fsx.exe

PeterS

Hi

I have a twin boot system (XP/VISTA) and recently installed FSX on XP. If i try to load any of the missions i get the message "fsx.exe" and the program terminates. Free flight is unaffected and i'm able to "fly".

VISTA works fine for both free flight and missions.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I find much better frame rates on XP than VISTA and am keen to use XP for missions. I feel like throwing VISTA in the bin! Probably will do if i get this sorted!

Thanks

Hello PeterS,

What version of FSX do you have installed.

Is it the FSX Gold Edition.

Hi

I have the deluxe edition, i havent installed any add-ons other than acceleration, the problem was there before i installed acceleration -

I uninstalled FSX when i found the problem, i have tried;

FSX only

FSX with SP1

FSX with SP1 and acceteration

The same probelm persists no matter what.

Do you get this with all missions, even default ones?

Hi

Yes i get this error with all the missions, even default. I uninstalled FSX when the problem came to light (after installing acceleration) to see if Acc was the cause. A clean installation on it's own, with SP1 (with or without Acc) brings the same error message. This is a newly built PC - i'm at a loss!

This is very weird indeed. Could it be that you did not delete all files when uninstalling fsx? Maybe, as a first step, delete the fsx.cfg to see if that helps.

Also a screenshot of the error message might be helpful.

This is very weird indeed. Could it be that you did not delete all files when uninstalling fsx? Maybe, as a first step, delete the fsx.cfg to see if that helps.

Also a screenshot of the error message might be helpful.

I just followed the uninstall procedure and left it to uninstall. Not familiar with deleting this file - do i just delete this file and leave FSX installed or uninstall FSX and then delete this file. Please be a bit clearer - sorry - don't want to mess things up. I've had a few problems with VISTA and had to install/uninstall a couple of times - i just want to keep things as simple as possible.

Please also confirm where this file is located - hope this works.

Hello Peter,

Its located in the following folder.

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

If you re-install FSX you may want to turn the UAC off and see if that helps.

Guys - please bear with me. Could you please tell me the sequence of doing these things and what is UAC and how do i turn this off? Step by step please.

Before uninstalling again, try to simply delete the fsx.cfg (and do not uninstall for now), following the path Shaun named. On next fsx start it will be rebuilt. Sometimes this helps on things.

Before uninstalling again, try to simply delete the fsx.cfg (and do not uninstall for now), following the path Shaun named. On next fsx start it will be rebuilt. Sometimes this helps on things.

I'll try tonight and will keep everything crossed whilst doing it. Thanks for the responses guys.

I can't find this file. Just to recap, i'm trying to sort this out for XP. When i look in the c drive i have;

Battle of Britain II

Docs and settings

fsg2008

Intel

NVIDIA

Program files

Windows

BOOTSECT.BAK

Cant see AppData\Roaming etc as you've suggested?

I've tried using a search tool to locate the file in the c drive - no can do.

Oh, that was the Vista path, XP uses another one. I guess it's ...appdata/microsoft//fsx? or microsoft/games/fsx? just search for fsx.cfg in your windows explorer and you'll find it. ;)

Oh, that was the Vista path, XP uses another one. I guess it's ...appdata/microsoft//fsx? or microsoft/games/fsx? just search for fsx.cfg in your windows explorer and you'll find it. ;)

Okay - managed to delete the file and restarted FSX, problem persists, i've printed the screen with the error message on, hope this can be sorted.

FSX_Mission_problem_.doc

MFC80.dll - could it be that some AddOn is interfering here. Not sure if that is an fsx file. What addon aircraft have you installed? Maybe an older one which was made for FS2002 or FS2004?

MFC80.dll - could it be that some AddOn is interfering here. Not sure if that is an fsx file. What addon aircraft have you installed? Maybe an older one which was made for FS2002 or FS2004?

I have a few commercial scenery add ons (FSX compatible) but haven't installed any aircraft from FS9 a far as i can remember. I'll try uninstalling a couple of things and try FSX again as i go along. This is proving to be a right pain in the a*se. Thanks for replying again.

Another thought: The mfc80.dll seems to be related to Microsoft VisualStudio. As you're not too familiar with PCs I guess you didn't install or use VisualStudio or VisualBasic lately? It has nothing to do with fsx, so it's kinda weird that you get that error message.

Another try: Do you use Microsoft Internet Explorer? Maybe the error is related to the fact that fsx calls html documents as briefings. Do you also get the fsx-crash if you enter the Learning Center in fsx?

I had this problem and I managed to solve it by downloading the file and extracting it to appropriate folder the error report gave me.

First go here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc80 and and download the file, save it to your desktop or somewhere where you find it. Use winzip or similar to unzip the file.

Then copy mfc80.dll to WINDOWS\WinSXS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_[and then there is random letters and numbers

If it asks, let it owerwrite.

This is what I did and I hope it helps you too.

Another thought: The mfc80.dll seems to be related to Microsoft VisualStudio. As you're not too familiar with PCs I guess you didn't install or use VisualStudio or VisualBasic lately? It has nothing to do with fsx, so it's kinda weird that you get that error message.

Another try: Do you use Microsoft Internet Explorer? Maybe the error is related to the fact that fsx calls html documents as briefings. Do you also get the fsx-crash if you enter the Learning Center in fsx?

No - Learning centre seems fine. I do use Microsoft internet explorer.

I had this problem and I managed to solve it by downloading the file and extracting it to appropriate folder the error report gave me.

First go here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc80 and and download the file, save it to your desktop or somewhere where you find it. Use winzip or similar to unzip the file.

Then copy mfc80.dll to WINDOWS\WinSXS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_[and then there is random letters and numbers

If it asks, let it owerwrite.

This is what I did and I hope it helps you too.

Hi - I've got 3 of these files (VC80.MFC...blah blah) and when i hover my pointer over they all contain the mfc80.dll file, do i over write all 3 of these?

Also i've extracted the file to my desktop after downloading it and i've been left with a icon that looks like it's got a couple cogs in it and it's called mfc80.dll (suprise suprise), has this been fully opened, do i just copy this file as it is over the exisitng ones?

Gentlemen

I've bitten the bullet and decided to replace the new file over the 3 files on my PC as i'm a little impatient.

I've just restarted FSX and selected missions - selected a mission and pressed the fly button, everything crossed and guess what - IT'S WORKED!!!

How the heck you managed to suss that out i'll never know! I just want to say a big thank you to all the replies and you all trying to help a stranger out.

I'm going for a beer now and will keep any eye out on this forum, who knows one day i may be able to help someone too!

Best regards

Peter

That is good news, Peter. And believe it or not: We all started like that and now we help even more than we ask for help, so don't worry, you're on your way. ;)

Cheers guys!

:D