Fsmap

pipeorgan

Hi, Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the speed and quality of the support for fsmap. Initially I had a problem with connecting it to a network pc but Thomas immediately pointed to my typo for the SimConnect configuration for FSX and "bingo" I now have a networked pc running fsmap, pretty cool!

John :rolleyes:pipeorgan Starting Member

rank_plane1_1.gifPosts: 1 Joined: May 12 2009

Talking about FSMap I spent about an hour last night "editing" the German maps which ship with FSMap by very carefully adding a tiny little Aerosoft logo next to each airport and airfield which Aerosoft covers as an addon. Given the large number of German Airports and especially German Airfields it is not possible to always remember if any given airport you are flying near is an addon or not. By adding the little Aerosoft icons to my German map series I can now see straightaway on the FSMap gauge in the VC which airports are addons. This makes it much more useful (at least for me) when doing diversions or just flying to lets see where. I am not one for wasting my time on default airports or searching through PDF's or manuals in flight to see if the airfield in question is an addon or not.

My feeling is that this functionality becomes a lot more useful if you use VFR Germany as the addon airfields blend in very well and it is really hard to spot from the air, even with clear weather.

Two things though:

1. The maps included with FSMap are licenced so I am pretty sure that editing the maps in anyway is a no no. I just did this as an experiment to check out the functionality and I must say that I really like it. Once all the German Airports and Airfields are released it will really come into its own!

2. My hope is that this same functionality can perhaps be brought in as an option in FSMap itself. Just an "extra layer" you could switch on/off which would distinguish if any given airport is covered by Aerosoft.

Below is a tiny portion of the German NW map which shows what it looks like with the icons. The idea here is for the icon to NEVER interfere with the information on the map itself.

post-22501-1242209966_thumb.png

Hi Thomas

A POI system with custom symbols is a great idea! But, if someone had the hundred+ German airports and airfields installed (once they're all out) then adding in all of these by hand will be quiet an exercise. Perhaps if people could somehow share their user layers or you could create a master Aerosoft addon layer? This would work best if multiple users layers are allowed so one could switch things on/off as required.