Possible Problem - Fsx Freezes

vgbaron

First - this is a FYI at this point, not a complaint. System is q9650 @3.88 4GDDR3 ram, XP64, GTX 280 - system has been running fine for months. Use ASA, GEX, FEX FSGenesis, UTX etc. Have used other Aerosoft titles - F-16, Twotter, Lukla, etc with no issues. Use CH Yoke, rudders and throttle quadrant.

Installed the Catalina with no issues. Running TrackIR, ASA - started FSX and selected Catalina 5A - Black Livery - used CTRLE to start Cat - took off and flew around for 20 minutes or so with no issues. Made a water landing and taxied onto beach. Was in spot view. Pulled mixture controls back to shut down engines. Right engine stopped but left prop was still spinning and sound was functioning. Pushed left mixture forward and then back to shut off - prop froze, sound made a screech and then FSX froze solid. Tried various combinations to undo it but ultimately was forced to reboot.

Considering that I *almost* never have had a freeze or CTD unless I was trying an overclock and the only thing that's changed is the install of the CAT...........

I'm interested to see if others have any issues. I will try to duplicate the issue, hoping it was just one of those one time things.

Model looks great and flies like a dream. Really gets the best out of TrackIR.

Well done!

Vic

Took several more flights without issue. May have been one of those occasional glitches. If I can reproduce it,I'll let you know.

Thanx,

Vic

Took several more flights without issue. May have been one of those occasional glitches. If I can reproduce it,I'll let you know.

Thanx,

Vic

I've had the same problem on two occasions (in four flights). Hasn't occurred in exterior view. One each occasion I have been exploring panels via A, playing around with switches etc including fuel mixtures.

Sudden complete freeze. No error messages, can't alt tab or ctrl-alt-delete out of the problem. Only solution is to switch off/on.

Never seen such a serious crash before....

WinXP Pro, Core Duo 2.6, 4gigs RAM, 9600GT 1 Gig, Creative XI-Fi Extreme (could it be a sound issue?)

• Aerosoft
I've had the same problem on two occasions (in four flights). Hasn't occurred in exterior view. One each occasion I have been exploring panels via A, playing around with switches etc including fuel mixtures.

Sudden complete freeze. No error messages, can't alt tab or ctrl-alt-delete out of the problem. Only solution is to switch off/on.

Never seen such a serious crash before....

WinXP Pro, Core Duo 2.6, 4gigs RAM, 9600GT 1 Gig, Creative XI-Fi Extreme (could it be a sound issue?)

Can't really explain that one. Now of course FSX crashes rather often, it is not the most stable application on my system by far, but if you can repeat this it seems to indicate that the Catalina touches some memory locations normally not used. We have seen this same problem with any complex aircraft. The F-16, Catalina all have very large MDL files (when decompressed) and we seen these problems. Updating drivers often cures these things (and the Creative card certainly need to be fully updated) but they are often very hard to debug. One thing you certainly should try is deleting the FSX.cfg.

The Catalina, though very big, is a very standard aircraft and fully SDK based. I doubt it has a problem that could cause this, most certainly because it does not seem to be an issue for other users.

Can't really explain that one. Now of course FSX crashes rather often, it is not the most stable application on my system by far, but if you can repeat this it seems to indicate that the Catalina touches some memory locations normally not used. We have seen this same problem with any complex aircraft. The F-16, Catalina all have very large MDL files (when decompressed) and we seen these problems. Updating drivers often cures these things (and the Creative card certainly need to be fully updated) but they are often very hard to debug. One thing you certainly should try is deleting the FSX.cfg.

The Catalina, though very big, is a very standard aircraft and fully SDK based. I doubt it has a problem that could cause this, most certainly because it does not seem to be an issue for other users.

Thanks for the reply Mathijs - I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers. I have been having sound card issues (long story!) so I will rectify these problems and get back to you if it solves the Cat crashes.

• Aerosoft
Thanks for the reply Mathijs - I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers. I have been having sound card issues (long story!) so I will rectify these problems and get back to you if it solves the Cat crashes.

You know, I have been a long time fan of separate sounds cards but the last year I have had so many problems with them and Vista that I decided to default back to the onboard sounds. Never looked back.