible with a 64bit OS and they cannot ofer support.

I have put the airbusses in my hangar and untill Wilco adresses this issue, they will not fly again.

Luc Brusselmans

Hello Luc,

If they crash on a 64Bit system when you end the flight then all you need do is make sure that you dont intent doing any more flying after the plane reaches its destination.

No sense in not enjoying them if this is the only issue..

Hello,

would this be the Citation X by Wilco?

If so, I guess the crashes happen because the aircarft is not compatible with the 64bit OS.

I have exactly the same issues with their Airbusses. They can be selected and fly alright, just untill the moment you want to end the flight. Then the simulation crashes. Starting the sesson from a default aircraft or returning to one after the flight won't change much.

I have brought this problem under the attention of the people at Wilco.

Their response was short and typical. Their aircraft are not compatible with a 64bit OS and they cannot ofer support.

I have put the airbusses in my hangar and untill Wilco adresses this issue, they will not fly again.

Luc Brusselmans

Hello Luc,

You have hit the nail on the head. This is exactly the issue I have so it looks like it is down to the 64-Bit issue. As Shaun says, you can still fly the plane and when you are done you can crash the system. Whilst this is a valid work around, it really shouldnt be this way. Perhaps Aerosoft can also push Wilco to resolve the issue. Afterall, FSX requires the higher end PCs that will inevitably be a 64-bit OS.

The Citation X never worked correctly on my Vista 64... And Wilco DOES NOT support Vista 64...

Try turning off DEP (Data execution prevention)

Did you do this as well :

HOW TO SETUP Cessna Citation X under Windows VISTA :

* Go into program files\microsoft games\

* highlight Flight Simulator X folder and right-click on it

* Select the SECURITY tab

* Click on your username (not on Administrator 1)

* Click on the 'edit' option (it should have a pic of a shield on the button with edit next to it)

* Then you should be prompted by Vista security module, click on 'ALLOW'

* Then tick the 'Full Control' box and press 'OK'

You should then be able to use the Cessna Citation X.

Source : http://www.wilcopub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=support_citationx

Hello Andrew,

I dont think Wilco will change there stance on the products they have now as they also say they dont support 64 bit systems.

There'a also a disclaimer on the Aerosoft product pages, "Please note Windows Vista 64bits is not technically supported."

• 3 weeks later...

Reading these problems of compatibility with 64 bits with Wilco products , I just ask me what about the Citation Mustang by FLIGHT 1 ???

Thank you for precising : Alain.