Air to Air refuelling

timc

I got the F16 shortly after release as a download but it wasnt until a few fixes had been released that I tried air to air refuelling (I'm using SP2, no Acceleration) and it all worked fine. That is, apart from the fact that the NWS/AR light flicked on and off as I slalolmed across the sky trying to wrestle the aircraft into some sort of control. After a bit of practise I managed to stay steady enough to take on a reasonable amount of fuel.

Now however, many flights later, and a couple of updates later, I just cant get it to work. I can get the F16 close and steady to the point that I can chose where I want to hold the F16 relative to the refuelling aircraft and sit there for ages. I then try another position for a while. Then another, and so on. I just cant work out what I am doing wrong. Maybe I am too close?

I've seen some of the images posted, by Finn in particular, about the proximity of the aircraft for this to work but I've tried replicating this without success. Does anyone else have any images or tips? I'm figuring that it has to be an issue with my position but having sat behind a 747 for 2 hours this evening trying to get A-A refuelling to engage, I'm considering tearing my hair out!

Bizarely, at one point I broke off the 747 and was about 50 feet below its altitude and about 400 feet off to its right when the NWS/AR light came on for about 2 seconds - the first and only time I saw it this evening! Could this be something worth investigating?

Timc

These 3 parameters must be fullfilled :

1. Ensure that the refueling door is open.

2. Ensure that You have the "tanker" locked on the radar.

3. Keep position behind the "tanker".

Then it should work

Finn

• 2 months later...

I have done all 3 of these things, but I still can't refuel. I can keep steady enough, because I see the red DISC right of the HUD disappear, but the blue text never appears.

Make sure you dont already have full tanks. I think the refueling only goes up to just over 7000lbs or something for internal tanks only. You cannot load ext tanks. Dump some fuel to like under 4000lbs. Then try the refueling. It should work. I do it all the time.

The problem that I had as it turned out was that I was too close to the 'tanker'. Even if you are rock steady (which I pretty much managed after soooooo many attempts) and everything else is set up right (refuelling door open, target locked etc) you can simply be too close for it to work. I found that by dropping back and down a touch it worked just fine.

Good point about the tanks being full though.