Flying the Twotter in AAA-some hints

benzinger

Hello folks,

I'd like to share some expieriences flying the Twin Otter in the AAA, as I instantly fell in love with those two products. I my eyes, it's the perfect combo. Thanks to aerosoft, guys, you take the flight simulator to a higher level! Great work!

I've been flying the career mode in AAA extensively for some days. Bush flying is completely different to "normal" VFR ops. I developed a way for almost perfect approaches:

Start descending rather closely to the destination: for 1000 ft to descent, calculate 2 nm to go (not 3:1, as recomended otherwise); reduce thrust to idle, let speed go down to app. 100 KIAS, switch of the autopilot. Plane will start a steep descent at app. 2000 fpm@100-120 KIAS without great changes in trim or steering. Cross the treshold at app. 2000-2300 ft AGL. Set heading to rwy hdg.-150 deg. You will fly away from the airport then, bringing you into position for a turn into final. Reduce sink rate to 1500 fpm, let speed drop to 90 KIAS, set flaps 10. Level of at app. 800 ft AGL. On a distance of app. 1.5 to 2 nm to the destination, turn left towards the runway, let speed drop to final approach speed, set flaps 20, descent into the runway at app. 650 fpm. THAT's IT.

With some exercise, you will be able to fly this approach smoothly without levelling off. Don't forget, in the Twin Otter, the flaps produce a lot of drag, and the engines react quite slowly from idle so set throttle early enough to avoid loosing to much speed in the final approach phase.

Have fun flying, many happy landings!

Thanks for sharing your tips, I'd say you're absolutely right: The Twotter is definitely the best aircraft for those strips.

Your approach procedure is surely better than mine (close eyes and dive :lol: ), most of all because you should always check the state of a runway before landing. Still, touchdown and slowing down is even more difficult, so always try to hit the best spots on those runways and hit the brakes.

If you use a taildragger you should always try to keep the aircraft in the air as long as possible and go for a 3-point landing.

• 11 months later...

If you use a taildragger you should always try to keep the aircraft in the air as long as possible and go for a 3-point landing.

Well, I picked up again in AAA after a complete reinstall of my pc and FSX. I seriously love the Bush Hawk, especially now that it has an autopilot, but must say I find it difficult to fly in AAA.

The global altitude of Kenya seems just too high (6-7 thousand feet), although it is rated with a serviceceiling of around 18.000ft. With any load in it I find it almost impossible to get it off the ground on the shorter strips and requiring higher powered landings to keep airborne while landing. Around mountainous terrain, climbrate is just too slow to get across.

So sad, I'll be planning my jobs towards the Twotter.

There's a reason we assigned 2 turbo prop aircraft to the career. The altitude is definitely a challenge for all non-turbo engines, the Bush Hawk as well as the Maule or the Robinson helicopter.

Still, challenge is what this addon is about. ;)