Fsx Building placement.

Hiflyer

I was playing around with a new photo scenery today, and it occurred to me, not for the first time, that what really lets down some otherwise fairly excellent scenery was building placement, IE autogen buildings in random spots, Oversize FSX buildings, (and most of them are pretty ugly, besides) etc.

It seems somebody could probably make a good penny (and create a whole FSX subgenre scenery industry) just by going in and redoing the building placement in many of the most popular FSX photo-sceneries and other areas. In fact just a product that completely re-did all the FSX default buildings with more detailed and higer resolution day/night textures would probably sell well, yet as far as I know this has never been done.

Is this an unpractical idea? :unsure:

Well you could try GEX. It's not photo scenery but its big improvement over the default tiles, especially when you mix in some good landclass product. GEX also helps with the autogen placement if I am not mistaken.

On your other point regarding autogen place over photo tiles. Probably the reason it's not better than what it is now is because its EXTREMELY time consuming to manually place autogen using the autogen annotator , let alone tedious. I have done some custom photo ground textures for small areas and I will be the first to say that doing the autogen placement is a real headache. I can't imagine trying to do a mid to large size city like LA, Phoenix or las Vegas. To be honest its such a whip that I think I would have more pleasure clean a bunch of port-o-potties than placing autogen.

Well you could try GEX. It's not photo scenery but its big improvement over the default tiles, especially when you mix in some good landclass product. GEX also helps with the autogen placement if I am not mistaken.

Yah, I have GEX but it seems I always uninstall in eventually because it seems to cause slowdown, not to mention making your scenery library organization kind of nightmarish! :blush:

I never know why some developers scenery takes one slot for a huge area while others take 5 or 6 slots that have to be kept in strict order for the scenery to work properly.....

On your other point regarding autogen place over photo tiles. Probably the reason it's not better than what it is now is because its EXTREMELY time consuming to manually place autogen using the autogen annotator , let alone tedious. I have done some custom photo ground textures for small areas and I will be the first to say that doing the autogen placement is a real headache. I can't imagine trying to do a mid to large size city like LA, Phoenix or las Vegas. To be honest its such a whip that I think I would have more pleasure clean a bunch of port-o-potties than placing autogen.

I gathered that it was a bit of a chore, which is probably why people only dabble at it. But that's also precisely why it would probably be profitable if some company was selling really well done wide scale aftermarket autogen and etc for popular scenerys.........

Yah, I have GEX but it seems I always uninstall in eventually because it seems to cause slowdown, not to mention making your scenery library organization kind of nightmarish! :blush:

Something is wrong then with the installation. GEX shouldn't cause any slowdowns because the textures are the same size as the default textures. Also because of this there is nothing that need to be done with your scenery library, beacuse it doesn't touch it. It just installes the new textures over the old ones.

Maybe you have GEX confused with Ultimate Terrain X or UTX. That does not change you ground tiles per say, however it does add some polys for golf courses, industrial complexes, hyw interchanges, and things of that nature. Also it adds roads, freeways, briges, coastline, etc. It does go into your scenery library and can effect performace depending on the features you use.

If your purely looking to make the gound look better look into GEX or Ground Environment X by Flight1. It looks good and wont effect your performance. Just make to defrag your harddrive after you install itor you may get some studders.

Something is wrong then with the installation. GEX shouldn't cause any slowdowns because the textures are the same size as the default textures. Also because of this there is nothing that need to be done with your scenery library, beacuse it doesn't touch it. It just installes the new textures over the old ones.

Maybe you have GEX confused with Ultimate Terrain X or UTX. That does not change you ground tiles per say, however it does add some polys for golf courses, industrial complexes, hyw interchanges, and things of that nature. Also it adds roads, freeways, briges, coastline, etc. It does go into your scenery library and can effect performace depending on the features you use.

If your purely looking to make the gound look better look into GEX or Ground Environment X by Flight1. It looks good and wont effect your performance. Just make to defrag your harddrive after you install itor you may get some studders.

You are right! I confused the two since I purchased them both and think of them almost as the same product. :blush: Now that my memory is refreshed, the reason why I don't use just Gex is that the textures seemed (to me) to be much more muted than default, and in the end I went back to original FSX

Seems I am pickier than I imagined! :unsure: