ADF in AAA

Tobus

After a couple of missions I noticed that the ADF is somewhat "off" when radionavigating with it to the dirtstrips having an NDB, sometimes by 10's of degrees... at least, that is how I interpret the map (NDB at field), although I don't understand the letter combo's after NDB frequencies.

Anyway, am I missing something, or are the NDB's NOT placed at the fields?

NDBs are placed close to most strips. They're not very reliable because they're pretty old. :D

But if you're within 2 miles of the NDB you should be able to spot the airstrip. After 10 landings you will know the location of an airstrip anyway.

NDBs are placed close to most strips. They're not very reliable because they're pretty old. :D

But if you're within 2 miles of the NDB you should be able to spot the airstrip. After 10 landings you will know the location of an airstrip anyway.

That seems silly... An NDB sends out a signal like any ordinary radiostation. The ADF in the cockpit should point to the bearing where the signal is strongest (the position of the transmitter). Unreliable / old transmitters might not have the range of broadcasting that you would expect, but to give a totally wrong direction (30-90 degrees off) has nothing to do with unreliability, but everything with the position of the NDB transmitter.

To me, this implementation of unreliable NDB's is ... unreliable :blink:

I didn't say they're misleading, I just said they're not always placed exactly at the runway (just as on every other airport) but in close vicinity. If I said "they're not very reliable" I meant it's important to learn the airstrips and not only rely on navaids. ;)

I didn't say they're misleading, I just said they're not always placed exactly at the runway (just as on every other airport) but in close vicinity. If I said "they're not very reliable" I meant it's important to learn the airstrips and not only rely on navaids. ;)

Well, still not convinced, since my deviations were large, not only on short ranges from the NDB's.

I can't comment further, because since yesterday my FSX will not run anymore, crashing on what seems to be NTDLL.DLL.

Strange, because I installed nothing more or less the last few weeks than AAA, but this has worked perfectly up till now.

If problems persist I will open a new thread on this. If FSX starts working again, I will comment on the ADF/NDB issue further .

NTDLL.dll - never heard of that before. :blink:

I hope you can sort it out. Then it will be easiest to use the GPS to check the ADF. The NDBs are displayed in the GPS, then you can see where they are placed.

NTDLL.dll - never heard of that before. :blink:

I hope you can sort it out. Then it will be easiest to use the GPS to check the ADF. The NDBs are displayed in the GPS, then you can see where they are placed.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get back to you.

And yes, from what I can see from a google "FSX ntdll.dll", it's not pretty. It can come from a corrupted ntdll.dll, which is part of Windows, or it comes from a clash with some program or add-on to that program with this dll file. Since the only 2 things I installed recently are AAA and Prototype a day before that, one of them is likely to be the culprit.

Luckily I have system restore automated, so I hope this can solve it by going back the day before I installed AAA (as my problems started the day after, curiously enough not right away). Since Prototype turns out to be a great but buggy steaming pile of poo, that makes it my prime suspect.

Basically, if ntdll.dll is corrupted, my best bet will be a complete reinstall of Windows (oh how i HATE that!). But that is my final resort, I will try other things first.

But i'm going way offtopic here <_< . . . I shall return ontopic!

Well, as I added in another thread about the crashing, I'm up and running again, including AAA.

What's really weird: the ADF is now also working correctly, locating airfields fairly accurately from about 30 miles out.

Problem solved!

Hmmm, talking of ADF, I had it working in the Caravan but now in the Twotter what ever I dial in the needle doesn't move... I must have missed a switch but I don't see which one...

Besides that I'm having a blast :P

The twotter is perfect for Africa...

http://www.geneva-racing.ch/images2/fsx/africa2/gallery.html

In the Twotter, you can set 2 different NDB frequencies. Between them is a selectionknob to select which frequency you want the ADF bearing to display.

It sounds to me that you:

- set frequency on ADF2 but are looking at ADF1, or vice versa.

- you are out of range of the station (I noticed 25-30 miles to be about the longest possible range so far).

- your avionics are off (long shot, I know).