Difficult to read hud

Migbuster

Hi...I purchased the Aerosoft F-16 on cd and was impressed with the well done outer appearance but found it really hard to read the tiny fonts on the hud. Im using 1024x768 res and making it higher didnt help. Please let me know if theres a way to make the hud font larger and more readable. Thanks :) Yoram

Mr. "Migbuster",

I don't know if Mr. Scott "saprintz" has something to say on this or not (so, jump in anytime ;) ) ...

But, I did look at the code and I think it is possible to do one of two things to the HUD.xml file

• 1. Set the font to "BOLD."

or

2. Increase the point size.

Either way, it would require multiple files for users for different screen resolutions. I myself use the same RES as you do with only one difference - I use 47' inch screens. So, for me the font size is not an issue but I do understand your dilemma.

Perhaps, Mr. Scott can suggest something ??? :unsure:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your reply, James. You have a 47" screen...jeez ..lol the font must be huge. I'll check out the hud.xml file and see if I can edit it. Just tried to find the hud.xml file and wasnt anywhere. Can you pls tell me where it is and if I can edit it? Thanks again. Best regards....Yoram

Thanks for your reply, James. You have a 47" screen...jeez ..lol the font must be huge. I'll check out the hud.xml file and see if I can edit it. Just tried to find the hud.xml file and wasnt anywhere. Can you pls tell me where it is and if I can edit it? Thanks again. Best regards....Yoram

Hello Migbuster.

I also had this issue, but i found a litle tips.

If you press + a couple of times to zoom inn and after that press Ctrl and enter to zoom out again, the hud remains in the same zice but everything else is zoomed out. Then i can read the HUD without no problems and the rest of the view is ok.

Try it and see if its help you.

Hello Migbuster.

I also had this issue, but i found a litle tips.

If you press + a couple of times to zoom inn and after that press Ctrl and enter to zoom out again, the hud remains in the same zice but everything else is zoomed out. Then i can read the HUD without no problems and the rest of the view is ok.

Try it and see if its help you.

Wow...thanks I'll try that!! Aerosoft should really fix this problem. :(

• 2 weeks later...
... I myself use the same RES as you do with only one difference - I use 47' inch screens.

You use a 47 inch screen and your screen resolution is 1024x768?? Somehow that does not seem right...I would think you would get better results and better quality with a higher resolution. What video card do you have?

You use a 47 inch screen and your screen resolution is 1024x768?? Somehow that does not seem right...I would think you would get better results and better quality with a higher resolution. What video card do you have?
Mr. deltaleader71,

Actually, I use (x3) 47" Inch screens on one Digital Triple Head2Go connected to a BFG Nvidia 8800 GTX 768MB OC (Water Cooling Edition). My FSX display settings/Windows Display settings resolution are set to 3480 x 1024 - 32Bits.

;)

• Upvote 2

Mr. deltaleader71,

Actually, I use (x3) 47" Inch screens on one Digital Triple Head2Go connected to a BFG Nvidia 8800 GTX 768MB OC (Water Cooling Edition). My FSX display settings/Windows Display settings resolution are set to 3480 x 1024 - 32Bits.

;)

ok that makes sense now...I was thinking 1 monitor @1024 must suck. But 3 monitors with a TH2G is cool. ;)

Yes, each monitor runs at roughly 1280 x 1024 with TH2Go.

Sorry for the typo; I ment 3840 x 1024. My Screens/Video cards will support 5040 x 1280 but, TH2Go doesn't. ;)

• Upvote 2

Wow...thanks I'll try that!! Aerosoft should really fix this problem. :(

Hi Migbuster. I don't think anyone on the development team considers this to be a "problem" that needs to be fixed, though I know at least one beta tester changed his mind and ultimately lamented the lack of larger text. But in the end it's a sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of issue. Had the fonts been made larger, the proportions of the whole HUD would have had to change, and it would have lost the look and feel of the real F-16 HUD. A "bulkier" HUD was actually created for one of the beta's, and almost everyone preferred the one we ultimately ended up with.

What zoom setting do you fly at? The problem is probably most pronounced for those who fly at unrealistic fields of view. (zoom 0.7 and below.)

Hi Migbuster. I don't think anyone on the development team considers this to be a "problem" that needs to be fixed, though I know at least one beta tester changed his mind and ultimately lamented the lack of larger text. But in the end it's a sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of issue. Had the fonts been made larger, the proportions of the whole HUD would have had to change, and it would have lost the look and feel of the real F-16 HUD. A "bulkier" HUD was actually created for one of the beta's, and almost everyone preferred the one we ultimately ended up with.

What zoom setting do you fly at? The problem is probably most pronounced for those who fly at unrealistic fields of view. (zoom 0.7 and below.)

Hi..thanks for ur reply.I use the default views usually. I did zoom in on the hud and it improved the readability of the text, but I dont think a real f16 pilot will look so close to the hud that his nose will be pressing against the hud. I think there shouldve been an option for bigger font.

Hi..thanks for ur reply.I use the default views usually. I did zoom in on the hud and it improved the readability of the text, but I dont think a real f16 pilot will look so close to the hud that his nose will be pressing against the hud. I think there shouldve been an option for bigger font.

Hi. I meant overall zoom setting, just the + and - keys. It sounds like you may have been trying to move just the eyepoint forward, as someone above advised... which is fine (until his virtual nose is on the glass, as you saw), but a totally different thing. Even if you move the eyepoint forward, but still fly at an unrealistic zoom, like say 0.5, yeah, there will be some difficulty seeing.

To make a larger font an option... well, beyond other issues, the size of the HUD gauge would have needed to double (since font size cannot be dynamically set within that XML style), and the HUD is already more taxing on the frame-rates than I'd like.

Having just taken a look, it seems to me that the HUD font size matches the MFD font size pretty nicely, and the MFD font size is almost certainly accurate, given the way that gauge was made.

I can appreciate your opinion, though, and there a few others who share it, and I wouldn't even mind it myself, but there were just so many areas within the gauges competing for limited developer time, and HUD font size was just not going to make that cut.

Thanks,

Scott