Forum Maintenance Period (02/05 - 03/05) ×

Download Problem

Steve54

I purchased the Catalina tonight and anxiously sat through the 300MB download. (smile)

I received a notification from my virus protection (McAfee) that there was a trojan in the download and the file disappeared.

Rebooted and scanned the computer.... no trojan detected...... so I turned of the virus protection which I hate doing..... and sat through the download again.

I now get a message telling me I don't have administrative rights???? (huh?)

Okay partner..... Obviously I'm even dumber than I thought as I can't seem to get this figured out.

I'm using Windows 7 (64bit) and have downloaded and installed numerous products since using this system (Really..... ask my wife.... Smile) but seem to be at a loss on this one.

Perhaps the light of a new day will bring forth some wisdom on my part..... but if one of you wizards can point me into the right direction and give me a kick in the back side, I'd sure would be beholding to you. (smile)

Sorry for the trouble..... but need a little help here.

Many Thanks!

BTW.... the screenshots look wonderful...looking forward to getting this worked out.

:rolleyes:

• Aerosoft

I just ran McAfee over the installer file and it does not show anything, so I got no idea how this could pop up. But to install any application that needs access to the registry you got to be logged on as administrator, just no way around that.

Will you let us know how this works out?

I just ran McAfee over the installer file and it does not show anything, so I got no idea how this could pop up. But to install any application that needs access to the registry you got to be logged on as administrator, just no way around that.

I am having the same problem,so I turned off mcAfee,this got rid of the Trojan error,but winzip and winrar both say the file is corrupt,have downloaded numerous times on three different computers but no joy,getting a little frustrated,as I have been looking forward to this kite for ages...

• Aerosoft

mcAfee again... We'll contact them and tell them it's not a trojan. Wish they would finally tighten their standards a bit, this is the fifth time they report a false positive on an installer. Could you tell me WHEN you see the message? As you can't open the zip it is not in the zip right?

About the download, I checked the server logs and though they are running pretty busy but nothing out of the ordinary. As you got the same problem on 3 computers I assume there is some caching mechanism between you and our servers and you are not downloading from our servers but from that cache. Clear you caches and try again.

mcAfee again... We'll contact them and tell them it's not a trojan. Wish they would finally tighten their standards a bit, this is the fifth time they report a false positive on an installer. Could you tell me WHEN you see the message? As you can't open the zip it is not in the zip right?

About the download, I checked the server logs and though they are running pretty busy but nothing out of the ordinary. As you got the same problem on 3 computers I assume there is some caching mechanism between you and our servers and you are not downloading from our servers but from that cache. Clear you caches and try again.

I am downloading from one of three computers on a wireless network,the main pc wont complete the download, gets to 99% then I get an internet explorer error which informs me of a bad sector,the laptop and the other pc can download the file with no problem,when I come to unzip the file I get corrupt or incomplete errors from winzip/and winrar,if I download and move the file via data stick to the main pc again I encounter problems with unzipping,I thought it may have been a problem with the download and aol,I tried downloading using explorer but again get the same problem,I will try from another location later and see how that goes,also I will try and clear the cache

a real strange one,not had any problems downloading from aerosoft before.

Your anti virus software is corrupting the file, it doesn't care how you try and put the file onto the PC, it will continue to disable the file until you turn off your anti virus software or create an exception for that file. It's doing what its supposed to do i.e. protect you from virus infection, but some poor companies like Mc-a-ripoff do not update their virus definitions very well, so legitimate programs can look like viruses because they have similar code fragments in them to real viruses.

Okay.... looks like the McAfee thing isn't just me...(makes me feel better) I'll Uninstall McAfee and download to a different computer and try again.

However, I'm still at a loss on the administrator issue. Unless I'm missing something it appears I DO have admin rights on this machine.... I've purchased/downloaded/installed all the Orbx sceneries, RealAir Duke, A2A Simulations P47, Carenado's last 3-4 aircraft plus others, etc., etc., etc., since using the exact same machine, Windows 7, and haven't had a bit of problems with Admin rights or installs so I'm confused on this one........ trust me... I'm sure it's something I'm doing..... I just can't seem to figure it out.

I do keep all my payware files on a separate storage drive and install from there..... does your file (Catalina) have to run from the primary C: drive perhaps?

Thanks.... I'm sure we'll get this figured out

Looking forward to a good day........ :)

Cheers,

Just a quick follow-up and close on this issue just in case someone else is having the same issues.

1. I uninstalled McAfee and will be shopping for different virus protection later today.

2. I ran the purchase product from my account page and then unzipped the install .exe and license stuff into my storage drive.

3. Ran the install and got a successful install msg. Yippee!!

Going in to FSX to check out your wonderful work now.

Thanks again folks for your help etc.

I knew it would be a beautiful day today....... Hope your day is a great one too.

Thanks again Aerosoft & Cat Team!!

Cheers,

1. TRASH McAfee

2. Put Internet Explorer in a hidden file, lock it, throw the key away, and forget about it.

3. Download Mozilla Firefox and AVG

My 2 Cents

Anti virus software.

I was using AVG. My computer started walking instead of running. Ran through some online virus scan programs. Shield Deluxe 2009 detected 14 mailware in my system that AVG did not see. Bought Shield Deluxe. Cleaned up my system where it's on a constant marathon protecitng the computer. Excellent virus protection with no degradation while flying or working with other programs. No I'm not working for Shield Deluxe either

Never heard of shield deluxe so I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. If you are going to pay for AV protection then you cant go wrong with ESET Smart Security or NOD32 if you just want anti virus. They are both available from ESET.

OK,uninstalled mcaffee antivirus,success! managed to download and unpack the 304MB file,

now to install into FSX and take the Cat for a spin.

Thanks for all the help

sijotill

• Aerosoft
OK,uninstalled mcaffee antivirus,success! managed to download and unpack the 304MB file,

now to install into FSX and take the Cat for a spin.

Thanks for all the help

sijotill

We contacted McAffee and as always they say that the problem will be gone with the next update. It actually was the fifth time they flag something that is not a virus, costing us a money in support, bad reputation with customers etc. You never read about these things in virus scanner reviews but let me tell you we seriously dislike these folks and the software they make.

Personally I swear by AVG, it's free, very low on resources and it never gave me a false positive. Every 6 months the system is scanned by a set of other scanners and I never seen anything it missed. Besides most of the time I don't even run a scanner, don't have a lot of use for it if you have Vista, FF and common sense.